• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Hi ladies, I have questions / concerns that I was hoping you could help with. I have a 12 month old son who I still breastfeed. I just recently found out that we are expecting another child and I would st least like to continue to 4-5 months into the pregnancy. Currently I have noticed that my supply seems lower than usual (I pump one side in the mornings after feeding with the other for a single early morning feed, only getting 1 oz when I used to get 3 oz.) how do I know if the baby is getting enough milk? Should I give him one cup of homo milk as well to ensure his needs are met? Or just go with the flow letting him nurse when he feels like it until about a month before I wish to wean, then slowly introduce/reduce. He is a big fan of breastfeeding, and I see no signs of him slowing down yet. Any recommendations or experiences would be helpful :) tx

Like tardiz, We're also NTNP and I haven't had a PP AF yet. I'm worried this is going to take forever since I haven't had an AF yet.... I am soooo broody for #2.

Hi ladies, I have questions / concerns that I was hoping you could help with. I have a 12 month old son who I still breastfeed. I just recently found out that we are expecting another child and I would st least like to continue to 4-5 months into the pregnancy. Currently I have noticed that my supply seems lower than usual (I pump one side in the mornings after feeding with the other for a single early morning feed, only getting 1 oz when I used to get 3 oz.) how do I know if the baby is getting enough milk? Should I give him one cup of homo milk as well to ensure his needs are met? Or just go with the flow letting him nurse when he feels like it until about a month before I wish to wean, then slowly introduce/reduce. He is a big fan of breastfeeding, and I see no signs of him slowing down yet. Any recommendations or experiences would be helpful :) tx

I'd say at 12 months, just let him nurse as much as he wants, and offer balanced solids. I found Alice didn't eat much solid food until I got pregnant, and then really upped her intake.

:wave: Welcome to the new posters! Good luck with your TTC journeys!

Hopeful, I would agree to just let him nurse as much as he wants assuming you have the time and don't mind. You can also eat oatmeal everyday and up your protien, complex carb, and fluid intake. That might help some. It also would hurt to offer him a cup of homo milk if you thought he just wasn't satisfied. Both my kids started drinking cow milk at 12 months -- with meals mostly.

Thought you ladies might appreciate this. I've decided to gently broach my nursing aversion with Alice. I say it is sometimes painful, which isn't strictly true, but it's something she can understand. She tells me she'll just have a tiny bit and be very gentle. Today though she said very earnestly 'I'll try not to get any teeth marks on it this time!' before latching on! Very considerate...

Aww, Tacey, that is so neat! It was smart of you to think of it. And shows that Alice is starting to develop a good sense of empathy. And hopefully it will make her willing to stop a bit early if it gets too much for you during a session. You can just say "It hurts, can we have more later?" and hopefully she won't see it as a shock or rejection.

Hi Ladies... I haven't read through the whole thread... but do you think it's possible to post the signs/symtoms of pregnancy while breastfeeding on the first page (as kind of a quick reference)? I've tried googling, but nothing really comes up. I know most women get their period back, but some have just gotten pregnant without it! I have yet to get back my period, and my fear is I'll become pregnant without knowing the symtoms! Thanks! :flower:

I will get on that when I get home austinsmom :thumbup: As always though, it varies woman to woman.

I just had the exact same symptoms as I did with my DD. except sore boobs, they haven't hurt at all!

Yup, my symptoms were exactly the same as when I was in the 2ww with DS. I totally knew I was pg about a week before I took a test to confirm it. I was just in a bit of denial. :haha:

the only symptom i had was sore boobs with my pregnancies... so if that didn't happen, and no period, i'm afraid i wouldn't know! :haha:

You could always just test once per month. That way you'd be sure to catch any pregnancy well within first tri.

I got 2 BFN's on blue dye tests and still went out and got a pink dye on because I just knew! I think you know :haha:

hi I am Karla stillfeeding my 28 month old and pregnant with our 2nd.No supply issues as yet just sore nipples!!! DD feeds all day and all night shoo wee tiring!!! I am hoping to tandem feed!!!

Welcome :)

So, I had another argument with DH about breastfeeding. He doesn't think it's needed past a year and I never listen to him or his opinions blah blah blah blah. He hasn't once gotten up at night with Alex and now he's pushing to get him out of our room. I said, "Well, are you going to get him at night when he wakes up?" He couldn't answer. :growlmad:

Welcome Per! :wave: I hope you get to tandem feed!

Oz, totally typical. :dohh: I'm sorry. Just stand firm. Tell him that when he can present you with the credible, researched evidence that it is beneficial to stop at 12 months, then you will have a serious discussion with him about it. Hand him credible, researched evidence that it is best to go until at least 2 at the same time. Then, really, what does he have to argue??? :shrug:

Stubborn man won't read any evidence. He says it's his opinion :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->