tummy time?

K

keelykat

When are you supposed to put your baby on their tummy? at what age i mean? i keep hearing about 'tummy time' when you put them on their front for a bit, but i dont know what age this is supposed to be done, id be scared of him not lifting his head and not being able to breathe!

keely.

i'd start now, i think summer was having tummy time at that age anyway, just get down on the floor next to him or something, so you know he is breathing!

I didnt do this till he was about 3 months but its upto you when you feel they are ready to lie down and play etc and when obviously they can lift there heads up i think as your son has only just turned 1 month old its far too young but its totally upto you like i said about holding there head up etc but i think health visitors etc recomend about 4 months

I found this for you, its about tummy time for newborns:

"When should you start?
The sooner the better! Here's how to enjoy tummy time with a newborn:

Start small – aim for a few minutes at a time, several times a day.
Lay your baby – tummy down – across your lap instead of holding her upright on your shoulder.
Enjoy some 'together time' – lie down and place your baby tummy-to-chest.
When carrying your baby, carry her tummy down instead of upright."

What next?
At around three weeks, your baby begins to recognise faces and voices. This is the perfect time to incorporate more tummy time into her day.

Place your baby on her tummy and get down on the floor with her. She'll love looking at your face.
When your baby is on her tummy, talk or sing to her.
Change your position to encourage head movement. Position yourself in front of your baby to encourage head lifting, and to the sides to encourage head turning.
Scatter toys near her to look at and reach for.
Play 'airplane'. Fly her around the room, tummy down.

Lola-Rose loves being on her tummy.

She sometimes even sleeps on it and I put her on it for a few minutes a day already.
Also she naps on it,on me.

Thank you- so by the sounds of it i should start doing it now, but bit at a time?

i started maddi quite early, a few weeks, putting her on her tummy on me and on her play mat. she's getting to like it more and more now, its taken her a while :dohh: but all babies are different, you can give it a go and see what he thinks. maddi got tired after it when she was younger though :hugs:

Thank you- so by the sounds of it i should start doing it now, but bit at a time?

yep, i would do it gradually and see how he gets on, good luck sweetie, let us no what he makes of it :hugs:

Charlie hates beeing on his tummy so i dont do very much :S

They say six weeks for 15 minutes a day but we started earlier :D

I started very early with Caeden. Infact he hates being on his back, always has done. He would never even sleep on his back or side. From around 3 months old when i stopped swaddling him, he was sleeping on his tummy which was very worrying but he was ok and now a yr later he will still only sleep on his front lol

I would start now with your LO, for short times to begin with :)

xx

oh no now im worryed :s why do they have to go on there tummy he crys if its longer than 2 mins!!

oh no now im worryed :s why do they have to go on there tummy he crys if its longer than 2 mins!!

Hes probably just not ready to have tummy time yet some babies cry when on their tummys it can take until they are about 4 months before they begin to enjoy

Do it straight away! when your baby is born, their centre of gravity is in their head and only through tummy time does this gradually lower down to their butts. Without tummy time, baby will never learn to crawl, will never develop a strong neck and my physio says since they abolished the "front to play" part of "back to sleep, front to play" she has seen an alarming increase of babies who wont crawl or even worse, are scooting on their butts using their heads to pull them along! Imagine the damage that does to the spine!

I make sure i put tom on his tummy whenever he isnt sleeping or just eaten.

Do it straight away! when your baby is born, their centre of gravity is in their head and only through tummy time does this gradually lower down to their butts. Without tummy time, baby will never learn to crawl, will never develop a strong neck and my physio says since they abolished the "front to play" part of "back to sleep, front to play" she has seen an alarming increase of babies who wont crawl or even worse, are scooting on their butts using their heads to pull them along! Imagine the damage that does to the spine!

I make sure i put tom on his tummy whenever he isnt sleeping or just eaten.

Dont worry-im going to try it today :) I have been lying back, and have him lie on my chest- he lifts his head a lot now and tries to look around. Im quite looking forward to our 'play time' today, hes started looking up at his toys on the play mat a bit more (but seems to be quite distracted by the tv so that has to go off lol!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->