Travel Systems

mommy2be412

Reaction score
For those in the US (I think the UK uses something called a Pram) I want to get a safe, good travel system. (A travel system has the infant carrier which doubles as a car seat and a stroller all in one.)

When I go to the store I see very good standalone car seats that even fit newborns but the travel systems car seats don't seem to be made as well, especially for side impact it is just a hard surface with a waterproof cover over it. So my initial thought was, just get a quality standalone car seat and a separate stroller but then I think of how much hassle that would be transferring baby from car seat to infant carrier each time you get out of the car. What does everyone think, are you getting a travel system and are there any good, safe ones out there that have more padding in the carrier/car seat? If not, what is your plan for car seat/carrier/stroller?

Thanks for a first time mom-to-be. :flower:

I've always used Graco travel systems that come with the stroller, the car seat base, and the carseat/carrier. We have had two different travel systems from Graco so far and I loved both. They were both pretty minimal padding inside but never really seemed to be an issue for us. Switching the baby out would definitely be a hassle (especially if baby is asleep). Which ones have you looked at so far? I think most infant carseats do double as carriers since they have the bottom base which always stays in the car then you just pop up the handle and take it out...

I wanted to get mine from Target so I did online research looking at the best reviews and comments. We went with a Graco as well and I wanted something gender neutral. The one we got is also on display in the store so I was able to see if up close and check it out. We got the coordinating pack-n-play as well. Weight is a big factor that you'll want to look into. You don't want to have to lug around a really heavy stroller all the time. Ours is great b/c you pull a strap on the seat and it folds up instantly so you can do it with one hand. https://www.target.com/p/graco-fast...stem-monroe/-/A-14243407#prodSlot=medium_1_18

I have looked at so many travel systems I can't even count. I know it doubles as a car seat/carrier but my issue is the padding in the carrier/car seat is so minimal. Some say side impact tested, I don't know how they test it because all it is is hard plastic with a cover over it but the standalone car seats I see actually have padding.

Another thing is when I go to look at them in the store, many times they will be stuck up on the shelf with one of those bands and you can't actually see it up close or test it out.

Babies R Us lets you take everything down and try it out. I spent 3 hours there testing all the different things I had put on my wish list. I also tried to go to Target and found that all the strollers and cars seats were strapped to the shelves and it was very frustrating. My 3 close friends have had 5 kids in the last 2 years and they all swear by Graco and Britax travel systems. The Britax, from what I have seen have one of the highest safety ratings, but is slightly heavier than the Graco. I have both thanks to hand me downs from them.

Good luck!!!

I totally understand what you are saying!!!

I got the Graco Travel system - The Quattro one. I got it on a clearance sale - love it to pieces!

For when my baby gets too big for the infant car seat I got a car seat off of ebay.
I was very picky about this seat. It is a little more expensive but I got it because the structure is made out of steel versus plastic (as many are). It has one of the highest ratings in the world for child seat.
Here is a link to the one I got.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Diono-Radia...lding-Child-Safety-Car-Seat-NEW-/350737857007

Here are the specs on the seat
https://ca.diono.com/car-seats/radian-gtx

Happy Shopping!

I have both.
I have Eddie Bauer Pilot Travel System got it on sale for %40 off. The reason I picked this one was its very light, I can pick the stroller up with one hand and the carseat was reasonable light, nice padding in both too
and a Evenflo Symphony DLX All-in-One Car Seat - Porter
https://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-15305058dt.jpghttps://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m84/zack_the_dog/734349_10151320395832739_379190500_n_zpsa4eb8513.jpg
This carseat is amazing, very comfortable my nephew use it once and told his mom he wanted that carseat cause it was like a couch. :haha: It installs in less than a minute :thumbup: no need to unattached the seat to adjust the straps either.:happydance:

I have the Chicco set from babies r us, I love that the material is so easily cleaned. It is a bit heavier than some but I don't usually carry it more than to and from the car. I baby wear if we will be somewhere a long time, or just put the system in the cart. I had the same set for my last baby and loved it.

