Toddler nappy rash/pain - what could it be?

pregatlast

Brand new mummy
Reaction score
My 2 year old developed really bad nappy rash at the weekend completely out of the blue. She has only had any form of nappy rash maybe once or twice before and not for ages. It went all the way from the top of her bum at the back to the front and looked really sore. It didn't seem to bother her too much during the day but seems to really distress her at night. The last 3 nights in a row now she has done a really horrible watery poo a few hours after going to bed (unheard of for her) and has been absolutely beside herself, screaming and scratching herself and hitting herself and refusing to let us touch her with wipes or cream.

This happened again last night, so I managed to change her and put some cream on. The rash looks 100 times better and isn't weeping anymore, it's just really red. She was still distraught and insisted on coming in our bed where she threw herself around for ages screaming and crying and constantly hitting herself between the legs on her nappy and saying bum sore.

I don't think the rash can still be causing that much discomfort - am I missing something really obvious?! What could be wrong??

Thanks

Sounds exactly the same as my lo a few weeks back. He only had a couple of mild cases of nappy rash as a baby but at 26 months got horrendous rash that was very pink, raised and sore. He was hysterical when we changed him, it was awful. I think it might have been due to his molars coming through?.

Took him to the docs it was that bad and was told just bad nappy rash and no signs of infection or thrush etc.

We made sure we changed him at least every 2 hours and I found the boots zinc and castor oil cream cleared it up better than other creams. It went after about 5 days. Hope you lo feels better soon.

Oh I never thought of that - she still has 3 molars to come through. She hasn't had any bother with any other teeth so it hadn't even occurred to me! I will check her mouth later, thanks! The rash is definitely getting a lot better it's just the distress that's upsetting. Hopefully it will pass it another day or two.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"