Too much too soon?

Bluetomato

Mummy :-)
Reaction score
Dom will be 6 months old on Tuesday (or 26 weeks on Wendesday), and ive started weaning him. It seems to be going really well so far, he will eat lots of different fruits and vegetables, hes had chicken a couple of times and ive started him with lentils and pasta as from today.
The thing is, im wondering if hes having too much food, as hes not having much milk (or so it seems to me anyway). Normally his routine is:

1.30am - 6oz milk
7am - 6oz milk
8.30am - breakfast
12.30pm - lunch and pudding
3pm - 6oz milk
5pm - tea and pudding
7pm - 6oz milk

However, today he didn't have his afternoon milk as he must have been full from lunch - so in 24 hours hes having 18oz milk. Is that enough?
Im a bit stressed about the whole weaning thing, as when Dom turned 24 weeks my hv made me feel like there was this huge rush to get him weaned straight away, and he should be on 3 meals a day by the time he was 25 weeks. She said by 7 months he should only be on 2 bottles a day? Im lucky that hes taken to it well - I make all my own food for him and hes a hungry little piggy!
Do you think hes having too much food and not enough milk? You would think I would remember this from having Harrison but I seem to have forgotten everything! x

offer a drink inbetween, if hes full then he wont want the milk as thats a feed, try water or baby juice x

The guideline amount of formula per day for a 6-12 month old is 18-21oz. So unless your baby will take 9oz in one sitting then you'll still have to give 3 bottles at 7 months!

And there really is no huge rush with solids, go at your baby's pace, not your HVs. :)

This is reallly reassuring. We started weaning Sam 2 weeks ago and (just as I suspected he would) he has dropped his milk intake from about 28-30ozs to about 20-22ozs and he used to have 6-7ozs in one go and will only now have about 4-5ozs at the most!!

I knew it would happen which is why i completely ignored his consultant's advice to wean at 4 months (based on nothing but the fact that he thought Sam looked ready!?!?)

I can stop panicking now... lol... weaning is soooo stressful! I wish we could feed them milk forever!! hahahaahaaha

Thanks for your replies everyone - it would seem that Dom has definatly dropped that afternoon bottle now as he hasn't had one in the last 3 days. Hes still having 3 6oz bottles a day plus about 3oz of milk with breastfast so hes having enough. Hes eating well, and enjoying his food! Going to try liver tomorrow.....

Well I've been taking BLW quite slowly. We started at 6 months doing just evening meal, then the next week did evening and breakfast, this week we've started breakfast lunch and evening! He's still having 5 bottles a day though! so approx 35 oz! I think its because he only eats small amounts, but I see it as just practise at the moment as he learns to chew and get used to all the different foods. I'll just drop off bottles as he sees fit (today we'll only have had 4 as he missed his afternoon one) as I suppose he knows better than me what he wants!

Thanks for your replies everyone - it would seem that Dom has definatly dropped that afternoon bottle now as he hasn't had one in the last 3 days. Hes still having 3 6oz bottles a day plus about 3oz of milk with breastfast so hes having enough. Hes eating well, and enjoying his food! Going to try liver tomorrow.....

liver...now thats just cruel!!! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->