Tv in baby nursery?

Blue12

icsi miracle xo
Reaction score
Is anyone else planning on putting a tv in the baby nursery?

A friend of mine put a tv in her nursery to help during the late nights (it sits directly across from the rocker/glider).

Now my dh wants to put a tv in our baby nursery, but he wants a 50" tv in the room. It is a very large room, but I don't know how I feel about it.

Is anyone else planning on putting a tv in the baby nursery?

Nope, not something I'd ever consider either. During nightfeeds you don't want any stimulation for baby, that includes speaking to them and them hearing the TV.

Really it's up to you but ideally, for nightfeeds, you want low light and no stimulation for baby xxx

I would say no too, not really because of any problems when your baby is little (I'm scarily clueless when it comes to that!). I do parenting work and always advise parents to remove TVs from their children's rooms - nearly always it works.
When children get older TV in their rooms usually leads to disaster, late nights, sleep refusal etc. Especially a big TV because the light replicates daylight and makes children more able to stay awake - I would imagine that would be the same for babies as toddlers. It will also probably wake you up I would imagine, making it harder for you to get back to sleep once feed time is over. I haven't done the nursing etc myself yet, but I would think that remaining as sleepy as possible is for the best (others feel free to tell me I'm wrong). :)

I can understand the idea behind putting a tv in there as it can get boring, but personally i wouldnt as once the baby is a little older they are constantly distracted while feeding. The slightest noise or someone walking by and my babies all turned ther heads!! Very ouchy wth a nipple in their mouth!

If you do i would defo NOT recommend a 50ins, that wld be mad and so bright at night when you want it as quiet and dark as poss

i got a pack in the post today from hipp about forming and maintaining good sleeping patterns and establishing a good routine and it suggested not having a tv in the babys room as it over stimulates the baby
the light from the tv also confuses the baby it wont know difference between night and day if the tv is left on all night, it even suggests moving the baby into a quiet room for the last feed of the night so it is not over stimulated by light and noise to make the baby sleep better and not to have tv on when the baby wakes up in the night for feeds

i think i will be a much happier mum not having the tv and i want to make sure i have a good sleeping pattern for the baby, its important to me that i get a routine settled in the first few weeks making the baby happier and me hopefully less tired and more organised

i got a pack in the post today from hipp about forming and maintaining good sleeping patterns and establishing a good routine and it suggested not having a tv in the babys room as it over stimulates the baby
the light from the tv also confuses the baby it wont know difference between night and day if the tv is left on all night, it even suggests moving the baby into a quiet room for the last feed of the night so it is not over stimulated by light and noise to make the baby sleep better and not to have tv on when the baby wakes up in the night for feeds

i think i will be a much happier mum not having the tv and i want to make sure i have a good sleeping pattern for the baby, its important to me that i get a routine settled in the first few weeks making the baby happier and me hopefully less tired and more organised

This is so true. My son was a fussy sleeper at nights but had no problems getting to sleep. And now he's 3, no TV in the room (and will not get one either) and will sleep from 7pm - 7am. Always had a great routine.

My personal opinion is that there is no need at all for a young child to have a TV in their room. If a child has a good routine from the beginning there is no need for a TV. xxx

I can understand the idea behind putting a tv in there as it can get boring, but personally i wouldnt as once the baby is a little older they are constantly distracted while feeding. The slightest noise or someone walking by and my babies all turned ther heads!! Very ouchy wth a nipple in their mouth!

If you do i would defo NOT recommend a 50ins, that wld be mad and so bright at night when you want it as quiet and dark as poss

Stephen's the same... as soon as he hears a particular advert or TV programme come on he doesn't care about feeding/doing whatever he was doing! So I'd say no to a TV at night - it's hard enough getting a baby to sleep without any noise/distractions let alone with a TV in there too!

Plus you'll be so tired will you really have any time/energy to sit there and watch it?

wont be a tv in the same room as my child until they are about 16. i lost all interest in books entirely as soon as i got a tv in my room at 14 (was a very avid reader until then). also you cant be sure what they are watching at all hours of the night. i found some very strong stuff on tv in the early hours before.

from my experience the late night very early morning feeds are the first ones that baby gives up

my son was sleeping in his own room from 4 months and during the night would only have a bottle at 10pm and it would be gone within 5 mins.

when i was breastfeeding and he was in the same room as us i would literally pick him up, breast, burp back in bed, i wouldnt switch on the lights, i would barely get out of bed just lean over get him, sit back, 10 mins later back in bed. no need to wake baby up too much and certainly not me! i would be back asleep before head hit the pillow.

for that reason i would not have a tv in the room and i wouldnt mind saying that i dont think you would need one either, i may have been lucky in that my son drank fairly quickly and burped quickly but i think had i overstimulated him during that time i would have had a baby not wanting to sleep and then the issue of a tired baby the next morning

xkx

personally when i was a kid i was considered incredibly lucky to have a telly in my room at age11 and it didnt have a way of watching videos or dvds or playing games on it. my kids are going to be the ones that go but even my friends 4 year old brother has a tv in his room. muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum your so unfair lol

No. I wouldn't consider having a tv in baby's bedroom for maaaany years :lol:

Baby will be in with us for 6mths+ so there's no need plus I think the television would maybe just stimulate them at night so you can't get them back to sleep as quick after a late feed? X

I know I never ever had a tv in my room, but dh always had a tv in his room... hence the debat we are having lol.

Thanks for everyone's input. :hugs:

I've never heard of this before!

Would definitely not recommend though, as others have said you want peace and darkness during the night to remind them it's night time. In my experience there are only a couple of weeks that night feeds take more than 5 mins anyway.

I wouldn't put a TV in the nursery, but littlen is going to be sleeping in our room for a while, and there will be a on in our room at night time :)
Since childhood I myself haven't been able to get to sleep without some kind of light/noise, so I always go to bed with the TV on...I don't think there's anything wrong with this, I put a timer on the TV so it goes off when I'm asleep, and I don't think it'll be a problem for littlen as she will get used to the noise/low light from the tv.. each to their own imo xx

i dont have a tv that big anywhere in my house let alone a nursery!

i have a tv in my own room which will help with the night feeds but im hoping by the time hes in his own room i wont be doing night feeds, but if i am i will take baby to a different room if i felt i needed to watch tv while feeding.

my sons almost 3 and doesnt have a tv in his room so a baby wouldnt either

We have a TV in our bedroom, which is where LO will be sleeping for the first 6 months approx. I plan to do nightfeeds either in the bedroom or in the front room, which also has a TV. xx

I would have to say no on this one. I think babeis have to train (maybe not a good word) how to do everything include sleep habits. I think getting my daughter used to sleeping in a quiet room with minimal stimuli has helped so much as she sleeps through the night and pretty much has since about 8 weeks. Even when she was still waking up every few hours for feeds we would do it in the dark or with a night light and both of us could get back to sleep very easily:) We do have a cd player/radio in her room and when we are getting ready for bed play classical msuic really softly in the background and she seems to love that. But the birght lights of telly which she absolutely loves during the day would definitetly keep her up

I personally wouldn't put a TV in the nursery, mainly because of the reason already mentioned, babies need dark quiet rooms to establish night time.

When feeding DS, I use to sit in his room with a night light on. On the odd occasion that he wouldn't go back to sleep (after trying for an hour) I would go into the living room & put TV on low & lay on the sofa with him until he dropped off.

He's now 2 & doesnt have a TV in his room. Hes bad enough during the day with In The Night Garden & Waybuloo!

Nope, not for us. Just as the other girls said really. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->