TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

I found the first few weeks to be rather exhausting with co-sleeping and had the same problem as you, that DS1 wanted to nurse almost every time DS2 was nursing. In the early weeks it is harder at night, I think, because the newborn isn't always the greatest at latching and I couldn't lay down while nursing both until about 6 weeks. Until that time, I would prop myself up in the corner with a bunch of pillows so it was more like I was reclining and have DS1 sleep semi-reclined, and didn't worry about him lying down flat. If you do decide to continue to co-sleep, I am living proof that it will get better and I believe it has helped foster a bond between the entire family to tandem nurse and co-sleep :hugs: Wish I could just make it go away for you, but I can offer consolation because I've been there and know what you're going through! (And we all sleep on a Queen-sized bed!) :flower:

My pregnancy didn't stick, so we're back to TTC.
I'm 99% sure this was nothing to do with BFing, my cycles and LP seem too normal.

Hoping the next one comes along very soon! x

:hugs: dan-o. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending loads of :dust: your way!

So sorry to hear that dan-o :hugs: :hugs: Be gentle with yourself, and good luck for when you TTC again xx

When I tandem feed at night I have baby tucked in my left arm and latched on. Then toddler kneels next to me, latches on, puts her head on my shoulder and lies down. I'm a little stretched but manage to keep them both happy.

Generally toddler doesn't co-sleep, but if she wants to stay in our bed she has to stick to the rules (no kicking off covers or talking and singing) or she has to go back to her cot. She has a basic understanding of this and usually chooses to sleep in her own bed.

Celesse, are you lying down feeding or sitting up?

I found the first few weeks to be rather exhausting with co-sleeping and had the same problem as you, that DS1 wanted to nurse almost every time DS2 was nursing. In the early weeks it is harder at night, I think, because the newborn isn't always the greatest at latching and I couldn't lay down while nursing both until about 6 weeks. Until that time, I would prop myself up in the corner with a bunch of pillows so it was more like I was reclining and have DS1 sleep semi-reclined, and didn't worry about him lying down flat. If you do decide to continue to co-sleep, I am living proof that it will get better and I believe it has helped foster a bond between the entire family to tandem nurse and co-sleep :hugs: Wish I could just make it go away for you, but I can offer consolation because I've been there and know what you're going through! (And we all sleep on a Queen-sized bed!) :flower:

Thanks for this support! Are you still co-sleeping and tandem nursing? How long was it until your oldest adapted to things and stopped feeling in competition with your youngest? x

Thanks for this support! Are you still co-sleeping and tandem nursing? How long was it until your oldest adapted to things and stopped feeling in competition with your youngest? x

Yes, we are still co-sleeping and tandem nursing. From what I can remember, it took about a month to a month and half for the older one to stop competition nursing. However, since my supply had gone down during pregnancy, I think DS1 was also trying to catch up weight-wise, as he gained 2 pounds as soon as my milk came in. It could also have to do with the change in the taste of the milk, as well. (Just thinking off the top of my head, as I'm going to have to deal with it again in 6 months time:dohh:) Is it possible that your DD is ill or teething right now? that also seems to cause my sons to increase their nursing...

Yes, we are still co-sleeping and tandem nursing. From what I can remember, it took about a month to a month and half for the older one to stop competition nursing. However, since my supply had gone down during pregnancy, I think DS1 was also trying to catch up weight-wise, as he gained 2 pounds as soon as my milk came in. It could also have to do with the change in the taste of the milk, as well. (Just thinking off the top of my head, as I'm going to have to deal with it again in 6 months time:dohh:) Is it possible that your DD is ill or teething right now? that also seems to cause my sons to increase their nursing...

hi again, yes, its poss she might be teething......she is due a top canine and I thought I saw one not too far off popping through the other day........anyhow, sounds like there is hope that things will improve in a few weeks.........xxx

Silver Penny - how do you cope when both babies need you to nurse them at the same time? Has this got easier over time too?

When I tandem feed at night I have baby tucked in my left arm and latched on. Then toddler kneels next to me, latches on, puts her head on my shoulder and lies down. I'm a little stretched but manage to keep them both happy.

Generally toddler doesn't co-sleep, but if she wants to stay in our bed she has to stick to the rules (no kicking off covers or talking and singing) or she has to go back to her cot. She has a basic understanding of this and usually chooses to sleep in her own bed.

Celesse, are you lying down feeding or sitting up?

Lying down, with a memory foam pillow under head and shoulders. At first I thought it was going to be impossible to lie down and tandem feed, but with a little help from my milk hungry toddler we found a way. I do tend to unlatch baby as soon as he falls asleep so I'm less stretched and if toddler stays in the bed I unlatch her and roll her out of my arms.

:dohh: I haven't forgotten to look. I just got sidetracked yesterday.

Sadly, yesterday I found out I had a missed miscarriage. Question, will my supply bounce back? It took a pretty big hit once I found out I was pregnant.

:hugs: austinsmom. I'm not sure. I'm gonna look up something for laughing girl just now. I can check and see if there is any info as well? :hugs:

Laughing Girl: Wanting to be nursed back to sleep, etc is a common reaction to a new baby in the home and it's her way of coping with the fact that she's not the baby anymore. According to AITN, it's just one of the common reactions that should go with time :flower: I hope that helps!

Austinsmom: According to AITN, it's a common question by moms if their supply will rebound after a miscarriage. In some cases, yes, it does go back fully, but in other cases, it remains low. The author suggests using supplements if you feel that your supply isn't increasing again or returning to normal. Also, don't feel like breastfeeding has caused the miscarriage :hugs: Hope that helps :)

So sorry for your loss austinsmom :hugs:

:hugs: Austinsmom I can't even imagine! So sorry.

So sorry to hear that Austinsmom :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->