Ttc with an eating disorder (recovered, mostly)

Carlinator

Cautiously expecting #2
Reaction score
Ok, this might end up long but I'll try to keep it short.

I've struggled with anorexia and bulimia on and off since I was about 10 (28 now). When I got pregnant with my daughter 9 years ago, I didn't even think I could conceive because I was so underweight. Becoming pregnant then may have saved my life. I gained 75 pounds--I had a reason to eat!--and was still within normal preg weight limits for my height.

Since giving birth I have been so much healthier, but not perfect. I am at a healthy weight and generally normal about food. I do still struggle with eating enough however, because my metabolism has started to slow...I usually just eat a normal sized dinner, maybe something for lunch. Decaf coffee with Soymilk for breakfast.

Being vegan now as well, I know I need to do better with nutrition...multivitamins alone are not going to cut it. I am just so nervous about having a healthy pregnancy and stayin healthy with food; I'm afraid that I will fall back into old habits and freak out when I gain weight...by either not eating enough, or like last pregnancy - feeling like I have a license to eat anything and everything!

I guess this is more of a rant/reaching out to others who may have had a similar issue. If anyone's been in the same boat, how did you cope with everything? I am wanting to maybe write up a sample menu plan for myself, but on the other hand I think that tends to make me focus on food more than I should. I don't know.

Hey,

Firstly - well done on taking steps into recovery! I too, had an eating disorder for couple years.. A week before I conceived #1, I was in Hosp on a drip. My son saved my life!

You've done it once before, and you say yourself you ate anything and everything so as you're aware of that, you should just be able to tell yourself not to bringe next time. Eat healthily and what the baby wants/needs but don't go overboard. I too did this with #1 as I felt I had an excuse and had to make up for the past five years. I gained a lot during pregnancy but thankfully breastfeeding helped me lose most of it!
Next time round (currently TTC #2) I will eat sensibly so I don't gain too much, or also freak out afterwards as I know it's hwrder to bounce back after 2+ pregnancies.
Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself. Be sensible <3 you got this!

I am in the same boat. I have been in recovery for 2 years after 12 years with eating disorder. I am now having to take medication to aide in pregnancy which has caused me to gain weight. I tell myself daily that it will all be worth it in the end to hold a beautiful baby. Stay strong! You can do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->