TTC 3 years just recieved unsolicited membership in Similac new mothers club?!

sarahad

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm extremely upset about a package I received in the mail this week. It's a box which read "Welcome to the Sisterhood of Motherhood" and contains Similac formula samples and other new baby stuff. Apparently, I also have a membership in their new mothers club. I have never signed up for this (as I have never been pregnant) and cannot think of any purchase or mailing list that would have triggered this "gift". This did, however, trigger a lot of pain for myself and my husband. It's a little embarrasing to admit, but I feel traumatized by this.

We have been trying to concieve our first child for 3 years with no success. It has been incredibly painful, especially since it seems that everyone we know has had at least one baby in this time. I am PAINFULLY aware that I am not a member of the "sisterhood of motherhood". I am now to the point where I can't stand to be around pregnant women or babies. I do not go to baby stores and I do not sign up for websites like this (until today). It's just too painful. My home is the only place where I feel a sense of control over being bombarded with "baby bumps" and new mommies, etc. I guess I'm not safe in my home anymore.

I'm outraged that I now have to opt out of thier new mothers club! Isn't this something that one should have to sign up for?! I have not called Similac to opt out yet, as I am pretty emotional right now. Oh--I forgot to mention that this gift arrived on the day that I started my period!! Oh, the irony! Another strange thing about it--it was addressed to my maiden name, which I changed at least 3 years ago. I'm going to do something about this. It's just wrong on so many levels--it's an invasion of privacy, it's insensitive, and I personally don't believe in using formula (unless absolutely needed, of course). I could go on and on.....

Has anyone else recieved one of these "gifts" that they did not sign up for? Do you have any idea how it happened? Will it continue to happen? I think I can make more of an impact if I know that this has happened to other women like myself, though I hope that it hasn't!

I'm sorry for the rant like nature of this post. It really pushed my buttons, especially the text on the package. Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your responses!

hello, welcome to BnB - I haven't received anything like you're describing but didnt want to read and run.

I'm sorry for the upset that it has caused you, it's not nice and like you say, brings a lot of understandable emotion with it.

I'm not too sure what i would do in your situation, but if it wasn't too upsetting, I would be writing an email/letter to explain the situation and the upset that it has caused. as far as I am aware, those types of sign ups are usually either by email, website or letter as they've gotten your details. Like you say though, it's in your maiden name and it seems a little random.

Hopefully, you'll find a lot of support on this website though. There are so many people on here and lots of people going through similar experiences, I find it rather comforting, especially as i dont speak to friends or family about ttc and the scientific things that go behind it. It's nice to be able to come on here and read (or post) feelings, advice and guidance.

I wish you lots of luck

Must be the week for it... I received 2 free cans of formula from gerber, and I don't recall ever signing up for anything......

Lucky I have a good friend who has a 6 month old, and she is supplementing with formula, so I gave it to her...

It was quite a shock to my dh when he opened the mail box though!

How gross of them. I have received stuff from Gerber a long time ago, but it was before we started ttc and I just passed it along. Now it would melt me into a puddle. We have been trying for a year and I so get it. I had to be talked out of a panic attack at a kids consignment sale I was assisting with.

Thank you for the replies. It keeps getting weirder... I came home from work today to a letter from Gerber Life, again sent to my maiden name. Am I on an evil version of Candid Camera? This really hurts. I wish I knew who sold my info. I want this to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->