Tommee Tippee perfect prep

wildflower79

Reaction score
Is anyone else using one of these machines? We've been using one for dd for the last few days, but today had a midwife visit and when she saw me using it she said they don't recommend people use them because they can make babies poorly :( I'm a bit confused as to how they can sell them if they're not safe and am now also worried incase I've made dd ill.

She said the issue came from the cold water shot not being boiled and although it goes through the filter, apparently the filter doesn't remove all bacteria.

I have a Formula pro, kind of the same thing. We boil the water before cooling it and putting it in the water tank. We also clean the funnel and the part where the powder falls everyday and will do a full clean every month, as per instructed. And we clean and sanitize her bottles, and wash our hands before handling the machine or her bottles.

I think it's all a question of proper care and cleaning habit, same with making a bottle by hand really...if you use tap water and don't wash everything correctly, then it could make baby poorly.

A friend of mine had one and thought it was the best thing she ever bought. I think it sterilises the water itself so should be safe for your lo. If your worried though just swap to making formula with boiled water.

I have one and think it's amazing! From the research online I have done, it seems to just filter and sterilise the cold water!
My midwife said they are fine to use! Also I can't imagine they would be unsafe..a huge brand like tommee tippee and surely anything like this on the market for newborns would have to be thoroughly tested before being approved

Ive got one stashed away for when baby arrives

I always thought the issue with bacteria was with the milk powder, rather than the water? The machine does the hot shot of water which should kill any bacteria in the milk?

It's all so confusing. but I will put my trust in the machine!

We used one and the only time my son has been sick is once we'd stopped using it and just using the kettle once he'd dropped to 1 bottle per day. Thousands of people use them, if they were bad we'd have heard about it by now. If it gives you peace of mind how about boiling the water before you fill it?

What a load of crap. I used this from when my son was 3 months old until he stopped using formula at about 17 months.

I'm using it too and have a hundred positive things to say about it. Like others said - as long as you are cleaning everything and maintaining the machine correctly, I think you'll be OK. One midwife might say that but another will disagree. Maybe it was just her personal opinion that she didn't rate the machine!

We are using one for our preemie twins and couldn't love it more. There will always be controversy about this machine, but if it was risky it would have been pulled off the shelves long ago.

I have one and love it so much my health visitor said that they are fine to use intact she highly recommends them, I think some midwives can be very old school x

We also have one absolute dream!.

My midwife didn't say anything about us using one but my sister in laws did. Agree with pp. Some are just old school. Do whatever feels best x

I have one and love it so much my health visitor said that they are fine to use intact she highly recommends them, I think some midwives can be very old school x

I agree! Love mine too. I think unless you know they work then to the old school Mw think it's just a scary thing. Go on tommee fb. Never heard anything about it being dangerous. As long as you clean & keep it maintained its faultless 😝

Thanks ladies. The midwife did seem a bit old school, but not sure whether it was her personal opinion or what they'd been told to advise.

I asked the health visitor about it when she came and she said she knew lots of people that used them and had never come across any problems with them.

It's just confusing when you're getting conflicting information! We'll probably go back to using it at some point, especially when lo starts to take more milk and it takes soo long to cool down!

I love mine, and honestly the infant feeding / formula industry is so heavily regulated that if there was even a sniff of this machine being unsafe it would be off the shelves! I really wouldn't worry at all, a huge corporation like tommee tippee is not going to take any chances with a baby's health. For a purely cynical point of view, it would cost them millions if that were true!

My midwife and health visitor said it was great and they wished it had been around when they had their babies! It was the best thing we bought xx

I don't have the machine so can't comment personally but I have seen this posted on Facebook a lot over the last few days x

Attachments

• perfect prep.jpg
    perfect prep.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 28
I don't have the machine so can't comment personally but I have seen this posted on Facebook a lot over the last few days x

Sorry I cant see the writing its too small, whats the summary

is this one any better? I've tried zooming in.

Basically it's an official statement that says "please ensure you make parents aware that there's no evidence that these machines are safe and that it's now the way the Department of Health (DoH) recommend making bottles" or words to that effect x

Attachments

• perfect prep 2.jpg
    perfect prep 2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 11
I think it comes down to the fact that the machine doesn't make bottles the way the formula manufacturers advise making them. Basically, formula manufacturers can't guarantee powdered formula is safe unless it's sterilised in nearly boiling water. These machines shoot in a hot shot of water, but then immediately top up with cold water in order to bring the overall temperature to a safe drinking temp. Is this how lots of people make formula by hand anyway? Yes. Is it how it's supposed to be made? No. There just is no guarantee that a shot of hot water for a few seconds is enough to kill the bacteria in the formula. From a food hygiene standpoint, it very likely needs more time than that (but there's no evidence anyone has actually studied that, maybe the formula companies have? but they don't claim to). When you make formula with nearly boiling water, and then take several minutes to cool it, it's probably enough time to sterilise it. When it gets cooled immediately with cold (even if boiled) water, it probably doesn't. I think that is the concern. Now does it matter? Maybe not. Many people do make bottles by adding hot water and then topping up with cold. If you're going to do that anyway, you might has well have a machine to make life easier, right? But at the same time, I think they want people to understand that it could be a risk. If you did happened to get a contaminated batch of formula, this might not do enough to sterilise it and there is still a risk baby could get sick. But I think most people who use the topping up with cold water method understand this already (or at least they should), so if it's what you're comfortable with, then it's a great way to make things easier. I didn't use one of these with my first as they didn't exist back then, but if I formula fed the next time around, I probably would, assuming I had a healthy baby.

is this one any better? I've tried zooming in.

Basically it's an official statement that says "please ensure you make parents aware that there's no evidence that these machines are safe and that it's now the way the Department of Health (DoH) recommend making bottles" or words to that effect x

I doubt TT would run the risk of making all these babies unwell. Could be the end of their business! Who wants a massive lawsuit on their hands??
I also don't believe all I see online especially fb. They do it with everything! I spoke to my hv she loved the machine.
And as along as you keep it clean and change the water often, filter. All is fine. Also babies are allowed to drink water straight from the tap from 6 months so I think the risk is small. I used the machine for dd3 & now ds1 no problems here. Also people need to be careful bad mouthing a huge company like TT something like that could ruin their reputation. So I don't think they would want to be sued by TT for this.. Internet is just full of loads of scare mongering. Not like our jobs are hard enough than some idiot with to much time on their hands to make a post like that. Computer software now days you can do anything. Hence why some girls look great til you meet them 😂😂😉lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->