Totally clueless

Char&Bump-x

Me and her
Reaction score
I'm interested in starting to use cloth nappies, BUT (and its a big but) i have absolutley no idea whatsoever.

Somebody please help me!

1. Can you get nappies that last from now til she is potty trained? (She is two months now, and i hope to have her trained by two)

2. What do i need to buy? (I know you're all addicted :p but i just want the basics for now)

3. What are the different types? And what are the pro's and con's of each type?

4. How do you wash them, and how often?

5. Anything else that i need to know but havent asked about?

I know i'm asking a lot but i really want to start using them, and i really want to buy some of PrincessEllie's :lol:

x

Haha, I think you just said exactly what I wanted to say but you actually make sense! Going to follow this thread I think xxx

aww shucks lol

1. Can you get nappies that last from now til she is potty trained? (She is two months now, and i hope to have her trained by two)

yes, usually called birth to potty or one size :D

2. What do i need to buy? (I know you're all addicted but i just want the basics for now)

few nappies, few wraps unless you get pul nappies, few liners unless you get fleece nappies, something with a lid to hold your dirty nappies, thats all you NEED i think

you can get pocket, fitted, all in one, 2parters, theres more but i cant think lol

best thing about pocket nappies is they dry in a flash, i have no dryer so i really needed something that dried in half an hour on the radiator, or on the line, and these do! also you can make them as absorbant as you want byt adding extra inserts, the only other type i use so far is 2parters, i dont really like them tbh and cant think of any pros :blush: we use them if weve run out of pockets...

washer, but i used to wash them by hand, literally up till 2 days ago i had all my nappies in the bath being washed by hand, it wasnt as hard as it sounds but still much easier with a washer lol, i do a wash every couple of days

hmm i dont think so :lol:

x

2. What do i need to buy?

few nappies, few wraps unless you get pul nappies, few liners unless you get fleece nappies, something with a lid to hold your dirty nappies, thats all you NEED i think

pul means what :lol: told you i was clueless :p

3. What are the different types? And what are the pro's and con's of each type? pocket, fitted, all in one, 2parters

So how do pocket nappies work? Is the pocket the actual nappy or the bit that goes over it?

Do you sell all the bits i'd need ellie? Or just the wraps?

x

Going to pick my niece up from swimming so will do a reply for you on my return :D

2. What do i need to buy?

pul means what :lol: told you i was clueless :p

3. What are the different types? And what are the pro's and con's of each type? pocket, fitted, all in one, 2parters

So how do pocket nappies work? Is the pocket the actual nappy or the bit that goes over it?

Do you sell all the bits i'd need ellie? Or just the wraps?

x

pul is the waterproof part, tbh if you buy a nappy and a wrap off me, i use fleece for the outer which is pretty good at not leaking anyway, especially if you use a wrap over the top but some people like to have the pul on just to be sure its not going to leak

pockets are basically two pieces of material, usually fleece and pul but mine have another layer of fleece over the back so its a nicer design, these two pieces of material sewed together with a hole at the top make a 'pocket' for you to put inserts into, if you search pocket nappy on the internet it will do a better job of explaining lol

yeh i sell everything you'd need, just make sure you select everything from the drop down menus, the pul, wraps, liners, boosters and wipes are all on drop down so if you dont select them i wont know to put them in and u might not get everything you wanted

you can buy liners, wipes, boosters and wraps seperately but they are cheaper if you buy them as a set with a nappy :D

x

You're an angel. I think i get it now lol. As soon as i get some pennies i shall be coming straight to you!

Edit: one more question, how many do i need?

x

I would say more like 8-10 including night time ones if you would be washing every day.

I have 11 day time nappies and 4 night time ones. I wash roughly every other day.

:)

eeh really, we have never used more than like 6 in a day, including night lmao

maybe i need to change her more :blush:

:rofl:

x

Easy Peasy Nappies Bumble 15 Pack. Size Birth to Potty

Does this include everything you need? Then i could just buy more wraps etc when i wanted them?

Annnnd https:www.mammymade.co.uk is that a full set too, as in i just put that on and off we go? Or would i need to buy anything else?

Im sorry for being a pain in the ass lol x

yeh that looks good although you will deffo need more wraps, probably more nippas and some fleece liners

if you buy one of my nappies with a booster and a wrap you are pretty much set, as i said you can get them with pul aswell but that is optional

x

Is the booster extra padding? Or is it the actual padding of the nappy?
Would it be alright for overnight?

And you need liners aswel?

