Trouble in paradise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Loraloo said you and this child are family now wether you like it or not. I'm not saying don't get a break if you need it but leaving every time she is there is not a solution. You have said you have both your son and his daughter every other weekend, if you're worried for your son why not change so it's alternate weekends for a little while.
I also don't believe children bite and kick for no reason, they do it because they're scared or frustrated. Maybe try some proper bonding activities. Go out to the park or some activity you'll all enjoy for a few hours then you go to your mum's for a rest. You can't expect things to change if you aren't willing to make an effort and if you're not then you shouldn't be with your partner, nobody should ever be made to feel they have to choose between their partner and their child.

I am kind of with Ashlee23 on that one. On one side, I do feel sorry for you for the problem you have with her but 18 months is young and as the adult you have to make the efforts again and again again. You should try to see her as your own child but saying you can't stand her sounds like you have given up on her. Hope it gets better but you ll have to put more patience, love and effort if you want that relationship to work.

Hi hun, by the sounds of it this little girl has seperation anxiety. If she only sees dad and you on weekends in this little girls head her mom has left her with strangers who she doesn't know or has no real bond with,YET! (not like she has with her mom). the only way through it is more time with her and a lot of persiverance, i know this for a fact,ive been there with my son. But different a situation. It is hard work, the constant screaming will rattle your brain! But it will pass xx

How did you get it to change iv tried cuddles, leaving her to play, talking playing etc if she just stopped screaming just for a few minutes I could cope but it's constant and I have a lot of guilt that she isn't happy so thought removing myself from the situation would help?

Hi again, if it is seperation anxiety i wouldn't remove yourself from the situation because the little one will have bonded with dad and not you. So everytime you was there the screaming would start again. Is she more comfortable with dad than you? I found if you "push" yourself onto them(try to play,give cuddles) then they are worse.even more so when they hurt themselves! Could you not ask her mom to stay for a while when she drops her off? You would see instantly if it is anxiety as she would cling to her mom for dear life. With my son it took months. He had never met my parents/sisters he was 16 months old at the time. He screamed the second i walked in the door and continued till we left. This was 5 years ago now. My dad would get a pack of chocolate buttons for him and place them next to him.if my son wanted one he had to go by grandad to get 1 lol that there was the start. After a while the screaming stopped. Its no quick fix im afraid. Does she enjoy going out in pram? If so could you not go for a little walk with her it will also give you a little piece and quite time for yourself.
Xx

Hi, I haven't read all the comments fully but from what I have seen it sounds like the child has separation issues from the mummy. I know my son won't even let me leave the room without him and he's 20 months. I couldn't imagine what he would be like for a full day without me. He would be a screaming mess I think. Can you and your partner maybe try and spend some time with the tot in the familiar environment with the mother there (I understand this might be tough on you...I have a step daughter too) but just so the child becomes at ease with you. Without sounding like I'm being nasty (not my intentions) but could you be putting up a barrier and the tot feels like you don't really want them there? Could you try to treat the child like you would your own? The little child is just wanting acceptance, security and love. What if you spent the afternoon just taking the child for a walk to the park and try and build a relationship? Your children would follow your attitude towards the toddler. It can be tough and I remember thinking I could cope after being with my husband and dealing with his daughter and I spend years fighting it and resenting the situation until I had my children and I would hate to think if me and my husband split up that some other woman would be distant to my children. Talk to your partner, tell him your raw feelings and how to make things better for everyone involved, don't leave anyone out or their needs and work on a plan to how things will run. Eg trips out or your own me time to pamper yourself or a family games and craft day. I'm sure you are a lovely lady and I do understand that it's all change but you will enjoy it even more as a united family. Big hugs to you and I hope things work out for you. Message me anytime sweetie x

Hi, nobody is having a dig at you. I was one of the person who said they feel more sorry for that little girl then you. Don't get me wrong I feel for you that you have to deal with this situation but you are the adult and she is only a little child. And she is obviously in distressed and your post sounded quite angry with her and I think it's the wrong attitude. Maybe you are right about giving her more time with her dad but removing yourself from that relationship might not be a great idea. You don't want to give up on her. I wish I could give you some advice but to me it might be a combination of showing her some love while maybe giving her some space and patience patience patience. And remember children are very good 'feelings" other. I mean if she turns up at your house and feel like you dont want her here (despite being extra nice) she might pick on that. Maybe tell yourself how distressed she is and you might end up with more sympathy for her. I hope it gets better for you. Easier to say than to do but don't give up or run away from her.

Hey girl, I don’t have answers. But I can say that you are making a real effort to bond with the girl. It should be your partner’s job to help you to bond with his daughter and not just pass her to you and expect you to do the work.

I have 3 kids. My middle one has a more difficult personality. He cries more easily and is just more easily irritable. I know that it’s harder for someone else to bond with him (compared to my other 2 kids) and I DON’T expect them to. My friend’s husband who stayed with us and he commented a couple of times about how “needy” my kid is and other comments.

