TTC while on benefits?

I think its disgusting to TTC whilst on benefits.

Though if someone is on benefits for a legitimate health reason which means they can not work but are able to raise kids then I can understand why they would TTC as not being able to work is out of their control

but to TTC and just not bother to work is wrong

I agree with this. It's disgusting and wrong.

But for health reasons I think it's perfectly acceptable. My sisters OH has major health problems (schizophrenia and other problems) and they have 2 kids and live on benefits (I believe DLA, Tax Credits, Income Support and Housing/Ctax Benefit). My sister is his full time carer and they will never be able to work unless they find some miraculous cure so I don't think they should be denied the chance to have children. They both do voluntary work and every penny they get is spent on their kids and they also drill the importance of working into their kids.

As for a few girls I know from school, they will never work but continue to have kids for more benefits and bigger housing. The amount of tax etc. me and OH pay on our wages probably pays their benefits each month. Grrrr.

EDIT - That sounded very harsh!!! I don't mean those temporary on benefits for legitimate reasons, I just mean those people who will never work and don't want to either but think they can live on hand outs forever.

i can see i might have to ask for this thread to be locked since i either did not make my point clear or people arent reading it
i do not mean:- accidental (unplanned) pregnancy, those who have lost jobs and are trying to find work, those who are receiving benefits as a top up to partners wages etc

i mean :- couples who are actively trying to have children and are both claiming benefits and both have no desire to work and think that having children means they do not have to work

i do not think people who have no desire to work should ttc sorry if it sounds harsh but if they are too lazy to work whats to say they arent too lazy to raise a child (and by this i mean not actively looking for work the sort that say they dont want a job)

Though if someone is on benefits for a legitimate health reason which means they can not work but are able to raise kids then I can understand why they would TTC as not being able to work is out of their control

But for health reasons I think it's perfectly acceptable. My sisters OH has major health problems (schizophrenia and other problems) and they have 2 kids and live on benefits (I believe DLA, Tax Credits, Income Support and Housing/Ctax Benefit). My sister is his full time carer and they will never be able to work unless they find some miraculous cure so I don't think they should be denied the chance to have children. They both do voluntary work and every penny they get is spent on their kids and they also drill the importance of working into their kids.

As for a few girls I know from school, they will never work but continue to have kids for more benefits and bigger housing. The amount of tax etc. me and OH pay on our wages probably pays their benefits each month. Grrrr.

EDIT - That sounded very harsh!!! I don't mean those temporary on benefits for legitimate reasons, I just mean those people who will never work and don't want to either but think they can live on hand outs forever.

i agree with you and wasn't referring to people in your sisters situation because she is still working whether it be paid or not and she is teaching her children the importance of work
you hit the nail on the head with the bit i bolded

What about ones on benefits that accidently fall pregnant?

Should they not keep the child? Just curious :)

no i did say in the first post i didnt mean accidental pregnancies those happen condoms split other forms of contraception can fail none of them are 100% effective, i meant those who actively keep on having kids with no intention of ever working

If they stopped CB and CTC after the second child then people would just have to adjust what they spend, like they do in every other country without our cushy benefit system

no i did say in the first post i didnt mean accidental pregnancies those happen condoms split other forms of contraception can fail none of them are 100% effective, i meant those who actively keep on having kids with no intention of ever working

Oh dont mind me, must have missed that bit :blush:

If they stopped CB and CTC after the second child then people would just have to adjust what they spend, like they do in every other country without our cushy benefit system

agree :thumbup:

Our government encourages mums to stay at home, hence why you are not required to look for work till the child is of school age and the baby bonus was also designed for this very reason.... government help to have children, to help curb our aging population. But i do think that one parent should be working so minimum benefits, if any at all are received. No way should the household rely soley on benefits.

But i think if financially possible, one parent ideally should stay at home. Just my opinion :)

I don't think anyone was suggesting that :shrug: I dont think anyone would either.

See, I don't think your sister should be TTC either :shrug: Might sound harsh but she already has 2 children who she can't provide for, so why should they have another.
Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant but this thread is about ttc, not those who already have kids and their circumstances change.

I already replied to that above! I misunderstood thats all.

I do think the UK need to look at childcare issues. Private nurseries are SO expensive and not everyone has the luxury of a grandparent who can take their LO. All our parents still work fulltime. I claim £300 odd to help pay for amelies nursery and i still need to find a spare £200 every month to pay for the rest. I'm going to do it x2 when this baby is born so will probably give up work and we will be claiming CTC and WTC instead.

No probs, i jumped the gun a bit myself haha

I agree childcare is a huge issue. Its almost pointless me returning to work and paying for childcare, id basically be working for someone else to look after my child. Then we have a government that says you dont even need to look for work till your child is of school age. So those claiming are in no way rorting the system.

Luckily my husband is about to start a new job and we wont be receiving benefits i dont think, depends on his exact earnings. We will get only family tax payments, which even if both of us were working we would still be entitled to

Our current government seem to want it both ways. They want mothers back in work but they don't want to help us with the nursery fees. They are lowering the thresholds more and more :(

Amie- Leigh, I think your intention was clear so don't worry about needing the thread locked.

I do agree that having child after child to stay on benefits with no intention to work, is wrong. But I still disagree with the use of the word 'disgusting'. As long as they are good parents and love their kids and they are not living in squalor and are clean and fed and well cared for (no matter whether that money is earnt or from benefits) I refuse to see that as disgusting.

^ I agree anna. I find child abuse disgusting, not having a child whilst on benefits. I do think people sometimes throw the word around without thinking about it though.

I think the disgusting part comes from the fact that they are happy to let other people pay to bring up their children ,without contributing financially themselves. It really is not right. There are many parts to the benefits system but no part of it should be there to support the lifestyle choice of someone who can but does not bother working or does not try to find work.

I would quite like someone to contribute to our lifestyle but as we are entitled only to CB it is not going to happen. I will continue to be disgusted by the people who think it is okay for my husband to work to support his own family and pay taxes to support those who don't bother trying to get work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->