Tongue tie revision

Smanderson

Reaction score
Ds2 has anterior tongue tie and after weeks of procrastination he is having it revised next week. DS1 had his revised but was posterior and his reflux got really bad after the revision. Can anyone tell me what the effects of revision were? Was bf easier? Did they spit up more? We're they more or less windy? I'm so nervous it will make ds2 have reflux even though I know it's unlikely. It was just so hard last time I can't help worrying.

Just to say bf has been hard but not painful he slips off and wants to constantly feed we have had to top up with expressed milk as I can't keep up with a 3 yr old and constantly feeding. He is very settled apart from being very hungry. I hope we are doing the right thing :wacko:

You are definitely doing the right thing! Tongue ties are so under-diagnosed and cause so many problems that go far beyond feeding.
I had my son's tongue tie revised when he was three months old and his latch improved a lot. Breastfeeding wasn't painful but he had such a weak shallow latch and would fall off the boob a lot. He took a lot of air in and struggled with gas and reflux. It did take a while for the gas and reflux issues to disappear unfortunately but he is much better with that now. I noticed his latch improved almost immediately as he could lift his tongue higher and get a proper latch :)

You are definitely doing the right thing! Tongue ties are so under-diagnosed and cause so many problems that go far beyond feeding.
I had my son's tongue tie revised when he was three months old and his latch improved a lot. Breastfeeding wasn't painful but he had such a weak shallow latch and would fall off the boob a lot. He took a lot of air in and struggled with gas and reflux. It did take a while for the gas and reflux issues to disappear unfortunately but he is much better with that now. I noticed his latch improved almost immediately as he could lift his tongue higher and get a proper latch :)

Bevzibubble thanks so much for your advice I feel better knowing it's helped your lo with their latch and their reflux and wind got better. Where was his tt? Sounds exactly like my boy falling off all the time with shallow latch.

He had an anterior tongue tie that they said was 70% tongue tied. They never checked for an anterior tongue tie but thankfully the issues seem to have been resolved by just having the frenulum under his tongue cut.

Ohh that's interesting they have tt in the same place and similar issue with latch. Fingers crossed this means all will improve after the snip! Thanks again really feel more confident about it now xx

Same with Bev, the BF was not painful but his TT prevented him from effectively transferring milk into his mouth. It was posterior and not very bad at all. Would esp recommend an anterior TT be revised.

We got it revised at 2 weeks after .5 oz weight gain in just a week. He is still a dinky baby but I could tell right away his latch was deeper. Still get lipstick nipple when he comfort nurses and considering bringing it up with his GP:shock::nope:

You are definitely doing the right thing, it will make BF way easier for you and your baby.

Thanks Daisy, is anterior worse for them then? I'm glad to hear it will improve bf I really want to keep going especially as he seems to get comfort from nursing when he's a bit unsettled. Do you think your lo goes back to old habits when they are tired and comfort nursing?

Thanks Daisy, is anterior worse for them then? I'm glad to hear it will improve bf I really want to keep going especially as he seems to get comfort from nursing when he's a bit unsettled. Do you think your lo goes back to old habits when they are tired and comfort nursing?

An anterior tie means that the frenulum of the tongue is closer to the tip. So I would imagine it'd be more difficult than a tie towards the back there.

I am not sure if he is going back to old habits or just being lazy :haha: He came out a lazy eater that's for sure. Ever since he has gotten head control his latch has been sh*t, he jerks back and wants to look at everything :shock:

The type of tie doesn't always indicate how much of an effect it will have on breastfeeding. It's what kind of up and down movement they are capable of with the back of their tongue that usually affects weight gain etc.

Thanks Daisy Haha he sounds like a cheeky bubba :haha: James loves looking around too but nothing stops him eating lol he's pretty greedy :haha:

Noon child thanks that makes sense DS1 had posterior not sure how severe the attachment was but he couldn't bf at all and took 1.5 hours to bottle feed but ds2 has anterior and can bf but slips and doesn't manage to get past the initial let down (that's my suspicion) he's topped up with expressed milk and bottle feeds fine but makes a kissing sound. He is gaining really well though x

My son had an anterior tie and he had more physical problem such as clicking during feeds, wind, shallow latch, occasional pain and generally unsettled.
My daughter's tie was a grade 4 posterior (sub mucosal) tie and there was barely anything to see until somebody trained pushed the floor of her mouth down. She had slow weight gain, wind and reflux as a result.
Both had the tell tale forked appearance to their tongue.

My son had an anterior tie and he had more physical problem such as clicking during feeds, wind, shallow latch, occasional pain and generally unsettled.
My daughter's tie was a grade 4 posterior (sub mucosal) tie and there was barely anything to see until somebody trained pushed the floor of her mouth down. She had slow weight gain, wind and reflux as a result.
Both had the tell tale forked appearance to their tongue.

How were they after the revision? Did they respond differently?

Both had a couple of days of being unsettled because they weren't used to so much milk. Nappy output increased greatly too (though my daughter had hers snipped on Wednesday and is still yet to do a poo). My son jumped two centiles after his.

Posset amount has also increased massively with my daughter but she also suffers from reflux. I'm hopeful that she will settle over the next week!

Hi all,

Mini update from us. We had the revision on Thursday last week and it turned out he had a double tongue tie so anterior and posterior they classed it as severe.

He has been refusing bf so we have tried and failed to bf most feeds and bottle fed which has caused big vomits. I've been told it's because he's feeding fast and big volumes.

so I went to a bf group today and they said he's refusing to be because it's so painful for him as he had a large wound. They showed me a new position and latched him while he was sleepy and he fed! I have tried it again a couple of time at home and he fed both times but this evening seemed still hungry so I've topped up. I'm hoping to eventually drop top ups.

Glad you've managed to find something that works! What is the position?

That's great! I'm glad you have managed to find a feeding position that works and hopefully things are improved soon :)

Smanderson I'm so glad you were able to find a solution! Hopefully soon you will be done with the top ups

Thanks ladies, noon child they told me to recline a bit in the chair with my feet on a stool so my knees were raised for him to rest his bum on and to hold my breast like a sandwich so it was easier to latch and then let him lie down my tummy for him to shuffle up and self latch. She said it's a technique used for newborns and as he was sleepy his instincts would kick in...and they did. Phew! :)

Thanks ladies, noon child they told me to recline a bit in the chair with my feet on a stool so my knees were raised for him to rest his bum on and to hold my breast like a sandwich so it was easier to latch and then let him lie down my tummy for him to shuffle up and self latch. She said it's a technique used for newborns and as he was sleepy his instincts would kick in...and they did. Phew! :)

Ah yes, laid back feeding or biological nursing! It rules :happydance:

Ah yes, laid back feeding or biological nursing! It rules :happydance:

It really has been so good for us, tonight we relaxed on the sofa and he fed so well we didn't need a top up :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->