TTC from a Dude's perspective (after initial sub-fertile test results)

BigTex

Reaction score
Greetings y'all - I am new here, but I am eager to share my journey with everyone.

My wife (27yrs) and I (28yrs) have been TTC since last August (2013) when we got married. No positive tests. On April 22, I did my first SA and got some blood work done. The results were sub-fertile.

Let me share what I am doing to make conception happen and chronicle this journey, because research is showing that this is an increasing problem with men and couples in general. Apologies for anything TMI, lol...

The doc also said my testosterone was slightly low, and that we may need some extra help. He prescribed me Clomifene (well he actually prescribe me the wrong medication - an anti-depressant they treat OCD with, but thats a whole nother' story), and said we may need to do IUI. Needless to say I am finding a new urologist (not because of the clomid - I plan to take that, but because of the way he ignored my questions after I have done significant research, and prescribed me the completely wrong medication!)

Well, I am a go-getter and I am dedicated to making this happen if at all possible the ole' fashioned way (depending on my wife's results which she is going to her doc next week). Here is a bit of background and what I am doing to improve my numbers:

I used to be a pretty heavy drinker. I'm talking I could put in 6-10 beers on a Saturday watching college football or hockey, or hanging out with my buddies. During the week I could put away 3-4 beers in one evening. Before anyone judges me, I am quite successful with my career and a loving, caring, and supportive husband. But I have recently made a change. My wife and I also didn't really watch what we were eating, and we are each a good 40-50 pounds overweight (which is already changing).

April 22
Basic stats of my SA:
Sample size 2.1ml
Count 11 mil
Motility 13%

As of May 1, I haven't had a drop of alcohol and plan to severely limit it (I'm talking 1-2 drinks per weekend). Also, as of May 1, we have been doing whole30 which is a diet that is no sugar, no wheat / starch, no alcohol, no preservatives, no hormones, no dairy, only whole/organic/unprocessed foods. You would be surprised what has sugar in it (even meat). We are also hitting the gym more often (I've always been athletic - played college sports and have done Tough Mudders, but over the past couple years always had a bit of extra pounds despite this).

Well since since starting the diet we are both shedding inches off our waistlines (I've lost about 6 inches so far), feeling healthier and better, losing fat weight (about 8 pounds, not water or muscle), and on our way to being overall in better shape. I have also began a steady supplement regimen as follows on top of my diet:

Zinc 50mg 1/day
Vitamin D3 1000iu 2/day
Vitamin B12 500mcg 2/day
L-Carnitine 500mg 2/day
CoQ10 200mg 1/day
Ashwagandha 900mg 2/day

Fertility Blend 2/day
Vit C - 120mg
Vit E - 150iu
Vit B6 - 2mg
Vit B12 - 6mcg
Folate - 400mcg
Zinc - 15mg
Selenium - 70mcg
Proprietary Blend - 900mg
L-carinitine
Green Tea extract
Dong quai root extract

In summary, I plan to post progress updates (my next SA is scheduled for three months from now - which is about how long it takes my swimmers to develop). It will be good to see what changes happen as a result of this diet regimen. I really think there will be significant improvement because I have heard often that while reversible (once you quite drinking) alcohol is practically a "sperm toxin".

Anyway, stay tuned for updates on our situation, as well as my input as a dude into how this journey affects us. My only advice for other men so far is to not be discouraged as much as possible and to take it on as a challenge. We need to support each other in our relationships and help each other stay positive!

BigTex

Welcome, BigTex!

It's great that you and your wife are doing so much to improve your health and therefore your chances of conceiving. I'm sure the supplements, reducing alcohol and eating healthily will improve your next SA. I look forward to your updates. I'm sure you'll get your BFP soon!

It's so rare to see a male trying so hard, and so involved. Congratulations on that! It sounds like you and your wife are doing everything you can do at this point to try and have a baby. I wish my husband was more proactive!

Great job!!! Check out maca. It is great for sperm count. Maca magic makes an alcohol free tincture that doesn't taste as bad as the rest!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! Ill have to check out maca well. Ill keep yall posted on how things are going!

BigTex

welcome! I myself have started taking supplements and have completely cut down on alcohol, not that it was much anyway. were suffering with really long cycles like today is cd 74. dear fiance had her bloods done and her levels came back fine doc thinks just ovulating at different times. I haven't had any tests myself yet as were not ttc for a year yet but thought I would take the vitamins to boost our chances :) good luck to you.

You know - the supplements can't hurt as long as you just double check for medical interactions, etc. The one thing that can be a big help is Zinc - you just have to be careful because too much can be toxic and I always take it after a full meal otherwise it will upset your stomach.

I'd recommend running everything by your general practitioner (I work in Contract Law, I'm not a doctor, lol) so don't take any of my advice as medical advice, just experience. I forgot to mention, getting natural celery seed (you can buy it online) also seems to help as well.

I'm hoping to hear some success stories of other gents who have noticed improvements in their numbers after cutting back on alcohol. Good luck to anyone who is on a similar journey that I am on!

I think it's great you are both dedicated to doing this. Being overweight, eating unhealthy, drinking, etc. really does impact fertility. It may be something I need to do as well. Good luck in your journey, it sounds like you are very determined!

Well done both of you, is good to see a few men on here, and even better to see the effort and dedication you are putting in :)

Hey y'all,

It's been a while since I've updated everyone. I went back in for a second Analysis in September and my numbers had tanked which was pretty disheartening. In between the two analyses I had a lot of stress (buying a new house, work related, etc), so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

Good news is, in early December I had another analysis after being on clomid for three months and laying off alcohol significantly. Here is a summary of all three of my SAs...

SA1: April 2014
Count - 11 mil / ml
Quality - 3 (4 is normal)
Motility - 13% (50% is normal)

SA2: September 2014
Count - <1 mil
Quality - 2
Motility - 1%

SA3: December 2014 (Clomid for 3 months / major reduction of alcohol intake)
Count - 37.1 million / ml
Quality - 4
Motility - 1%

The most recent SA now has normal numbers for Count and Quality, but the motility is still low. We need at least 20% to try IUI and 50% for natural conception.

Has anyone had experience with just low motility and improving that number? I am going to keep doing everything I've been doing and add in a lot of vitamins to my daily regimen, to include B12, CoQ10, Acetyl-L Carnitine, E, D, Zinc, and Vitamin C.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who has had similar issues.

Thanks

BigTex

Hey Big Tex - gosh your December stats are a great improvement - interesting how much of a difference September to December was - it really can fluctuate quite quickly!

Any update or recent tests done?

Oh just found your update from 19th Feb - best wishes hope all goes well xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->