TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Hi ladies! Quick question someone can hopefully help me with!
I've been giving my baby some porridge in the morning for the last couple of days.
This morning I made 1 ounce of milk and put in the porridge to make a nice consistency. She had a breastfeed at 7.30 and porridge at 8.45!
She ate it all! Is this too much for her? I think she would even have more if I made it her. The first two days she was adamant in telling me when she had enough and turned away/closed her mouth.

I never put the spoon in her mouth. I hold it in front of her and she moves herself to take the porrige of the spoon.

Am I giving her too much, or does it sound okay to you?

Hi ladies, so this is my 1st request for a bit of advice if anyone is able please!

So i have been weaning for 2 weeks very slowly starting with baby rice/porridge and then since a bit of pear, sweet potato and today carrot. I feed about an hour after 1st bottle as this is a happy relaxed time for him.
He is doing ok as in learing to take from a spoon, and seems to be moving it around his mouth and then swallowing but he doesnt particually seem that interested and certainly not what i would say "enjoying it"
I keep reading threads about babies just started weaning and who are loving it and cant get enough, well Harrison just isnt like that at all and im a little concerned im doing it wrong.
Hes a big boy and enjoys his milk feeds but i really want him to enjoy food too!
I think he has more of a sweet tooth as the pear seemed to be his favourite so far but im concentrating on veg at the mo as i want him to get used to it.
Any advice will be welcomed, thanks very much xx

I've been giving my baby some porridge in the morning for the last couple of days.
This morning I made 1 ounce of milk and put in the porridge to make a nice consistency. She had a breastfeed at 7.30 and porridge at 8.45!
She ate it all! Is this too much for her? I think she would even have more if I made it her. The first two days she was adamant in telling me when she had enough and turned away/closed her mouth.

I never put the spoon in her mouth. I hold it in front of her and she moves herself to take the porrige of the spoon.

Hey Lauki, I think it should be fine - 1oz with the porridge doesn't sound too much, and at that age it's farely difficult to over feed a baby as if she didn't want it / wasn't hungry then she simply wouldn't. You are right to set a portion and stop at that, just keep an eye on it, if she keeps in the same pattern then maybe you could up it, but as us adults, sometimes you get more hungry days than others!

The main thing is so long as it doesn't affect her milk intake too much as this is her main source of nutruents and vitamins right now :flower:

Hi ladies, so this is my 1st request for a bit of advice if anyone is able please!

So i have been weaning for 2 weeks very slowly starting with baby rice/porridge and then since a bit of pear, sweet potato and today carrot. I feed about an hour after 1st bottle as this is a happy relaxed time for him.
He is doing ok as in learing to take from a spoon, and seems to be moving it around his mouth and then swallowing but he doesnt particually seem that interested and certainly not what i would say "enjoying it"
I keep reading threads about babies just started weaning and who are loving it and cant get enough, well Harrison just isnt like that at all and im a little concerned im doing it wrong.
Hes a big boy and enjoys his milk feeds but i really want him to enjoy food too!
I think he has more of a sweet tooth as the pear seemed to be his favourite so far but im concentrating on veg at the mo as i want him to get used to it.

Don't worry too much, its still very early weaning days for you and the main aim when you start is more for your LO to explore food, the texture, taste, smells etc and have fun with food rather than eating for a purpose (as the milk supplies this purpose). He sounds to be consistently trying which sounds good, he sounds happy enough and I guess he is just taking his time experimenting but it's nothing to worry about :flower:

Hey Lauki, I think it should be fine - 1oz with the porridge doesn't sound too much, and at that age it's farely difficult to over feed a baby as if she didn't want it / wasn't hungry then she simply wouldn't. You are right to set a portion and stop at that, just keep an eye on it, if she keeps in the same pattern then maybe you could up it, but as us adults, sometimes you get more hungry days than others!

The main thing is so long as it doesn't affect her milk intake too much as this is her main source of nutruents and vitamins right now :flower:

Thank you! She's completely off her milk today, but I think she's teething. She's not had any solids either apart from a little bit of pear puree to try and get at least something in her body! Let's hope she does better tonight!

Don't worry too much, its still very early weaning days for you and the main aim when you start is more for your LO to explore food, the texture, taste, smells etc and have fun with food rather than eating for a purpose (as the milk supplies this purpose). He sounds to be consistently trying which sounds good, he sounds happy enough and I guess he is just taking his time experimenting but it's nothing to worry about :flower:

Thankyou! Over the last couple of days hes really appeared to enjoy it a lot more so thats great. Trying brocolli today though! :dohh:

Hi ladies, love this thread!
Noah is 20 weeks old and a big boy bless him, he loves his milk, we gave him his first taste of food on Xmas day, some cow & gate creamy porridge, he has had it boxing day as well, he opens his mouth for the first spoonful and then clamps it shut, he has maybe 3 baby spoons but isn't bothered!

My question is, should I keep trying the porridge or try something else like a fruit purree?? Thanks girls :flower:

Glad I found this post as I feel totally criticized for daring to NOT BLW on some of the other boards! I started with Freya yesterday - a couple of spoons of pear which she loved. Today she's wolfed down 2 spoonfuls of sweet potato, parsnip and carrot. Have just put 4 little portions of butternut squash in the freezer to try in a few days. Have to take it slowly with Freya as her Dad has serious food allergies, and she has spina bifida which puts her at more risk of constipation. x

Hope Freya loves it!

I thought that people on here would find me silly too for doing TW, but then I decided it's about what works best for my girlie. She likes some fingerfoods, like bananas, she munches them whole. But for dinner, she really doesn't enjoy eating BLW style much as she gets frustrated and she loves her purees.

