TTC while on benefits?

I agree its wrong. I think I get a bit touchy on this topic because I am on benefits whilst at college. I know its different because I definitely want to go to uni and get a job and can't imagine doing otherwise tbh but it still hits a nerve :lol:

I agree its wrong. I think I get a bit touchy on this topic because I am on benefits whilst at college. I know its different because I definitely want to go to uni and get a job and can't imagine doing otherwise tbh but it still hits a nerve :lol:

Understandable but your situation is very different. You are working towards a point where you will be providing for your LO yourself.

It is always the same when things are close to home isn't it? Always makes me a bit prickly!

Firstly, I have to say that I do not disagree with benefits when used correctly. Almost anyone can lose their job and need that money until they get another and some people can not work for genuine reasons but I do not think people should be TTC if neither parent intends to work. In fact I would say that unless for a good reason (eg; it really is a medical case of now or never) then TTC while between jobs may not be wise either. I do not think it is quite the same if one parent works and the other stays at home because the reality is that unless you have a very well paid job then childcare can cost more than you can earn. I do not want to digress too much but there are a lot of pressures to keep a lot of women as SAHM's.

My personal situation is that my husband works full time night shifts and I am a full time student (so yes, I do get a student loan so not benefits but I know some people seem to see it similar) and my husband looks after our son for the hours in the day when I am at university and I am very lucky that if I have an evening class my MIL helps out. I know how hard it is to have to keep up with both of us working/studying and the troubles involved so I can see why one part of the couple working and one staying at home is the best option for most. My deepest home is that my degree may lead to a good enough job for my husband to be a SAHD and to home-school (although the hope for that is that I earn enough of course). But if we were not working I definitely would not be TTC!

i think the issue is when people choose to be on benefits - full stop! Having a child to stay in that situation is just a symptom. Initially, they've chosen to not be a contributing member of society.

I woud love to be a SAHM, and my hubby is a student and now that he's on his course I've been advised by no less than 2 advisors to cut down my hours etc as I'll get more benefits that way. Errrr, no thanks. I work 30 hours a week in a job I hate but I will not be seen as a scrounger! We want to have more children, yes, but I want to earn my entitlement to MA/SMP and use what I am entitled to by fair means, not foul!

It is getting harder to claim though - I know this first hand as before we moved we were almost completely broke as I was on JSA and we couldn't claim CTC and any income support as hubby was about to start his degree. I have no idea how we got by those 3 months......but things are a lot better now that I'm working! :thumbup:

I've got a couple of friends and one of my family members who have had second children to keep their benefits and they don't have any intention of even looking for work, now I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's disgusting. I've found myself having to bite my tongue at times to keep quiet, but the way I see it their children are loved and well looked after, it's just a shame that they'd prefer not to work to support their child as I dread to think of what sort of example it will be setting.

From my own personal experience, I was ttc and both my partner and I were on benefits. I was (and still am) claiming carer's allowance for helping to look after my disabled mother, and Chris was on job seekers. We'd made a move to Wales after my dad had died so that I could be closer to family. As it is, Chris now has a well paid job, but at the time I didn't see any problem with ttc as we knew we wouldn't be in that situation forever as Chris was determined to get a job :thumbup:

No, I don't think people on benefits should be TTC (with the exception of physical disability). Having a child is only going to prolong the time a person is receiving them, and I think that time would be better spent figuring out how to get out of that situation.

Though I suppose saying that could make me a bit of a hypocrit. My husband and I could probably have waited till we were in better financial standing before having another baby... but we make it ok. Both work hard, and arrange our schedules so we don't need child care. So it works.

You know, I guess I can't say either way. It's hard to know what it's like to be in that position, so maybe there is something I'm missing....

Chris works and you're a carer for your mum hun, it's the people that don't have a job, don't plan on working and are ttc expecting working people to pay for them that do my head in x

I've got a couple of friends and one of my family members who have had second children to keep their benefits and they don't have any intention of even looking for work, now I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's disgusting. I've found myself having to bite my tongue at times to keep quiet, but the way I see it their children are loved and well looked after, it's just a shame that they'd prefer not to work to support their child as I dread to think of what sort of example it will be setting.

From my own personal experience, I was ttc and both my partner and I were on benefits. I was (and still am) claiming carer's allowance for helping to look after my disabled mother, and Chris was on job seekers. We'd made a move to Wales after my dad had died so that I could be closer to family. As it is, Chris now has a well paid job, but at the time I didn't see any problem with ttc as we knew we wouldn't be in that situation forever as Chris was determined to get a job :thumbup:

That does my head in too ... espescially with certain members of my family doing it :grr: They have no plans whatsoever to get off their backsides and look for work :nope:

I know someone who does it, they are capable of working but don't and then they moan when they have no money and get bitchy that Mike and I can afford to buy a house and treat ourselves! I've worked since I was 16 and so has Mike! x

If you mean benefits like our Welfare system then No. Here you can't provide properly for a child on income assistance (welfare) and I personally think it's stupid and irresponsible to TTC when you can't afford to provide for the child.

Benefits in the UK are different though, so I am not too sure about that one.

I think it's wrong to TTC while on benefits. Very wrong. Disgusting. And too many people get away with it!

I know of a couple that have 5 children, expecting their 6th, and all but the first one was actively conceived while they are on benefits, best thing is he claims disability for a bad back which he says means he can't do anything/any type of work yet has conceived 5 children with this bad back. But I also know from his wife that he puts it on every time he has an assessment so he can continue claiming the benefit because he doesn't want too work

I actually think it is sad for the children as they are being taught nothing too prepare for their own futures as parents :(

I don't get why some people call it disgusting ttc whilst on benefits?? :shrug: Yeah, it's wrong ttc whilst on benefit with no plan to come off benefits (unless the people ttc are disabled, then it's a whole different perspective in my opinion), but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's disgusting, I really wouldn't, got nothing against people who do, but it's just not me :nope:

I agree that disgusting is a harsh word too use, I don't think it is right .... but disgusting it harsh :shrug:

I have a friend that just conceived her 2nd on benefits. I think, in her mind, she feels like she'll never be able to get off them, so she didn't see any reason to wait. I certainly don't agree with it, but I guess when you're in that type of mindset things probably appear pretty different to you :shrug:

Having been in the situation myself being on benefits, no I don't think couples should ttc unless you can afford the children or you know that you have a job lined up in the future. I split up with my ex when I was pregnant with my last, I had never had to rely on benefits before and hope after Sept I never will again.

It depends. if a couple are both on benefits and are capable of working but choose not too then no its disgusting that theyd even contemplate it to be honest.

<3

I think it's wrong. People should never actively try for a child if they cannot financially support them on their own.

I think it's wrong. People should never actively try for a child if they cannot financially support them on their own.

Exactly this!

I think people puh big words round like digusting. SImply bcause everyone is strugling atm, people who work can genuinely not afford to increase thier family. So I dont see why people should be giving up 20%+ of thier hard earned wage to pay for oter people to be able to afford another child.

I know that our taxes really dont go that far. But when I see people who have never worked even though they are able, living in a big house with a garden with 3/4/5 children. I am digusted. Not with them as a person but with a goverment that has enabled them. To get a lifestyle that people who work for a moderate income can never hope to afford

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->