I am not a fan of big bulky travel systems. You can get a good quality infant seat, and a simple snap frame to turn it I to a quick stroller, then later spend the money on a nicer stroller. The 'snap and go' works with most graco carseats and is light and easy to use. I've used mine through two kids, then got a nice lightweight stroller for later- not one of the monstrosities that comes with travel systems.

I agree with CatherineK. I got a nice standalone infant seat (Chicco Keyfit30) and a light Snap&Go frame. Most of my friends who got the full travel systems ended up hating them because the strollers were so bulky and heavy.

By the time DD outgrew her infant car seat, she was mostly able to sit in shopping carts or a lightweight/inexpensive umbrella stroller that stays in the car trunk full time. I did splurge on a BOB jogging stroller which I still use for jogging, walks, and outdoor festivals when I need a big stroller for walking around all day.

I liked that the Snap&Go gave me a basic stroller (with the carseat) that I could use until I figured out what my stroller needs/style would be as DD grew. I honestly can't imagine that I'd have used a travel system much as a stroller. My jogger is indispensible, and the umbrella stroller is so small and easy to use that I don't mind hauling it around in the car all the time. At 18 months, DD pretty much walks everywhere in the mall or goes in the shopping cart at stores that have them. I'm going to buy a dualie BOB jogger very soon, but that will be my only tandem stroller. Reusing the Chicco and S&G for this baby arriving soon.

Chicco liteway plus is what I've ordered great car seat look it up on YouTube

But most infant car seats that are in travel systems do not seem that safe as its hard plastic with a cover unlike many of the standalone car seats I've seen. Am I just being too picky? I know they all have to pass safety standards but I feel like those are just the bare minimum.

Why don't you get the car seat you want? My chicco keyfit 30 can be used with my city mini. Many strollers will work with different car seats.

Get the carseat you want...then a separate snap frame or stroller that will
Work with it, if you want one. No reason to get a travel 'system'.

My husband and I really liked this travel system, it was very light and we had fun wheeling it around the store :)

https://www.buybuybaby.com/regProduct.asp?WRN=-750618978&sku=40991115&

We had a couple nice brand new travel systems for our boys(Graco and Chicco) and loved the car seats, but hated the bulkiness of the strollers they came with. The strollers were nice and help up well, but once you have more than 1 kid they seem HUGE. We ended up getting a nice new Chicco Liteway Plus stroller in Green and the matching infant car seat that goes with it and snaps in. I went to Buy Buy Baby and was able to try out the stroller with my 3 and 4yr olds and it was honestly the best of all of them and I even tried the ones that were $1,000+. Nice and compact, but comfy for my kiddos and easy and small with the car seat snapped in. We loved the Chicco infant seats with our boys, so knew we wanted that. I LOVE certain shades of green and hate all the pink and purple that girls tend to get stuck with. I attached picks of the set we got, although you do have to buy them separately, and what it looks like with the car seat snapped in. The green looks much cuter in person too, although they have different colors of course.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 10.37.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 10.37.02 PM.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 10.37.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 10.37.14 PM.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, it's pricey and may be more than you're interested in, but the Graco click connect fast action fold travel system jogger I got is Awesome! The carseat looks so comfy for baby and is side impact tested. It's big and bulky, but that just means tough for me. :) just a thought.

I'm a FTM, but I decided to get the car seat and stroller that we wanted, even though its not a travel system per say. I wanted a safe car seat that would grow with baby, so I chose a maxi-cosi convertable. Then for stroller we opted for a bugaboo since it has a bassinet option for infants and converts to a seat. This works best for us because we'll be living in a big city and using the pieces separately, plus I want to baby wear as much as possible :) gl deciding on the best option for you, I know it's not easy, but buy buy baby really helped us make our decision by testing everything out ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->