So, one whole nappy (the one on the link), with everything included except the wipe would be £9.65 yea? And i wouldnt need to buy anything else

x

no the booster is an extra bit of absorbancy, i send a small insert in every pocket nappy i make, and the booster just makes it more absorbant, they are fleece topped so no you wont need a liner, i add those on because some people like to use them, for example if you use nappy cream, it can block up the fleece and its much better to wreck a nappy liner with the nappy cream than the entire nappy iykwim

i do use my nappies overnight, with an insert, with a booster and with a wrap over the top, we're usually fine overnight but i think it depends on how heavy of a wetter your lo is, the pocket nappies can always be stuffed with an extra handtowel or a flannel or something if you are finding they are not absorbant enough and the pul, like i said before, is the waterproof bit so youve got that bit of extra protection there :winkwink:

so yes, that would be £9.65, if you included the liner, and that would be all you needed

x

Ideal. Thanks so much for helping me. Get paid on thursday so will buy one to try and come back for more if we get on well! x

You can, they are called BTP (Birth to Potty) or one size :)

2. What do i need to buy? (I know you're all addicted but i just want the basics for now)
You will hear lots of different ideas on what you need to buy aswell as how many nappies you require :) I would say for def a lidded bucket, some lavendar or tea tree oil, a wet bag for when you're out and about as well as a changing bag to accomodate nappies (they take up more room than sposies) and then your nappies :)

Fitted/shaped nappy - this is the baisc modern cloth nappy, it looks like a disposable in shape, can be made from a variety of materials such as terry cotton, hemp or bamboo. They are closed using either poppers, aplix/velcro (or other hook and loop fastner), or with a snappi nappi/nappi nippa the new alternative to a nappy pin. This type of nappy will have numerous layers of cloth,usually with an intergrated booster sewn in. It may be lined with fleece or suedecloth to keep baby's bottom dry, if not you can add a liner. Drying times vary depending on the material the nappy is made from.

Pocket nappy - these nappies have the same shape as a fitted/shaped nappy but at the back there is an opening 'pocket' between the inner and outer of the nappy for you to add your own inserts as required. They generally have fleece or suedecloth on the inside and the out side can be PUL/fleece/combo (in which case a seperate wrap is not required), or any other type of cloth (in which case you will need a seperate wrap). This is a very quick drying system as all the components are seperated to dry.

AIO (All in One) - this is a nappy that again is shaped similarly to a disposable and has the absorbant part of the nappy covered by a waterproof layer all sewn together so all you need to do is put the nappy on as it is. They are fastened by poppers or aplix. As they are all one part this is the slowest drying option.

Terry Square - this is the traditional type of nappy, just a simple square that you fold into shape before putting on your baby· They now come in a variety of sizes, materials and even colours. This is a very quick drying nappy as it is only one layer.

Prefolds - these nappies are rectangular in shape and have extra layers sewn into the centre third of the nappy. They can be folded in different ways and are also great to stuff pocket napppies with. Prefolds are available in various different materials. They dry quickly as they are flat.

Muslins - these are a thin cotton square that many people use on newborns. They are not massively absorbant but fine when you are changing all the time. Can be folded in the same ways as terry squares. Muslins are useful for a million different things once they are no longer used as nappys, mopping up baby goop as the prime example! They dry incredably quickly.

Wraps (pilchers) - this is what you put over your cloth nappy to protect your baby's clothes from getting wet. They can be made from PUL, fleece or wool. Traditionally they were made from plastic, these are not really recommended as they don't breath so are not nice for your baby to wear.Wraps are fastened with hook and loop or poppers or they can be pull on pants. Wool wraps are usually pull up.

Insert - these are what you put in a pocket nappy, its the absorbant bit! Can be made from terry, hemp or bamboo, can be used as a booster.

Booster - this is to add absorbancy to a nappy if you have a heavy wetter or overnight. They are rectangular or hourglass shaped.

This depends purely on how many you have :) As your little one is still young you will prob have more changes than some of these ladies and I know I go thru about 5 nappies during the day (at least) and then 1 or 2 at night. So if you had 10-12 day nappies and a few nights you'd need to wash every night to make sure that they were then ready for 1 day later. When washing, you just need to transport from your nappy pail into your washer, add a tablespoon of non bio washing powder (no softner as this decreases absorbancy) altho you can also use Bold 2in1 as this has a clay based softner and wash at the recommended temp (most of my washes are 40degrees but I occasionally do 1 at 60degrees). I then carry out at least 1 extra rinse to ensure all soap has gone :)

I would stay away from any expensive "starter packs" as these tie you into one kind of nappy. It really is worth buying different sorts preloved to find out what you like!! It really does depend on your LO and their shape :) You also do not need a wrap for every fitted nappy you have as these don't need washing all the time - a quick wipe on the inside and a few mins to dry and they're ready to go again!! I would also advise to stay clear of fleece wraps for a while. They are great on older babies but tend to wick with younger LOs as they are laying in one place for longer periods of time :) I also think I saw someone say you could do with 6 nappies - personally there is no way on this earth I could have 6 nappies!! I'd be washing twice a day at least to ensure the washed ones were then dry in time!

I also think I saw someone say you could do with 6 nappies - personally there is no way on this earth I could have 6 nappies!! I'd be washing twice a day at least to ensure the washed ones were then dry in time![/COLOR]

its not that difficult so long as u have dryer / radiator, as i said i only use pockets so they are pretty much dry as soon as they come out of the washer :)

x

Yeah, I mean I think we do actually use about 6 nappies in a day, so if you wash them and then dry overnight or whatever it's fine. I am so disorganised though, I wash at different times every day and sometimes forget, so she is nappyless for a couple of hours etc etc I need more than that! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->