TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

The first thing I would do is increase your personal water consumption. With being pregnant and nursingyou should be drinking 12+ glasses of water a day (especially if its hot!) I drink over 15 glasses of water a day just to keep my supply up at a working level. This website is always useful to see how much water you should be drinking a day: water calculator HTH! :flower:

I gave my LO water at about 6 months. She's also had expressed breastmilk in a sippy since about then. I had to go back to work at 12 weeks. She is still very happy to nurse in the morning and before bed.

My problem is the sudden return of nipple soreness. It kills me when she latches, and with older sibs in the house she is constantly being distracted. I know there is nothing to do about it, but I just needed a little whine... Sorry.

Well I got a :bfp: this morning.:thumbup: The worry is I also had blood when I wiped - enough to make me think AF was starting. I've only had brown mixed with CM since, which is getting lighter all the time, so fingers crossed it was implantation or a breakthrough bleed rather than AF. I'm going to test again in the morning. I'm also still temping so will hope my temp stays high. :wacko:

Well I got a :bfp: this morning.:thumbup: The worry is I also had blood when I wiped - enough to make me think AF was starting. I've only had brown mixed with CM since, which is getting lighter all the time, so fingers crossed it was implantation or a breakthrough bleed rather than AF. I'm going to test again in the morning. I'm also still temping so will hope my temp stays high. :wacko:

:happydance: Congratulations! The blood doesn't sound too worrying from how you describe it (although it never stops us does it?!). Hope you have a very happy and healthy 9 months!

congratulations span, hopefully that little bit of blood isnt anything to worry about

WOOOO! Span! Congrats! So exciting! Hope the bleeding goes away so you can be less concerned!

Hi ladies,

Don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or not but...

I found out I was pregnant a couple of days ago - ntnp - 1st month, so bit of a shock! But v happy. It's uber early days - AF was due today but one of the things that had me test was the fact that my supply has dropped - like by a good few ounces and I've also started leaking milk at night (which seems rather contradictory!).

I was only expressing between 7 and 10 ounces a day (lo drinks 7 ounce bottle of EBM at night) but yesterday I only got 5 ounces. Is this due to pregnancy? (it used to dip by half an oz to an oz before AF, but then bounce back up again)

Can my supply be affected this early? And what's with the leaking boobs at night (right one actually leaked quite alot last night) - haven't had this since lo was a couple of months old...

Is there anything I can do to increase my supply at this stage, or is this inevitable?

Sorry for all the q's - and thanks in advance:flower:

x

From what I've read, it's kinda inevitable. You can keep drinking loads of water and eat oats though which should help.

I'm cramping like mad here. We had a slip up around O time. I'm getting loads of EWCM. I honestly hope it's just AF coming, lol.

EWMC before AF? Really?
Pachamama - I found my supply dropped lots in the first few weeks, seemed to pick up then a fortnight ago dropped massively, from what I've read it's a hormone thing. Some people are affected more than others. I know a couple of people IRL who have fed through pregnancy. I tried pumping to increase supply but it didn't help for us but I've always had low supply after a horrendous start to BFing.
I might unsubscribe from this thread as I'm no longer BFing in pregnancy :(. I hope to come back tandem feeding!

I found it wasn't so much the supply that dropped in the early days, but my let-down. Since its harder to let down when expressing than when feeding I would guess a pretty immediate reduction in what's pump-able is very possible.

Congratulations span! I had red spotting with sidneys pregnancy, it was just implantation :)

I also got my BFP, yesterday! Its a little faint for my dpo, but I'm hoping tomorrows is darker! Fingers crossed! X

Congratulations Dan-O! :happydance: Think we're both 4 weeks now? :flower:

Supply is something I've been worried about so hope it stays up for a while yet. I guess it's good it took from the new year to get duffed as Meg is one in 2 weeks and I've had the target of a year of BFing for ages. I'm happy to continue for now, as long as she is, but I'd actually be very happy for her to wean sometime in the next few months. :flower:

Hi all,
Tacey, just want to wish you lots of luck - not long to go now!!!

OK, I need major help, advice and support if possible........Elodie was born two weeks ago. Isla (just turned 2) saw and cuddled her immediately following her birth and so far her daytime behaviour whilst challenging on occasion has been ok and more or less how I expected. There have been no jealous attacks of any sort directed at Elodie. The big problems arrive at bedtime. We co-sleep - Isla on one side of me and Elodie on the other, in a super kingsized bed. My husband sleeps in a double bed pushed up next to ours.
Isla has been extremely unsettled during the nights since Elodie was born. It seems to be getting worse not better. She is waking constantly and the only thing she will accept is the breast. If she has to wait for it any length of time she screams and screams. If I am feeding Elodie she can't wait for a turn. Last night I was lying with Isla on a breast with my arm twisted round so Elodie could suck on my finger til Isla had finished. I have tried sittling up and feeding both but cant get isla lying down and unlatched without her screaming.
I feel she feels in competition for milk and the breast. I am at my wits end. I am unsure of whether there is a solution or if we need to just ride out the storm. Any advice and experiences so welcome.
Hope someone can help............xx

I think you've hit the nail on the head :( Sounds like a competition. If you want, I can check and see if there is anything in Adventures in Tandem Nursing about this? I know it won't be personal experience, but it might give some insight?

Thanks Laughing Girl!

Is there any way she'd accept cuddling with daddy instead of milk? We had to give up cosleeping in the 1st trimester, and I slept downstairs while she slept with DH. Considering she'd been nursing 4 or 5 times a night I didn't hold out much hope, but unbelievably she settled into a new routine after a couple of nights. Even on the first nights she was never really upset, just grizzled a bit.

If you don't feel she's ready though, I would bet it won't last too long. Have you tried talking to her about it in the day time, maybe while she's getting ready for bed.

Hope it improves soon, and that you're all sleeping well again. Congratulations too!

I think you've hit the nail on the head :( Sounds like a competition. If you want, I can check and see if there is anything in Adventures in Tandem Nursing about this? I know it won't be personal experience, but it might give some insight?

Yes please, that would be great if you could xx We just dont know which way to turn xx

When I tandem feed at night I have baby tucked in my left arm and latched on. Then toddler kneels next to me, latches on, puts her head on my shoulder and lies down. I'm a little stretched but manage to keep them both happy.

Generally toddler doesn't co-sleep, but if she wants to stay in our bed she has to stick to the rules (no kicking off covers or talking and singing) or she has to go back to her cot. She has a basic understanding of this and usually chooses to sleep in her own bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->