Toddlers and soda / soft drinks

Carley

Mama to one and pregnant
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't give my 2 & 1/2 year old soda / soft drink? I'm constantly told that she should be able to have it. I do not see why they think toddlers need this... Am I wrong for standing my ground?

I applaud you. I intend to be the same. There is no need for toddlers to drink soft drinks, water is something that is the best for them. I don't want my child depending on Coke like my OH and so many of my friends do.

I feel the same, people in my OH's family started giving soda in a bottle from 8 months plus. I've seen people in the streets, in the mall putting full strength coke in bottles for babies who barely look 6 months old. My daughter does have juice (we read labels) 50% juice and 50% water. We just got over a heatwave of 40C+ for weeks and she needed some extra sugar because she wasn't eating a lot.

No, there is nothing wrong with not giving your child fizzy drinks. Water is so much healthier for them, i let nicole have fizzy pop every now and again but much prefer to make smoothies or give her water or fruit juice.

i dont let any of mine have fizzy drinks, not even my oldest and they are 10 and 8

x

My kids don't drink it either, even Hannah who is 5 still really only drinks watered down apple juice.

i stand by you hun, even her squash its watered down, but its normaly water threw out the day....

Are we talkin fizzy drinks? None of my 3 are allowed it. They were not given it as small toddlers and in fact the oldest (9) has recently tried some and thought it was awful. Stick to your guns

I get everyone telling me im mean etc for not giving Bethanie chocolate and fruit juice loads. I don't see the problem, I never had fizzy drinks or chocolate a lot at all growing up, it's not harmed me..

Bethanie has water or a tiny bit of fruit juice watered down loads, so it's more like water with a hint of flavour. They can't miss what they don't know and it's going to be doing them much better. Coca Cola (which I love) is terrible for your teeth and for your insides, chefs use it to clean burnt pans.. worrying really lol when you think what it must be doing to your body.

Keep giving your little one the healthy stuff, they'll thank you for it.

My Caitlin will have juice - watered down & fruit drinks/smoothies as well as water! Fizzy stuff will be a no no!

As for sweet things well I'm not going to stop her having treats if I'm honest its about different tatses in my opinion. One thing I've yet to look into if there is some healthier options on treats and it won't be by loads or daily but she will have.

Ok reread my post
My Caitlin will have juice
I meant will have as in will have when shes at that stage :blush:

We dont give Chris's daughter fizzy drinks either and she is coming up three. If she has juice its watered down loads. Unfortunately when we try and give her water she wont drink it as her mother always gives her juice. If we are out and about and she's drank all the juice in her cup we buy the robinsons water fruit shoot things which she will drink as there is stil a slight flavour to them

I also agree, stick to your guns.

x

Oh yeah, you are a horrible mother for not filling your toddler with sugar, chemicals and crap. I don't think many people actually think about what is actually in a soda. I don't drink them much because it is not good for my body. Why would I give it to my child? :dohh:

word of warning try and stay on water as long as you can, i did with Em and she is still pretty good with drinking water or very watered down squash

However i made the mistake of giving Jack a drink of Ems juice a few months agao and it has really made a rod for my own back
he has some proper tantrums when he is given water now :roll:
and it makes my life hell at time but i have to stick to it and now only give him juice when he is eating ( as adviced by dentist if any juice is to be given)

I on the over hand am a swine for drinking coke!!, not exactly leading by example but i tend to drink it mailny at night

Whats so wrong with a lil bit of juice in with lots of water? There must be better options for child to have this option?

If they are hankering for juice then provide pure 100% fruit juice half diluted with water. It is much better for them than the cordials such as Ribena or Robinsons. And No Added Sugar doesn't make much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->