• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

My HV was meant to be coming doing weaning but hasnt been yet, i've been giving a olivia powdered cereal with breast milk at dinner/ afternoon , followed by a little fruit/veg puree

when should i add another meal, we never have any waste atm, also when can i introduce finger foods ?

also are there any baby biscuits she can chew, or piece of fruit or veg i can give her that wont break any bits off ? i am frightened of her choking

You could buy your LO something like this https://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=37 to put fruit in for a bit.

I did get mine from ASDA but not sure if they still sell them there or not but they are really good to use. :flower:

Or bickiepegs? they're like really hard baby biscuits that they cant bite through, Luke has them to knaw on!

Has anyone introduced more meals/proteins at night by 6 months, because I am having a hard time keeping up with baby's appetitite! He's 21lbs almost, he's 23 weeks, and he is draining at least five 8oz bottles during the day, and up to 20oz overnight!!!! He's never been a good sleeper so it's not a matter of wanting him to sleep at night (although I'd be happy with 2 or 3 night wakings, lol), but I think he's just too freakin' hungry

Sorry I'm not from the UK, we don't have hungry baby type milk :( He's on Enfamil Soy

Has anyone introduced more meals/proteins at night by 6 months, because I am having a hard time keeping up with baby's appetitite! He's 21lbs almost, he's 23 weeks, and he is draining at least five 8oz bottles during the day, and up to 20oz overnight!!!! He's never been a good sleeper so it's not a matter of wanting him to sleep at night (although I'd be happy with 2 or 3 night wakings, lol), but I think he's just too freakin' hungry

Bananas & cereals (with oat & wheat) are really filling esp before bedtime. Sandiwches with speads r also filling. Omar is not a big eater or drinker, but he went through phases of waking up hungry during the night. A banana 30-60 mins before bedtime bottle always worked for us.

Bananas & cereals (with oat & wheat) are really filling esp before bedtime. Sandiwches with speads r also filling. Omar is not a big eater or drinker, but he went through phases of waking up hungry during the night. A banana 30-60 mins before bedtime bottle always worked for us.

Glad I caught you before bedtime (it's 5:30pm here in Vancouver, yay for timezones)! Giving him a bit of banana tonight. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on how I am weaning my daughter.

She is 22 weeks now and weighs 18lb 11 - she is a very long girl. She has 4 bottles of 8oz each day (7:30, 11:00, 15:00, 19:00) and she sleeps through the night.

I have started weaning her this week as she has been showing a lot of interest in food and has been crying for more milk at the end of each bottle. I went to weaning workshop on Monday where she tried some carrot and parsnip purée and loved it!

I started the week off by giving her a couple of spoons of baby rice 30 mins after her morning bottle. She wasn't too keen. I then moved her 'meal' to 17:30 ish so that my husband could be there to see her trying new foods. She now has carrot purée mixed in with some baby rice (1 tsp of baby rice made up with milk and 2 cubes of purée). She loves it and I am sure she would have more. Since giving her that food she seems a lot more settled and happy in the evenings before we give her her bath.

Today we gave her some fruity porride 30 mins after her morning bottle (2 tsp of porridge made up with water) and she had all of it again! I am worried that she is now having a bit too much to eat!!

Does it sounds like I am doing things right? Should I lower the amount of milk she has in her bottles to maybe 8oz in her first bottle and then 6-7oz in the other three bottles? I feel so bamboozled with the whole idea of weaning and do not want to make my daughter obese!!

Thanks in advance for all of your advice x

Hi bexeter. you'r doing great. At this stage keep giving her her regular milk feeds, she shouldn't drop he milk feeds before she's 6+ months as formula has more nutrients than solids. Wait for 1-2 weeks then you can start introducing another solid meal. Once she's 6+ months & already on 3 solids she can start dropping her milk feeds. At 6+ she needs around 18-21 oz with her 3 solids but if she takes more, it's ok. At 9+ she only needs around 20 oz & at 1+ she needs 16 oz. Good luck & enjoy weaning xx

Hi bexeter. you'r doing great. At this stage keep giving her her regular milk feeds, she shouldn't drop he milk feeds before she's 6+ months as formula has more nutrients than solids. Wait for 1-2 weeks then you can start introducing another solid meal. Once she's 6+ months & already on 3 solids she can start dropping her milk feeds. At 6+ she needs around 18-21 oz with her 3 solids but if she takes more, it's ok. At 9+ she only needs around 20 oz & at 1+ she needs 16 oz. Good luck & enjoy weaning xx

Thanks so much for the advice - glad to hear we are doing ok with it. She had some fruity porridge for breakfast and just had 3 cubes of carrot purée for dinner which she loved! She is now happily playing on her play mat and will have her bath at 18:40 ish then last bottle at 19:00 and then BED. X factor and wine is calling me! x

