TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

I wonder if there is a pattern with those of us who have lost our supply completely being those feeding older babies and toddler?

My supply went completely and I dry nursed for a few weeks, but DD was reducing her feeds herself anyway and I was working at the time so 5 days a week I was away from DD for 6 hours. I think my supply would have stood a better chance if I was nursing a younger baby and wasn't separated from her.

I have a thread asking this question..... but specifically for tandem feeders....

....Did your AF return around the same time with #2 as it did with #1?

and did tandem feeding effect when AF came back?

I wonder if there is a pattern with those of us who have lost our supply completely being those feeding older babies and toddler?

My supply went completely and I dry nursed for a few weeks, but DD was reducing her feeds herself anyway and I was working at the time so 5 days a week I was away from DD for 6 hours. I think my supply would have stood a better chance if I was nursing a younger baby and wasn't separated from her.

I think that could be the case. The ladies I know who had babies under 1 while they were pregnant generally had a dip in supply, but managed to keep milk through until the end but the ones with older children seemed to have a significant drop, or dry up completely. Makes sense I suppose, although I'm hoping I get some milk back soon. Dry nursing is not fun.

I agree about baby vs. toddler nursing. Otter was 5 months - 13 months of age when I was pg with DK. My supply never had any real trouble, just a little dip.

My AF came back MUCH later after #2 than it did with Otter. With Otter I had AF back when he was 14 weeks. It corresponded with when he started sucking his thumb. When I was tandem nursing, AF stayed away until DK was about 7 months. She used me to comfort suck a lot more, though.

My supply only had a little dip (noticable only by my DS1 switching sides more often) AF returned at 5 months PP with DS1, but I also used a pacificer at times with him. With tandem nursing, I got my first PP AF when DS2 was almost 15 months old, so a significant difference. Oh, and I should add that with DS1 I had 10 extra pounds on my pre-pregnancy weight that I just couldn't shake. When DS2 came along I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight and then lost another 10 lbs. It was only when my weight stabilized and I gained a little back that AF returned.

:happydance: Just got Adventures in Tandem Nursing today!!!!! Can't wait to start reading!

:happydance: I always wanted to read it but never got around to buying it. Let me know if it is good. I've heard it is!

Just started reading, but already, it's so wonderful and reassuring! I def recommend it. It's totally worth the £15!

I love AITN! I felt it gave me permission to put restrictions in place. It's very reassuring.

Hope you don't mind ladies, but I'm here for a moan. The breastfeeding aversion is reaching new heights. I know it's worse because I'm tired, but it's hard to be rational. She's nursing as I type while she naps, and it's all I can do not to scream. It feels completely wrong and I feel so sad that our nursing relationship seems to be going so sour. Logically, I know weaning isn't really an option. She's going through a rough patch lately, and it's no time to be making big emotive changes. I just have to get on with it, but it's so HARD!

Ugh. End of moan! Very nice to vent though!

:hugs: This too, will pass, Tacey. There have been numerous times that breastfeeding aversion came over me whilst feeding DS1, but when I look into his eyes I know he's not ready to give it up. Its hard when it comes over you, especially while your pregnant, but you will love the relationship tandem nursing helps foster between your little ones. In my experience, it reduces jealousy and increases respect for one another.

Thanks silver_penny! It's good to hear from someone who's come out the other side.

And YAY for the sticky! Thanks for sorting it Ozzieshunni (and Wobbles too!)

No worries! I'm really enjoying AITN :) when I get a spare minute to read it :haha:

Big :hugs: Tacey. I'm pretty prone to BF agitation when tandem nursing. I get it now when I nurse both kids at once, so I don't nurse them together. I also had more than a few bouts of it when I was pg and nursing Otter. It was awful! I remember lying in the side by side position to nurse him, squeezing my eyes tight, clenching my teeth, throwing my head back, curling my toes, half my mind begging him to hurry up, the other half feeling horribly guilty because he was still such a baby and needed (and deserved!) BF.

Ugg... it was awful. :cry:

But I got through it. You can, too. Tandem nursing comes with great rewards -- but it absolutely requires sacrifices and isn't always easy.

:hug:

bump, don't want us to get lost! I'll bug Wobbles again about the sticky. She sent me a PM and asked which one we wanted removed. :)

Baby has hit 6 week growth spurt. Plan is to cheat and spend all day at home offering toddler extra boobies after baby has finished a side to get milk in quicker.

Celesse (and other tandem feeders!) - did you ever get engorged when your milk came in with your second, or did your older one 'help out'? I had a huge supply with Alice. I had bad engorgement and soaked through two towels a night. I'm hoping that I might avoid it this time!

Here's my update! Alice is feeding a huge amount. She asks constantly and I let her about 5 or 6 times a day, which is about as much as I can stand. She told me that there is some milk there. In fact, she unlatches to tell me exactly when it lets down. She says it tastes like cereal with strawberries in! Not sure if I'm getting some colostrum in or not. I can't hand express anything yet. Early days though I guess.

I ended up pretty engorged when my milk came in which was not until day 4. At the time DS was practically unconscious on the children's ward cos he was very poorly and DD was staying with her grandparents and only visiting for short periods. I was staying on the ward with DS and expressing and I did manage to get upgraded to a better pump.

I wanted to get DD in to feed, but the nurses where worried about letting her feed too much and taking away from milk I could be expressing for the baby. But since the breast pump was getting the milk from some of the ducts I "rebelled" and had DD feed before I ended up with mastitis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->