TTC while on benefits?

I work for the local council and i see it every day. People DEMANDING larger homes because they CHOOSE to have more kids. My council actually had to on occasions knock to homes into one to support large families (i mean 9+kids and on full benefit)

I used to think that it a couples business if they choose to ttc or not when not earning but it is actually my buisness too since i work my arse off to pay for their kids clothes and their kids games as well as their sky TV, PC's games ect...

I would love another child but me and my partner don't earn enough yet some of the benefit'ers think they can just keep popping them out as people like me are stupid enough to pay for them.

I have found my self to be in a situation were i was out of work and my main priority was to get a job to pay the bills, not to pop a baby out for cash. I have something they dont... i have PRIDE!

Oh and another thing, all these people who say they cant work make me laugh!!

I work with a lady who is nearly completely deaf yet she works on the phones in a call centre, so does a blind man (he works on the phones too). Companies support all kinds of disabilties and if im being honest, if me and a man in a wheel chair (same qualifications/experience ect) went for the same job interview, he would probably get it as companies what people to see that they are not discriminating against disabled people.

I would say in 95% of cases of sickness, people could actually work, they choose not to and hide behind their problems!

I work with a lady who is nearly completely deaf yet she works on the phones in a call centre, so does a blind man (he works on the phones too). Companies support all kinds of disabilties and if im being honest, if me and a man in a wheel chair (same qualifications/experience ect) went for the same job interview, he would probably get it as companies what people to see that they are not discriminating against disabled people.

I would say in 95% of cases of sickness, people could actually work, they choose not to and hide behind their problems!

Does that go for carers too?

I'm a full time carer for my mum along with several other people. I just get the feeling that sometimes I'm looked at as though I'm a scrounger for being UNABLE to work and ttc (even though my fiance wrks full time). Because if it wasn't for me and the other people who provide her care then she would have given up a long time ago. Sometimes there are actually people out there who would give anything to be able to go to work but personal situations prevent them from being able to do so.

This is a subject that really winds me up.

There are far too many scroungers in this country. My sister is one of them. She is 27 and has never worked a day in her life. She doesn't think she needs to. And shes had another child now (1 she gave up for adoption 12 years ago) She has played the system for a long time, and somehow gets away with it. Her boyfriend is exactly the same. Both are capable of work, yet neither want to.

My mother hasn't worked for over 28 years, because of an accident at work. She is registered disabled, but i honestly don't think it is severe enough to not work. It's just an excuse. My sister looked up to my mother as a role model and she turned out the same. I feel the poor baby she has now is also going to become a sponger when she is older! It's just a waste of a life and a slap in the face for all the hard workers that get ripped off with tax's.

I have suggested that they do voluntary work to gain experience so they can find a job as they had pretty much made themselves unemployable!
The answers i got were "I'm not working for nothing!!" Pfft! But they expect to live their lives doing sod all and getting paid for it!

You should not be allowed to have children until you can provide for them yourselves. You shouldn't depend on the poor tax payers to pay for everything.

The government should stop helping all these scumbags and start helping those that are willing to help themselves. The ones that work really hard, but still struggle through no fault of their own.

I'm a full time carer for my mum along with several other people. I just get the feeling that sometimes I'm looked at as though I'm a scrounger for being UNABLE to work and ttc (even though my fiance wrks full time). Because if it wasn't for me and the other people who provide her care then she would have given up a long time ago. Sometimes there are actually people out there who would give anything to be able to go to work but personal situations prevent them from being able to do so.

No, to me you have a state paid job if you are your mothers carer! Plus you have an income from your partner. There are still however some people like people i know who state they have depression and get their partners to claim to be their carer when there is bot all wrong with them. It's a sad world we live in for genuine people to feel like people look down on them for being a carer to a family member.

I am talking about the people who for example have "sore backs" they can work or does a bad back suddenly stop them from being able to talk on a phone?:shrug:

No, to me you have a state paid job if you are your mothers carer! Plus you have an income from your partner. There are still however some people like people i know who state they have depression and get their partners to claim to be their carer when there is bot all wrong with them. It's a sad world we live in for genuine people to feel like people look down on them for being a carer to a family member.

I am talking about the people who for example have "sore backs" they can work or does a bad back suddenly stop them from being able to talk on a phone?:shrug:

It was my fault for mis reading what you originally put, so I apologise if it seemed like I was jumping down your throat :blush:

I get a bit defensive as I have certain family members telling me to go and get a real job rather than sitting on my backside. What they don't see is the sleepless nights when Mum is having panic attacks, or having to change her bed because she hasn't got control over her bladder, or having to shower her, or help her get dressed (the list goes on and on and on) ... and I honestly wouldn't do it any other way, yeah I might only get £55 a week, but it means that mum isn't in a home (where I do honestly think she'd commit suicide) and it means that she has myself and other carers she trusts.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there, but it's a bit of a sensitive subject :shrug:

I don't understand how the benefit system works in the UK (or that well in Canada for that matter). As far as I know, the welfare system here doesn't really give you enough to live on and it definitely doesn't give you a place to live like your council houses/accommodations. Also, I think you might have to prove you are actively looking for work as well to continue to receive them, but might be wrong on that.

