To save or not 23 week babies...

I didn't see the program because i couldn't face it but my mum was telling me about it.

My daughter Alyssa was born at 23 weeks weighing 1lb 4oz. She came out crying so by law, they said they had to work on saving her. I love her with all my heart and when she died, a part of me died too. After speaking to my midwife and also neonatal docts ect, they all told me that if she survived she would have a 99.9% chance of some problems and only has a 0-5% chance of living.

Of course everyone wanted her to live but if she came out not beathing, i wouldn't have let them work on her. She looked to fragile and i knew in my heart she wasn't ready to live.

I can see why they are looking into not working on babies before 24 weeks. The chances are so small and it is costing millions on the NHS. I agree with what some other girls have said, they need to look into every case indavidually!.

ER I am so sorry for your loses. :hugs:

And angelbump for yours too :hugs:

I do have to say one thing though, it isnt law that if baby comes out crying they have to work on baby. I sadly know some Mummy's who 23 weekers were crying but they still did nothing.

I do have to say one thing though, it isnt law that if baby comes out crying they have to work on baby. I sadly know some Mummy's who 23 weekers were crying but they still did nothing.

My appologies, i was mislead then by my doctor as that what i was told. He also said that if a women chose to terminate her pregnancy and the baby was born alive, by law they had to resuscitate... :shrug:

My appologies, i was mislead then by my doctor as that what i was told. He also said that if a women chose to terminate her pregnancy and the baby was born alive, by law they had to resuscitate... :shrug:

:shock::nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->