TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Thank you both. It was all going better until some milk came back. Now if I count or try to restrict her at all, she screams. I think she's close to giving up her nap, and the only way she'll do it is either with milk, or a long drive, and I don't want to drive her around for an hour every day! It's a tough decision to give her milk and get a break while she naps, or not give her milk but have her awake all day and grumpy in the afternoon.

This parenting lark isn't always easy is it?!

Yup! What about explaining to her that it's sore on mommy's breasts? I'm trying to remember what else I read. :dohh: She seems old enough to understand it hurts. What about a special toy or something or cuddling and reading a book?

Yup! What about explaining to her that it's sore on mommy's breasts? I'm trying to remember what else I read. :dohh: She seems old enough to understand it hurts. What about a special toy or something or cuddling and reading a book?

She definitely knows it hurts. She tells me she'll be gentle, but can't understand I want her to stop. Unfortunately, when she's like that, nothing else will do. She won't let me touch her at all. I just try to be sympathetic and wait for her to calm down. She usually then tells me "I'm your friend again now mummy." which is always nice to hear!

Tacey, there are always a few things I ask myself when my DS1 starts to nurse more: "How is he feeling? Sick? Overtired? Hyperstimulated? Hungry?" "Is he teething? (2 year molars)" Its so hard for me to try to be understanding towards him when it seems like he just won't unlatch and its hurting. Most often I try to zone out or meditate, other times I try repositioning, while still other times I just have to tell him no (usually by telling him the milk is all gone). Its hard. :hugs:

Tacey, there are always a few things I ask myself when my DS1 starts to nurse more: "How is he feeling? Sick? Overtired? Hyperstimulated? Hungry?" "Is he teething? (2 year molars)" Its so hard for me to try to be understanding towards him when it seems like he just won't unlatch and its hurting. Most often I try to zone out or meditate, other times I try repositioning, while still other times I just have to tell him no (usually by telling him the milk is all gone). Its hard. :hugs:

Yes, she's got a cold. I think that's a big part of it. I'm trying to remember that the frequency should ease off soon. I'm lucky that it doesn't really hurt, although that's how I describe it to her. It's just an intense, crawling wrong feeling. It's all I can do not to push her off me, and I get such negative feelings about her when she's latched. Hopefully she'll be on the mend soon.

Me again!

Honestly, I should probably start relaxing about this whole nursing in pregnancy thing!

Anyway, I'm a little concerned as I've started getting tightenings during a longish feed, with some pain at the bottom of my bump. I know that's common, but what worries me slightly is that it takes a good 10 - 15 minutes to ease off. I'm only 28 weeks, and I'm wondering if this will happen more as I get more pregnant. Has anybody had a similar thing while pregnant, and did it get worse?

The contractions I had around 28weeks seemed pretty strong, but they just kept getting stronger and stronger. Never developed into labour though. Towards the end they were as strong as early labour contractions. I stopped being able to sleep whilst nursing due to contraction pain somewhere around the 28-30week time.

The longer I nursed for the longer contractions continued. I remember DD having a cold or teething pain or something around 32weeks where she was in bed with us and fed for 2hours, contractions lasted several hours afterwards. With shorter nursings the contractions eased off quicker afterwards or stopped as soon as the feed stopped.

:wave:

Hi, heaven! I hope you figure out if you are pg for sure soon.

Hi, LG! Welcome!

Tacey, I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. :( I think you are doing the best you can do. That is all you can ask of yourself. Alice is old enough to understand that she can't always have exactly what she wants when she wants it. Not even mommy's milk. It's a hard lesson, but one she can learn. Just be consistent. I found that key. I didn't say no unless I was really prepared to follow through with the no. It cut down on the begging and pleading A LOT.

I have complete confidence you will be able to enjoy nursing your new baby. For me, all signs of BF agitation with Otter left as soon as I gave birth. I felt more mild (but still annoying enough to avoid) versions of it when I nursed the two of them together. So, I simply rarely did that. I thoroughly enjoyed tandem nursing and am sure you will, too. :hugs:

I never had serious BH contractions with either of my kids, so can't be much help there. DK did come a bit early at 36+4, but I don't feel like that was because I was nursing Otter. I think she was just ready. My water broke in the middle of the night and I didn't start getting even mild contractions for another 8 hours. When they checked me I wasn't even a bit dialated or effaced! :shock: (I had to have a section anyway.) I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling has always been that nursing Otter didn't bring on labor. :shrug:

Hang tough, hon. I know it is hard, but you can do it. And you will think it is worth it in the end. :hugs:

I posted a thread about this on the main board, but will mention in here... Otter has naturally weaned. I'm both happy and sad about that. He was ready and so was I. So, that is a great thing. He BF for 31 months and we tandem nursed for 18 months. :cloud9:

Thanks (again!) everyone! Encouraging to know that the contractions after feeding are normal. Maybe I'll have to persuade her to feed for shorter periods. TL - I really appreciate hearing your experience that the agitation mainly ended for you after birth. I know I used to enjoy BF, but I can't really imagine it now. I'll just have to have faith that things will improve! I answered on your other thread, but congratulations again on such wonderful milestones, and such a happy (but emotional) end to one breastfeeding journey. Please keep popping in here - your experience is invaluable!

