• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Hi ladies :)

I'm 14 weeks now, and my boobs are still haywire! They keep letting down at random points during the day and leaking?! Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else? Or should I just be grateful that my supply isn't going (yet)? Thank you :)

Thanks Tacey :) I guess its just a case of continue with what i set out with - to let lo self wean when the time is right for her. I am interested in the comment that some babies wean and then go back to it later - i wonder how long a toddler can go without b'fing before they lose the ability to? xx

Thanks Tacey :) I guess its just a case of continue with what i set out with - to let lo self wean when the time is right for her. I am interested in the comment that some babies wean and then go back to it later - i wonder how long a toddler can go without b'fing before they lose the ability to? xx

Anecdotally, a friend of mine's eldest weaned about 3 months before the new arrival, then returned to it as soon as her milk came in. Another weaned hers early in pregnancy, and has just offered again successfully nearly a year on, so big gaps seem to be manageable.

I'm in my TWW... can't wait to see if we're expecting again!

Ladies, I am finding being pregnant and breastfeeding so draining. I am dragging my feet all day and can barely get moving to get out of the house let alone function in the world without practically falling asleep! This is crazy, please tell me it won't last much longer, I think my 12 month old is getting fed up with his tired mommy!

:hugs: To all the tandem feeders and pregnant and breastfeeders.

In regards to the self-weaning, it's interesting cause I was reading in AITN that some toddlers will wean and then go back to the breast once the milk comes back in when the baby is born!

people think im crazy for wanting another baby sometime soon, connor is now nearly 5 months, but we want two close in age, am i crazy??
xx

Hi ladies :)

I'm 14 weeks now, and my boobs are still haywire! They keep letting down at random points during the day and leaking?! Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else? Or should I just be grateful that my supply isn't going (yet)? Thank you :)

Hmm... I don't remember that specifically, but it doesn't really surprise me. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is a pain. Like you said, be glad your supply isn't going. :thumbup:

I'm in my TWW... can't wait to see if we're expecting again!

GL!!!! :dust:

Ladies, I am finding being pregnant and breastfeeding so draining. I am dragging my feet all day and can barely get moving to get out of the house let alone function in the world without practically falling asleep! This is crazy, please tell me it won't last much longer, I think my 12 month old is getting fed up with his tired mommy!

I have said many times: Being pregnant in first tri and BF another one is one of the most emotionally, physically, and mentally exhausting things a woman can do. It's unbelievably exhausting. Shockingly exhausting. I remember laying on my bed, a pile of toys around me, and Otter (at about 5.5 months old) just sitting there playing with toys. It was all I could do to keep half an eye open to make sure he was safe. I couldn't even bring myself to interact with him. I felt like a crap mom!

But it doesn't last long and they don't remember. You'll still be tired, but it will get more manageable in second tri.

:hugs:

Argh, I think TTC is on hold for us. I'm not sure if I want to be pregnant and flying with a moving toddler. I'll still keep this thread up though! :)

Sorry TTC is on hold Ozzie

I have a question... I am NTNP currently. I would be TTC but due to BF I haven't gotten my first PP AF yet... What are my chances of conceiving? Should we even bother? I'm starting to get sad from BFNs (I'm testing once a week (or more if I feel like torturing myself) so if I do end up pregnant I'm not too far gone). I've done the reading. Could take several cycles of AF to get a LP long enough to keep a pregnancy. I'm just sooo broody and getting so sad. Thanks for anything that may help.

:wave: Hi, Spunky.

It's really hard to determine when AF might come back when you are BF. It is different for every woman and even every child of the same woman. There is simply no way to predict it.

Is your LO STTN? Many women will get AF back shortly after their nursling is fully night weaned.

James has been STTN fairly regularly since 5.5 weeks(we are very blessed) but he can't be bothered to eat solids. I'm thinking maybe once he actually eats something other than boob maybe I'll get a return of AF. Do you know the chances of getting pregnant before first AF so late in the game?

Thanks!

I had three what I would call breakthrough bleeds before I conceived, they were like half a day to a day spotting and they ranged from 20 days apart to 42 so were very random. And I got pregnant from one split condom so it is possible before you've had a proper cycle I guess! Good luck.

Sorry TTC is on hold Ozzie.

Thanks for the reply TigerLady :flower:

Hi Ladies,
wish I'd notice this thread earlier. I've got a nearly 13month old DD and found out last week that I'm expecting baby number 2. We weren't trying as such but not preventing as it took us 3 years to get Miss V - needless to say we were rather shocked to find out we are pg so soon - happy but shocked.

I posted earlier on in the week to see if anyone could offer any advice re weaning miss V off breast milk. I don't want to as wanted her to wean herself when ready but tbh I don't particularly want to tandem feed. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if ended up doing anyway. My hope is that Miss V will stop herself when my milk changes but there's no guarantees this will happen.

Can any of you ladies offer me any advice as to how to approach weaning her off? I know she doesn't "need" it as when she's with my Mum or the Childminder can go all day without but when with me want it whenever she's tired. Plus I feed her if she hurts herself as it helps calm and settle her. I suppose I offer it more than she really needs but have been trying not to.

I just feel so guilty for even thinking about making her stop. My family and friends think I'm being daft and don't understand why I'm finding the thought so difficult but i feel awful about it and so mean :cry:

Please help if you can.
Sorry for the long post.

x

:hugs: Why stop? Most toddlers will wean during pregnancy and some will un-wean once the baby is born. If you feel guilty, it's a sign you don't want to stop.

You can always try don't offer, don't refuse or gentle distraction.

Aww LittleMissV, I can sympathise with you in that I felt terrible guilt for getting pregnant whilst still feeding my DD, as I knew the possibility of losing by supply was great and I felt awful because of that.

I've been ok so far, breastfeeding and first trimester was hard, hard work, it makes you emotional and is exhausting, but it has flown by! People said to me oh your second pregnancy would go fast and it really has as I've literally not had time to sit and think about it! Perhaps the extreme tiredness and emotion is impacting on your decision, but I can understand why you would want to wean as it's so tiring. I would try don't offer don't refuse to start with and then you may find between 14-18 weeks where your supply is likely to take a hit she may self wean.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck, let us know how you are getting on :hugs: xx

I don't want to stop, really I don't. I just feel like I should. Not sure why tbh, guess the thought of feeding both a newborn and a toddler scares me a little.

I am finding it a little hard atm in that I seem to doze off whenever I'm feeding Verity, bad I know but I can't help it.

How have people found tandem feeding? Is it as difficult as I think it will be or am I making mountains out of mole hills?

I'm going to try and stop worrying about it and just see how it goes...if she stops, she stops, if she doesn't I'm sure I'll cope.

Thanks for your replies ladies and congrats on you pg DJ987.

I suggest getting Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I've been reading it and it is so wonderful and so encouraging! The link is on the first page :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->