Hello all

I've posted this somewhere else, but realised this thread after & thought I'd ask for some expert advice!! My son's 6 months next week & we started weaning 2 wks ago, gradually trying new flavours. My problem is that he's started to drop his milk. He was on approx 7oz at each feed, (approx 4-5 a day), but now seems to only want 4oz at each feed & so far today has only had 4oz at 8am, followed by rusk mixed with some of his milk (approx 1-2oz), he didn't finish all of that. Then 12 another 4oz. 3pm portion of sweet potato & brocolli then 4oz milk & we're going to give him his bed time bottle soon, (who knows what he'll take then)?? I find it all so confusing!! He did have his vaccinations on Weds & is sprouting a 2nd tooth, so not sure if these could be the reasons for his lack of interest in milk?? Otherwise, he's happy. He weighs 17lb 6oz now, seems to be following the correct centile?? I'm just getting quite stressed about his milk as I know he shouldn't be dropping it yet. He also doesn't sleep straight through yet & can wake anywhere between 12 & 6, usually for a feed?? HELP!!

Thank you
Jayne

Hey, it doesn't sound like you are offering him too much in solids to make him drop his feeds as you say, it may just be his teething that is affecting his milk feeds. If it continues it may be best to give your HV a call just to see if they can suggest anything different but I hope his milk appetite has increased again :flower: Also, don't worry that he isn't sleeping through, my LO was between 7-8 months before she slept through :flower:

Hi everyone
Only just food this thread and don't have time before shopping to read through all the posts!
When I saw the health visitor the other day she said because Liam is now 6 months and has been on solids for a while due to reflux, he should start eating dinners that we eat (just pureed up).
That's all good and well but to be honest, we eat alot of convenience food (spag bol, chilli, curry sauce jars, pasta bake etc) and I know that they aren't the best thing for us to be eating but a) I think they taste nicer than the rubbish food I make (not very good at cooking lol) and b) they're much easier and quicker than making your own, especially as I'm going back to work next week.

Now I know that Liam can't eat these foods (I looked on the back of a few jars and the salt content is so high! and I know fresh is better) so I'm just wondering what you would do in this situation? Do you all just make up proper meals for baby and then freeze them? (Eg a whole cottage pie from scratch, pureed then frozen?) It sounds daft but even if I made my own cottage pie I wouldn't eat it myself as I just don't think it's as tasty lol.

OR are jars actually that bad and should i avoid them like the plague? MIL keeps saying 'don't give him jars you don't know what's in them and they're full of salt' Says the woman who gave her babies mashed potato and normal gravy whilst weaning lol.
When I've looked on the back of some of the jars, they say no salt, no preservatives etc etc (apparently the jars and contents are heated so they stay sterile or something?)
so I can't see why they're so bad.. But I'm not giving them to him until I know for sure.

Sorry to rant on so much but this is really starting to worry me! I want to do the best for Liam but I'm just struggling to know what to do and it's giving me a headache trying to find baby friendly recipes and then figuring out when I can spend a day making them all up...

*Sigh* it was all so easy when he just had chicken, veg and potato!

Thanks

Hi lynsayp. I cook from scratch but I always make sure to cook easy healthy food. There is nothing wrong with spag bol or any kind of pasta. You can make your own yummy sauce which would take 20 mins. U can always cook during I have a 30 mins rule when it comes to cooking: If it takes more than 30 mins to prepare, it doesnt worth the effort :haha:

Scrambled eggs or omlettes are good & easy to prepare, chicken bakes with veggies , garlic & herbs, etc. If you like I can PM you few easy nutritious recipes. As for baby jars, they'r ok but I dont think they'r soo tasty. Mine wasnt keen on them. Some have good balance with no salt or sugar added like organix & Ella's kitchen. HTH xx

Hi lynsayp. I cook from scratch but I always make sure to cook easy healthy food. There is nothing wrong with spag bol or any kind of pasta. You can make your own yummy sauce which would take 20 mins. U can always cook during I have a 30 mins rule when it comes to cooking: If it takes more than 30 mins to prepare, it doesnt worth the effort :haha:

Scrambled eggs or omlettes are good & easy to prepare, chicken bakes with veggies , garlic & herbs, etc. If you like I can PM you few easy nutritious recipes. As for baby jars, they'r ok but I dont think they'r soo tasty. Mine wasnt keen on them. Some have good balance with no salt or sugar added like organix & Ella's kitchen. HTH xx

Yes please could you send me a few recipes? I would be really grateful. i have no imagination when it comes to cooking! I'm lucky that Liam will eat pretty much anything so when he's had the odd jar he's still eaten it! The only thing I can't get down him is banana lol.

Thanks for the reply
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"