TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Well i took my little one to the HV at 26 weeks, and she basically told me to go for it with weaning as Sydney had not gained any weight and is just about 6 months. Told me not to worry about baby rice etc, avoid the honey, eggs, nuts etc.

Sydney has just been weaned off the breast to bottle and feeds at:

7am
11am
2pm
6pm then bed for 7pm all 7oz bottles.

My questions is i'm giving her some baby porriage / fruit at 8am ish. What time shall i give her lunch? And do you progress to 3 meals quite quickly? What time should she then have tea? Sydney is really interested in food and grabbing at our plates at every meal. Offering her bits of pureed veg here and there which she loves and screams for more, but don't want to do it all wrong?

p.s really wanted to try BLW but terrified she'll choke! Thought i'd be laid back but i'm not

Thanks in advance. x

What time does she usually nap at? Cause i usually give Ciara lunch shortly after her morning nap, but she usually goes down for her nap around 11:00 and will sleep for acouple hours and then i will give her lunch.

I started giving her 3 meals a day around 6 months, which was good cause she started napping very well, but there were some days were she wouldnt' have lunch

Hi,
Usually has 30 minutes around 9.30 then if i'm lucky she'll go down for 2 hours at 12 ish. Glad you said that about 3 meals a day at 6 months. I think i'm scarred that i'm rushing her, although she eats everything i give her and tells me when shes had enough x

ya i would say after her morning nap, i would offer her a bottle and then shortly after that i would give her lunch.

DD has been having bought foods for breakfast and tea for about 5-6 weeks now and tonight I plucked up the courage to give her the same as we were having (roast dinner) mushed with a hand blender.... she seemed to like the flavour but didn't have as much as she normally would.
I don't know if I did it wrong... are you meant to add water/milk while blending so it's runnier?
Please help... would like to give her more homemade stuff instead of just jars but am worried coz I don't really know what I am doing!!!!

DD has been having bought foods for breakfast and tea for about 5-6 weeks now and tonight I plucked up the courage to give her the same as we were having (roast dinner) mushed with a hand blender.... she seemed to like the flavour but didn't have as much as she normally would.
I don't know if I did it wrong... are you meant to add water/milk while blending so it's runnier?
Please help... would like to give her more homemade stuff instead of just jars but am worried coz I don't really know what I am doing!!!!

Heinz do baby stock cubes you could use to make it a bit more moist and some baby receipe books also sometimes tell you how to make up gravy but if you steamed or boiled any veg you could use a little of that water and pop it in the blender to moisten it up a bit more and as a bonus it was have some of the veg nutrients in it too :flower:

i have nicole on jars atm and baby porridge, shes been fine up to xmas eve and now seems to be off all food expcept her bottles. she is teething badly again (been on and off for the past few weeks and nothing yet) so im wondering if its that. she has upped her bottles instead so im not worried. she is however taking bits of food in her hand, gave her some ham and some steamed carrot and broccoli and she loved them. im just wondering if its just her teeth and the feeling of the spoon is annoying her.

So long as she is still taking her milk thats good, it prob is teething or possible a growth spurt if she has upped her milk. My LO sometimes eats fine and others I barely feel like she has eaten so your LO may be taking it easy for a few days. Just keep offering her bits as you are but don't be too worried if she is having all her milk, her apetite should pick up again. :flower:

thanks :flower: yesterday she had porridge for breakfast and a full jar of puree for dinner plus 46oz. this morning she had 8oz at 7am, porridge at 9am followed by 6oz and just had another 5oz. she has some appetite lol. i have noticed in the last 2 days she will scoff the porridge but only if its lumpy, fussy little thing. she luvs having food in her hand though, im wondering is she too young for blw

It may be something to ask in the BLW support thread, my LO didn't start weaning until 6.5 months, she just wasn't interested in food until then so i'm not sure how early BLW can start. It certainly sounds like she has a good appetite, cute she is into lumps! :flower:

Hope you don't mind me joining in here. We're a couple of weeks into weaning right now and I have a few questions for you ladies. Right now I've been giving him a couple of spoonfuls of puree a couple of times a day, usually just before 2nd bottle around noon and his 4th around 4-5 pm. He drinks between 5-6 oz's each bottle should he be having more puree than a few spoonfuls? Or is this ok for only being a couple weeks into weaning?

Can anyone help me?

I've been weaning Amelia sine she was 4.5 months old. Currently she's on 2 meals a day with 4 bottles, I was thinking of introducing lunch soon but have no idea what to give her for it, she usually has half a jar of food for her dinner in the evening. Also is follow-on milk worth it or should I stick with Stage 1 milk?

Can anyone help me?

I've been weaning Amelia sine she was 4.5 months old. Currently she's on 2 meals a day with 4 bottles, I was thinking of introducing lunch soon but have no idea what to give her for it, she usually has half a jar of food for her dinner in the evening. Also is follow-on milk worth it or should I stick with Stage 1 milk?