Oh, and thought I'd share this one. Alice wanted a feed, I wasn't keen and reminded her I was 'sore'. She said 'I will be really, really dreadful Mummy." - I think she was going for careful. Unfortunately, she lived up to her statement!

Hi Tacey,
I get strong contractions when I bf Isla - this seems to happen most severely in the early morning - the new LO also seems to really really squirm about then as well. I did speak with my LLL about it and apparently its only after 38 weeks that the body is able to react to them.
I can empathise with you so strongly about the whole bf in pregnancy situation - I was so heartened to read TL's post where she said that the resentment/difficult feelings stopped when her new LO was born.
At the moment, I am finding it so hard too - if ever you feel like a good old moan or offload with someone in the same period of pregnancy would help, please don't hesitate to come find me via PM - it would help me too as I am feeling very isolated at the moment.
Take much care and keep up the good work whilst being kind to yourself xx

:wave:

Hi, heaven! I hope you figure out if you are pg for sure soon.

Hi, LG! Welcome!

Tacey, I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. :( I think you are doing the best you can do. That is all you can ask of yourself. Alice is old enough to understand that she can't always have exactly what she wants when she wants it. Not even mommy's milk. It's a hard lesson, but one she can learn. Just be consistent. I found that key. I didn't say no unless I was really prepared to follow through with the no. It cut down on the begging and pleading A LOT.

I have complete confidence you will be able to enjoy nursing your new baby. For me, all signs of BF agitation with Otter left as soon as I gave birth. I felt more mild (but still annoying enough to avoid) versions of it when I nursed the two of them together. So, I simply rarely did that. I thoroughly enjoyed tandem nursing and am sure you will, too. :hugs:

I never had serious BH contractions with either of my kids, so can't be much help there. DK did come a bit early at 36+4, but I don't feel like that was because I was nursing Otter. I think she was just ready. My water broke in the middle of the night and I didn't start getting even mild contractions for another 8 hours. When they checked me I wasn't even a bit dialated or effaced! :shock: (I had to have a section anyway.) I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling has always been that nursing Otter didn't bring on labor. :shrug:

Hang tough, hon. I know it is hard, but you can do it. And you will think it is worth it in the end. :hugs:

I posted a thread about this on the main board, but will mention in here... Otter has naturally weaned. I'm both happy and sad about that. He was ready and so was I. So, that is a great thing. He BF for 31 months and we tandem nursed for 18 months. :cloud9:

Thanks love! I will test and post the pics of the tests this weekend either way! I have been really emotional by little things again and have had lots of cravings again.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....(sorry for the wait, I order my tests online which test at 10hcg instead of 25 ore 50, which most tests test for).
I love knowing I have support and that I can turn to this for all of my questions. I was worried that my LO wouldn't be able to fully nurse b/c it would take nutrition from her.

Nope! Your body can manage it. Just make sure to take care of yourself. Eat right and get as much rest as you can. Your body will put your unborn baby first, your nursling second, and you last. So, if you lack anything in your diet, you will suffer for it more than your babies. Calcium could be a real problem, especially later. So, take your prenatals.

Your body is capable of doing amazing things! :thumbup:

Well the :witch: has finally arrived! :happydance: I had poss ov pains and a positive OPK 13 days ago and AF started yesterday. :flower: Never been so happy to have a visit from AF. Seems quite mild in terms of cramps too, even though it's fairly heavy. :thumbup:

Glad we can properly TTC now. :thumbup:

Hi all. I just found this thread and ordered adventures in tandem nursing today. I really want to nurse both the babies. My Dr told me I need to wean as she doesn't think I can handle the caloric needs. Can anyone help with this as I feel like I'm always starving and always sooooo exhausted!

GL, span! :dust:

Jaymes, why does your doc think you can't handle the caloric needs? Most women can. Unless you have an eating disorder or medical problem, I can't imagine why you would need to wean.

Do you feel like you are having trouble eating enough?

Being in first tri while BF another nursling is unbelievably exhausting. I've never been so utterly tired in my entire life. Never. It was dreadful. But it eases a bit in second tri.

No eating disorder, but I do have problems digesting. How many calories do I need? And does the book have suggestions on some of the things I need to be eating. I don't want to give up my nursing relationship with Lexi, but pal has made me very nervous.
My dh is getting on me about not getting stuff done around the house during the day, but I just can't seem to muster the energy. Are there foods I can eat to boost my energy? I've been trying to have a protien with every meal, but I am also semi vegetarian. (I don't like meat, but I force myself to eat it as I don't digest as well, and I need the protein.)

I wish I could increase my energy levels! Feel like cr@p.

Does anyone know safe levels of calcium supplement while pregnant and nursing? Been taking calcium and vit D to help my milk production but worried I'm taking too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->