As far as the original question goes, the idea of people having kids while on benefits with no intention of trying to work (not counting people on disability or caring for a sick family member, etc) really pisses me off! We're likely only having the one child because it costs so much, and that makes me sad. I would really love to have a couple more children, but it's just not financially feasible for us at this point and I think it's really unfair that other people think it's acceptable to keep having kids on my taxes when I can't afford to.

If you can't be bothered to work, or feel you have an easier life on benefits then you shouldn't be TTC, also think the government should stop paying child benefits for more then 3 children, so if you want 9 kids you will only get benefits for the first 3.

I think its so sad when i see people on benefits who really couldn't care less about life, all they do is sit in front of the telly drinking or just doing nothing, when we only have one life why waste it???

I don't think people should TTC whilst on benefits if they have no intention of working. I can see the argument that it's everyone's right to have a family but I do think it is out of order to purposely live off the government. I agree that benefits should only be paid out for a maximum number of children. At the same time, I wouldn't like to think of any kids going hungry etc so it's easier to discuss than to actually do.

Having a child is a wonderful thing and part of me thinks everyone should have the right to try to achieve this but it doesn't seem fair that some families on benefits have lots of children and parents that work wouldn't even be able to afford to have the same amount.

I personally don't agree with it at all. I think it is is so very wrong to PLAN to bring a child into the world that you know you cannot personally afford or support. Very very very wrong.

I get most disgusted with families that make the headlines, living off the goverment with 11 children. There should be a limit in place of ho wmany children the government is willing to support... or even a rule that says they will given benefits for all children born at the time of going on to benefits but none concieved while on benefits or something... but then the flip side might be increased termination rates and I wouldn;t approve of that either. It is very tough

if your both not working and claiming benefits just because you cant be arsed to get out and get a job then yes that is wrong and you should not be ttc!! however i feel it is okay if you are already a sahm living off your oh's wage or have reasons why you are unable to work such as medical

nobody should be denied the right to have a family because they are on benefits.. not all people on benefits are on them because they want to be.. some have no choice through loosing jobs or medical reasons.. although id like to think that those who can look for work will!

i think it does have to be looked at upon an individual case not every family is the same... aslong as one of you are employed and contributing towards your child then fair enough ttc but if neiher are working even trhough being made redundant you have to realise that now is not the time to be ttc a child

In generlal, I don't think it's right. People can end up pregnant/on benefits without it being adeliberate choice, but to do it deliberately I think is wrong, why should other people pay for a child you choose to conceive?!

However, I know a girl who was working when ttc, but knew she would have to get benefits as soon as LO was here, she was 20 and told she was going through the menopause and could possibly never have children, so really I can't blame her for doing that, I think many would do the same. However her partner works and she now only gets like £2 a week or something.

Although, I do think people on benefits get a bad name, it's probably not that many people who are just scroungers using benefits to pay for their 15 kids.

I think it's completely wrong for those who have chosen benefits as a lifestyle choice to TTC, it makes me quite mad actually :growlmad:

I think it's disgusting.
Irresponsible and just plain selfish IMO.

Yes I think its wrong! who do they think is going to pay for their children??? I also think its very selfish in the long run, I've never been on benefits but I doubt you need to be on it to realize that they are just enough for people to live on, what about the children that will never be able to afford holidays/special treats on birthdays etc because their parents can't afford it without going into debt, don't know if anyone watched the poor kids documentary but its so sad to think that children would be into a situation where they're bullied for being poor/wearing ripped clothes and not having anything to do but playing in dangerous places and going without meals because their parents don't want to look for work :nope:

benefits are supposed to be there for people actively seeking work/while they sort out their finances, yes having children is lovely but not if you can't afford them, my husband works 8-8 most days to provide for us and to make sure we can give lo the best of everything and so that we are not taking away benefits from those that need them, if less people claimed then support systems for those that need carers/assistance would be getting it without having to wait ages or do without

i haven't read past the first few pages.

no i don't agree that if you have no intension of working and you want to live off benefits that you should be ttc. sorry but its your responsibility to provide for your child. people say its their RIGHT to have a baby.. well not if you can't support them (i'm not referring to people who can't work due to health reasons). We are very lucky to live in a country that provides so many benefits. personally i think child benefit should be paid in coupons that can only be spent on specific things eg nappies/clothing/food ect. not cash that can be spent on anything for the parents.

I know their are people out there that don't want to work and benefits make that easy for them. i also know there are people who genuinely need benefits to tie them over for a few months while they get a new job.

as for ttc. my husband and i were married 5 years before we had our son.... we waited until we were financially comfortable before ttc. to me i would have never considered doing anything else. besides what lessons are you teaching your children if you can't be bothered to work???

GGRRRRRRR anyway i feel strongly about the hold topic but i wouldn't wish to upset anyone so i'm going to stop typing now.

no you definately have a job! If you weren't caring for your mum then someone else would be employed to do so. I think you probably have one of the hardest jobs (i'm a nurse) and should be very proud of what you do. xxx

i agree that many people no benefits for medical reasons should be working!!!!! You see people with depression/bad backs/overweight ect not working BUT i guy with both legs amputated can hold down a job??? It makes no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->