Ive been weaning my LO since 5 months and he has

Breakfast - milk followed by Aptimal porridge
Mid morn - milk
Lunch at 12pm - fruit puree, then milk around 1ish, depending when he fed last
Mid after - milk
Dinner - veg puree
Evening - dreamfeed - milk
Any time between 1am - 5am milk

Can anyone help me?

I'd suggest introducing more adult food as she's already 6+. She's ready for more lumpy food. Some finger food like soft fruits & veggies are good for a start, scrambled eggs, a small sandwich, plain yoghurt mixed with some fruit puree. The earlier you start introducing some finger food & lumps, the easier she will get used to it's texture & start chewing food.

As for follow on if she's taking her milk with no problems & taking the min of 18-21 oz with 3 solid meals, there is no need to switch. But if she drops her milk feeds & takes less than the min, follow on is a good alternative as it has more vitamins & iron & some LOs (like mine) prefers the taste of follow on. HTH

Can anyone help me?

I'd suggest introducing more adult food as she's already 6+. She's ready for more lumpy food. Some finger food like soft fruits & veggies are good for a start, scrambled eggs, a small sandwich, plain yoghurt mixed with some fruit puree. The earlier you start introducing some finger food & lumps, the easier she will get used to it's texture & start chewing food.

As for follow on if she's taking her milk with no problems & taking the min of 18-21 oz with 3 solid meals, there is no need to switch. But if she drops her milk feeds & takes less than the min, follow on is a good alternative as it has more vitamins & iron & some LOs (like mine) prefers the taste of follow on. HTH

Wow - ive just worked out that my LO is having an average of 36oz a day!!!!! Plus 3 small meals a day

Can anyone help me?

Wow - ive just worked out that my LO is having an average of 36oz a day!!!!! Plus 3 small meals a day

That's fine hun, he's still not fully weaned as he's only eating puree veggies & fruits. Once he starts eating more varieties & reall food (bread, pasta, rice, meat, etc), he will start dropping milk feeds. 18-21 oz is the minimum at 6+ (with 3 proper meals not only puree) up until your LO is 9+. At 9+ the max is 20 oz. HTH

Hi,
I am so glad i found this thread, i could really do with your help/advice. My lo turned 4 months yesterday. Have been adamant that i wouldn't wean before 6 months and then would do blw. Well as all us mums know, things dont always go to plan! lol. My son was making all signs that he was ready so after the news on breastfeeding yesterday, i thought, i'll try some baby rice and see what he does....he loved it and ate the whole lot (bout 6 spoons) then came to me for a bf. I really wasn't expecting him to enjoy it or want it as much as he did so am really unprepared!! Today i gave him some rice and a bit of mashed banana. Loved it again and fed from me afterwards. This evening i made the rice and he ate it all, looked at me as if to say where's the rest! lol so i made another lot up (1 teaspoon of rice flake mixed with EBM until smooth and runny) he ate all that fairly quickly too. Then again, he fed from me for bout 45 mins. Am i doin it right cos i am reading that i should give him rice after his milk. As he is BF he usually keeps going until he's had enough. How would i give him the rice if he was full on milk from me or do i give it half an hour or something later? Also how do you know if your giving too much? The way he was this eve i think he would have kept goin if i had made more rice. How long do i give rice for, how many times a day? He's a big boy 16.8lb at 17 weeks. How do you go about pureeing food and whats best to start with or do i just stick to rice. How do you freeze it? I have been told about putting things in ice cube trays but (sorry to sound thick) do you just put it in the ice cube tray and stick it in the freezer?
Really wish i had looked into this more, just assumed i would do BLW at 6 months. Now i am in a situation wher i know he is enjoying the rice so wanna start with TW now but really dont have the foggiest idea what i'm doing!!
All suggestions welcome and i am a bit thick sometimes so try keep it simple for me!! lol
Thanks in advance xxx

HI mummy2jack. If he's not full with the amount of rice, top up with a breast feed. He needs him milk more than solids at this age. You can start introducing some veggies puree like butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes etc. U can mix it with baby rice at 1st then reduce the amount of rice until he's eating veggies only. Start by introducing one veggie, wait 2-3 days before introducing something new. Once he starts eating more veggies, you can start mixing them together, & then intoduce fruits. Just make sure he's not dropping milk feeds before 6+ months. Stick to 1-2 meals for 2-3 weeks before introducing a 3rd solid. I dont know much about preparing puree & freezing them as we weaned at 6.5 months & Omar wasnt keen on puree so we went directly to fork mashing from what we'r eating. Good luck hun. xx

good morning nmwb. Thanks for your reply. I am swapping round this morning, he has just had a breast feed bout 20 mins ago so i am gonna try him on some rice shortly. Is mashing better than pureeing then? Like i said i always thought i would do baby led so didn't think i would be pureeing anything, but am not sure with him only being 4 months not 6. Is it unsafe to start with finger foods just now? He can sit up with very well with little support and the strength he has in his neck is amazing. Dont really wanna go thru puree, then mash, then lumps and so on..... hope i'm making sense! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->