I KNOW he didn’t mean it badly. And I didn’t take his comments personally either. He doesn’t have a child AND it’s true!!! My child IS needy. I know that! Of course it didn’t feel good to hear someone say that, but did I get mad at him?? No! Irritated? Maybe.

But he had EVERY right to say what he thinks!!!! And even the mother bear in me has to be restrained at eating him up for being truthful.

And while I have to put up with my child’s not-so-ideal behaviour, I don’t EVER expect someone else to. Biting and hitting is a total NO-GO for me. The child should NEVER bite or hit. I have to say this is NOT your fault. There’s something wrong with a child that bites and hits. I would talk to her mom about this issue. And I would also ask if your partner allows you to discipline his child. Honestly, if I have NO right to discipline a child, that child is NOT my child. Then I’m just a babysitter and nothing else. If I’m expected to bond with the child and “treat her like my child”, then the discipline has to come with it and that includes discipline for biting and hitting. NO adult should ever have to take any biting and hitting from a child.

I do feel some of the comments here were pretty pointy and I would feel offended if I were you. You wanted to rant and I feel you should be allowed to rant without anybody’s judgement. It’s definitely NOT your fault that the child is behaving like that. You do sound like you’re trying your best to make the relationship work. BnB should be a positive environment where women support each other and not tear each other down.

I know as a mom, it’s hard to hear a “critique” of your child. But we live in a real world. I’d rather my children live in a real world where people are free to discipline my children and tell them their flaws than sugar-coat everything and they grow up thinking they are in the Center of the universe. Sorry. I’m Asian and the Asian upbringing is very practical and not at all, “she’s just a child, You are the adult, deal with it!!!”

I don’t want to get into a fight with anybody here. But I want to show my support for you and I believe you need to do what you need to do. Draw your boundaries. You shouldn’t be expected to be pregnant, take care of your own son whom you only get to see once in 2 weeks AND bond with a tough kid at the same time! There’s a time and season for everything. Right now, you have enough on your plate with the pregnancy. I’d say put yourself first, take care of yourself and baby and don’t spread yourself out too thin.

And have an honest talk with your partner about expectations. What does he expect of you? And maybe even draw boundaries .... for example, when his child is there, he has to be around her when you are around. Then he can witness her behaviour with you and be the familiar face for her. At this point, if I were you, I wouldn’t want to be alone with a child that hits and bites me. That behavioural problem has to shift first.

Honestly i feel sorry for the little girl i have two step sons and my partner has two step sons aka my first two mine are extremely hard work with oposit spectrem autistic and we both new we had two kids when we first met and he knew how damaged i was and he has never told me to remove my children cos he couldnt cope trust me they are hard work
By the sounds of it you have all the children for 3 out of 7 days so 4 days you have a rest day so i would try to suck it up just the days you have them all as it can be very damaging emotionaly
As for asking your partner to remove her its not called for thats like him saying for you to remove all your children for something stupid especially removing your son the days his daughters are over because he could be scared he will have a melt down and hurt one of them in some cases sepertation is really not the way and maybe bringing another baby into the mix isnt the best thing im not judging you as a parent as i have two very demanding children out off 5 and one on the way kids are like sponges and grows in a environment maybe to show the little girl that your safe to be around possible invite her mum round so she can ease her into the environment as when my sons where seeing there dad i would have to sit round his house until the kids where comfortable and we have my step sons mum round and on family occasions hopefully she grows out of it soon or you and your partner agrees what works for you as a family as a whole x

Cheerios thank u so much for that comment! I stayed off here because some of the comments have been un needed, I get shes just a child but I really have tried my best and we had a success on Thursday!! She didn't scream and I pointedly played with Isabella (my 2year old) with the blocks and she came Nd stacked some with us.. I even got a smile! My partner high five me after that and I thank the ladies with the positive comments for helping me through what has to be the worst ever feeling but I also told the health visitor iv had with all my kids and she said it's NORMAL for step parents to struggle with someone else's child and I did the right thing in reaching out for help...

And those that felt thed need to point out she's just a baby and made me feel like a monster I honestly hope one day you are put in that position because it really is the worst!

If I knew how to close the thread from my mobile I would iv got the results I need thank God and thank u all again x

Sorry you felt victimised I dont think that was anyone's intention. I'm glad that you managed to spend some quality time with the baby. I'm sure with perseverance your relationship with her will strengthen. I'll report the thread for you so you can have it closed.

Cheerios thank u so much for that comment! I stayed off here because some of the comments have been un needed, I get shes just a child but I really have tried my best and we had a success on Thursday!! She didn't scream and I pointedly played with Isabella (my 2year old) with the blocks and she came Nd stacked some with us.. I even got a smile! My partner high five me after that and I thank the ladies with the positive comments for helping me through what has to be the worst ever feeling but I also told the health visitor iv had with all my kids and she said it's NORMAL for step parents to struggle with someone else's child and I did the right thing in reaching out for help...

And those that felt thed need to point out she's just a baby and made me feel like a monster I honestly hope one day you are put in that position because it really is the worst!

If I knew how to close the thread from my mobile I would iv got the results I need thank God and thank u all again x

Brillant news delighted you had a nice day with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back