Toddler not eating pretty much anything now

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
My son is three in October, he was always a good eater, would eat tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, pasta, rice, bananas, grapes, apples, strawberries, yoghurt etc

Generally good balance and loved fruit.

Slowly he's gone off certain things, I thought it'd be a phase and he'd like it again. Kept offering it even though it ends up in the bin.

Recently he's eaten not a lot apart from bread... toast, bagels, will pick off everything off a sandwich and eat the bread and butter, garlic bread, naan bread. I tried my best to offer everything else on his plate first before giving him the bread type items.

It's now to the point where yesterday for example, he had no cheerios, wouldn't eat lunch, wouldn't eat a banana, raisins or anything. I was worried he'd gone all day without food and my partner bought a bloody chicken nugget happy meal. He ate the lot.

Its worrying because I was quite underweight as a child and I don't want him becoming picky and losing too much weight.

How do you deal with picky eaters?

I'm also worried that I'm giving him too many sweet treats. I've tried not to give him as many recently due to not eating dinner though. But maybe he's becoming picky in hopes I give him more sweet treats because that's all he'll ask for.

I'm going to do a ban on chocolate, biscuits, cakes and I'm not going to buy any more of my back up meals (which he sometimes doesn't eat anyway) like chicken dippers and stuff. I'm going back to basics with salad, veg, fruit, chicken breast, rice, pasta. I'm not going to give in, but I know he's going to end up not eating sometimes. But he's got to give in and eat at some point right? Or is that too mean?

The worst thing is he's now refusing bananas. He used to ask for sometimes up to three bananas a day. He's still eating strawberries thought but I'm worried he'll say no to those next.

It's a very normal phase. And everyone will have different advice on how to deal with it. With my eldest son he went through it when he was 2. He would only eat spaghetti hoops. In just a few weeks he stopped eating everything else. So I gave him spaghetti hoops for every meal. At first he loved it but within a few days he was reaching out for other foods as he was bored of eating the same thing. Within a week he was back to eating everything. No tears, no going hungry. Now my daughter is now going through the same at almost two. I'm going to try the same method and hopefully it will have the same success but my concern is she is too young for it to work. We shall have to see how it goes with her.

I think that sounds like a good plan. I think when you start panicking and limiting foods or caving in and offering something special because they won't eat, it spirals into this sort of picky eating (assuming there are no other issues, like sensory issues, that might be causing this, but it doesn't sound like you think there is). I think you're right in making basic, healthy things, no processed food and definitely no sweet treats, and make sure you always eat the same things. Offer him everything to start, but don't make a big deal if he doesn't eat some of it.

My daughter is older, but we expect her to try everything, even if she doesn't eat any more than a bite. She can have as much as she wants of certain things - like vegetables she can eat whatever she wants or proteins - but if she wants more of certain things, she has to try everything first. And if she doesn't eat, she doesn't get anything else, no fruit or yogurt after for pudding either. The only times I was a bit more flexible about it and would make her something I'd know she'd eat was if she was sick. Then keeping fluids and food in her was more important than worrying about if she was being picky.

I think being picky around that age is definitely normal. But it helped us to be strict about it, not cave in to worries about her not eating enough (mine is also small and has always been), and make sure we all eat the same things. It took about a month of being really strict about it, but then she was back to eating everything again.

Great job trying to limit certain foods. Kids are pretty smart, and if they think there's a chance they will get something super yummy, they will hold out for it. My DD did this today. She had her cereal for breakfast, then she had some fresh pear and peach. She then had a cheese stick and I got some apple slices and mango chunks. She was refusing to eat the mango, and had some apple. She did have a few treat today because I was proud of her for peeing on the potty lol. Plus, it was sooo hot so she and I both had some healthy popsicles. Anyway,
for a snack, I gave her some avocado and introduced the mango again. She didn't eat it at first....but eventually, she got hungry and ate it because it was there and I didn't offer anything else.

I made roasted chicken for dinner. At first, she wouldn't eat....but I knew that if she was hungry, she would eat it...and eventually she ate the chicken and broccoli.

