TTC baby number 2 after IVF with first

goldfishy

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Not sure which forum this question is better suited to, but having had some great feedback here previously, I thought I'd ask.

We had ivf with our first baby in 2014 after ttc for 3 years. She's now 18 months and I'm 36. For those of you who were successful with ivf for baby number 1, how long did you ttc naturally, before fertility assistance, for baby number 2? Not sure how long I should wait before returning to clinic. We still have 2 frozen blasts. Do natural pregnancies happen often second time round?

Thanks

A lot of people (depending on the circumstances) can conceive naturally after IVF. We didn't even bother waiting and trying on our own this time around. Doing it on our own didn't work the first time, so we figured we'd be wasting our time. We had 5 frozen blasts. We transferred one, it didn't work, and then the remaining 4 didn't survive the thaw. We then had success with IUI. Good luck with whatever you decide!

We also didn't bother trying naturally after conceiving #1 via IVF. We had 3 (normal / PGD tested) frozen embryos remaining, so we went straight into trying FETs when we were ready to conceive #2. Our first transfer last December didn't take, and our second transfer in February ended with positive pregnancy tests but an empty (but growing) embryo sac. :nope: We have one normal embryo left, which we are working towards transferring next month.

Best of luck on your journey to conceive #2. I hope your journey is a lot smoother than ours has been. :hugs:

Thanks for responding. You've answered perfectly! Hubby thinks we should try naturally for 6 months whereas I just think we should return to the clinic. It was hard enough the first time and I can't see it being any easier now that I'm older.

Congrats on your success mmw430 and good luck to you too disneyfan!

We never used contraception after the birth of #1 and were hopeful it would just happen for #2 since we were unexplained. It obviously didn't, and we started the IVF process for #2 when our son was almost 2. Skipped IUI entirely. We probably would have TTC-ed on our own for less time if we have frosties like you do, but we were starting over from scratch and paying entirely out of pocket. It was a long journey to #2, but here we are.

And my friend in real life who had IVF twins got pregnant naturally by accident when the twins were under 2, so it does happen (but I think it is certainly the exception).

Good luck to you in whatever you and your husband decide!

We had our daughter in 2014 after IVF too, but have no Frozen embryos so starting from scratch.

Ive got stage IV endometriosis so we won't be trying naturally.

Also anxious as we have moved 4 hours away from our fertility clinic so will be using a different one this time.

Consultation appointment is on the 27th July so will find out when we're starting.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->