If their choices are limited, they will eventually eat. It's not easy, I understand. I've worked with children who have sensory issues with food and it's a process....but hang in there. Don't give up. Keep trying to limit exposure to unhealthy foods until he is happy eating healthy ones.

My ds3 is going through this phase now and I'm trying to just ignore it. He picks at his meals most days but there is the odd evening meal he will sit and eat all of. He's not overly fussy on what he eats - what he eats one day he might refuse next time - but just how often he actually wants to. I'm hoping that he stops it again soon as both my older two went through the same thing

My daughter is almost 4 and has gone through this a few times. Normally she eats a great varied diet (plenty different veg fruit, nuts, bread so on) but days will pass and she will just pick. Generally I ask what she wants out of a choice so I'm not plating up things to throw out. When she was younger we did picnics so snack plates that could be wrapped back up if they werent eaten and kept to try again. I so try not to make a big deal about it but let her have control so that so that it's not a power struggle. I don't want food to become a battle in her life like it was in mine.

My daughter is almost 4 and has gone through this a few times. Normally she eats a great varied diet (plenty different veg fruit, nuts, bread so on) but days will pass and she will just pick. Generally I ask what she wants out of a choice so I'm not plating up things to throw out. When she was younger we did picnics so snack plates that could be wrapped back up if they werent eaten and kept to try again. I so try not to make a big deal about it but let her have control so that so that it's not a power struggle. I don't want food to become a battle in her life like it was in mine.

Great point!! That's why I make an effort to not say "bad" or "good" food.

Yeah that's a good idea. It can be stressful when it goes days when they haven't eaten properly, but most times it passes. Obviously if it becomes a concern then pop along to your GP for some advice but generally it does pass. Stay positive but keep it normal and relaxed. x

I'm just going with it with our 19 month old. She's watching her brother who has food issues (Asperger's so it's not the standard 'fussiness') and is copying him, and there's not much I can do.

I just offer food at meals. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat.

She gets milk at nap and bed time only.

I'm just trying to ride it out.

Totally normal. Our daughter started with the picky eating shortly after 2.5. She ate great prior; all sorts of veggies, fruit, grains, dairy, lean meats. A few treats here and there.

I just keep offering and I don't give in and make separate meals. Sometimes she eats and snacks so much all day that she won't eat dinner, but I know she is getting sufficient calories, nutrients and healthy fats.

It's not uncommon for breakfast/lunch to be the time when she consumes the majority of her food for the day. Today, for example, she has already had the following:

1/2 cup whole fat milk
water
low sugar, high protein and high fiber oatmeal
mandarin orange
3 pieces low salt bacon
1 large egg white--she doesn't like the yolk
chunk of tomato.

I find ways I can incorporate extra veggies and things into food. For example I will make scrambled eggs with shredded cheese and spinach and she will eat that. Getting her to help prepare and cook is another way she will be more interested in the meal. I always add fresh crunchy veggies like carrot, cucumber, peppers, celery as sides to most meals in the day. Also, look for nutrient dense, high calorie snacks.

One of our daughter's favourite snacks:

Full fat plain greek yogurt (healthy fat and high protein)
granola or oats with shaved nuts
chopped apple or banana and strawberry

Just ride the wave; it gets better.

We are going through this too. She wont eat most the meals i make. Spaghetti bolognaise, sausage mash and gravy and veg, lasagne, all refused. She wants to pick all day at organix bars, crisps and chocolate!!! She will eat apples and cereal. Will pick filling out of sandwiches. I just kinda ride in out. She likes peppa pig spaghetti in a tin which is 1 of her 5 a day. I can get fish fingers down her. But like you i waste food everyday and it's frustrating as i cook it so she gets a good meal.

It's a normal situation that toddlers undergo. My daughter usually eats anything i gave her before. Now she wants to eat rice, oranges and apples. What I did is I made several versions of dishes each food so that she can get curious and try eating it. Thankfully, it worked. But I don't know for hoe long though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->