Do what works for you! And especially what works for your baby!!

Enjoy weaning :hugs:.

I love traditional weaning! I love feeding my baby and especially one of the purees ive lovingly created for him lol! Hes really made progress and its great to see, im loving thinking up new things for him to try, maybe im just sad! lol People are always gonna have opinions whether the same or different to yours but you know your baby and what works for them so if they are happy and healthy who can argue with that! xx

Twilighter, having been in your postion only a matter of weeks ago, i would try adding a fruit puree to the porridge maybe apple or pear to start with, this is what we do with our LO, he has porridge or baby rice mixed with a fruit puree for his breakfast and he loves it. Or you could try the puree on its own. Or a vegetable puree! All i would say is take it slow and to start with add one fruit/veg at a time for 2-3 times in a row to give him time to get used to the taste x

Hi all. I'm planning to start weaning my daughter in the next few weeks..she's nearly 23 weeks old now..As a first time mummy i have no idea where to start..it's seems so confusing..lol. I ideally want to make some homemade food up to freeze for her..Can anyone give me some ideas on what to start her with & when. Thanks.x

OK, so after a week of Freya deciding not to be spoon fed, and me thinking I was going to have to go down the BLW route, she devoured MY yoghurt yesterday, and since then had gobbled up anything I've given her off a spoon! Little minx!

She'd got quite good with the finger food thou, and had begun to chew and swallow. So I've decided to do TW with a lot of finger food - ie spoon feed cereal at some brekkie's, toast finger foods at others, finger foods for lunch with ie yoghurt (spoon fed) and some veg sticks and purees or meat "strips" with veg puree for tea. I figure this way I can get rid of the stack of purees in the freezer, but she won't lose the chewing skills she's gained.

Today she's had
B - spoon fed cereal, sucked on a piece of melon
L - rice cake with cream cheese and a cucumber baton, spoon fed pear puree
T (will be) brocolli florets (finger food) with brocolli, sweet potato and carrot puree, mashed banana.

What do you reckon? Too ambitious or OK? x

not read through everything so sorry if repeated! What do you do about going back to work? She will be 8 months so will she be able to drop milk feeds? Obviously baby sitter can feed her puree still but cant express daily as only have just enough! X

not read through everything so sorry if repeated! What do you do about going back to work? She will be 8 months so will she be able to drop milk feeds? Obviously baby sitter can feed her puree still but cant express daily as only have just enough! X

She will still need milk feeds up to a year old at least. I formula fed and switched to cows milk at one year but know of BF's who have fed longer than a year. Nutritionally though, 8 months is a little early to be fully dropping all feeds. Can you not express once your back at work? They should provide facilities for you to do so and store your milk if its requested. Has anyone suggested on a BF thread what they have done when going back to work? :flower:

Hi all. I'm planning to start weaning my daughter in the next few weeks..she's nearly 23 weeks old now..As a first time mummy i have no idea where to start..it's seems so confusing..lol. I ideally want to make some homemade food up to freeze for her..Can anyone give me some ideas on what to start her with & when. Thanks.x

Sorry Kirsty, didn't see this in time, hope your weaning is going well :flower:

OK, so after a week of Freya deciding not to be spoon fed, and me thinking I was going to have to go down the BLW route, she devoured MY yoghurt yesterday, and since then had gobbled up anything I've given her off a spoon! Little minx!

She'd got quite good with the finger food thou, and had begun to chew and swallow. So I've decided to do TW with a lot of finger food - ie spoon feed cereal at some brekkie's, toast finger foods at others, finger foods for lunch with ie yoghurt (spoon fed) and some veg sticks and purees or meat "strips" with veg puree for tea. I figure this way I can get rid of the stack of purees in the freezer, but she won't lose the chewing skills she's gained.

Today she's had
B - spoon fed cereal, sucked on a piece of melon
L - rice cake with cream cheese and a cucumber baton, spoon fed pear puree
T (will be) brocolli florets (finger food) with brocolli, sweet potato and carrot puree, mashed banana.

What do you reckon? Too ambitious or OK? x

Sounds good, you usually find their hunger peaks and troughs for things depending on growth spurt times as well, so just offer things but don't get too stressed if she doesn't eat particulalrly well.

That's what I personally love about TW, you can mix both the feeding methods up, finger foods as well as spoons :flower:

Hello,
This is my first ever post so I'm hoping that this is the way to do it.

My son is 7 1/2 months old. I started weaning him at 6 months but he still wakes up to 4 times a night for breast feeds. He has been particularly unsettled recently but I can be fairly confident that this is due to teething. My Health Visitor thinks that he is waking so frequently because he needs more solid food during the day and suggested increasing his intake of solid food gradually, starting with breakfast when he usually eats the most. I have started trying to do this but am finding it difficult to get him to eat anything at all- even foods that he has previously liked and eaten with no problem.

I wondered if people thought that this loss of appetite (?) is just due to teething?

I wondered what tips other parents have for getting babies to eat solids if they experience a baby with a closed mouth, pushing the spoon away or turning their head.

If your baby refuses his savoury do you still offer his pudding?

I would be grateful for any advice, tips and other's experiences.

Thanks,

Sally

Hello,
This is my first ever post so I'm hoping that this is the way to do it.

My son is 7 1/2 months old. I started weaning him at 6 months but he still wakes up to 4 times a night for breast feeds. He has been particularly unsettled recently but I can be fairly confident that this is due to teething. My Health Visitor thinks that he is waking so frequently because he needs more solid food during the day and suggested increasing his intake of solid food gradually, starting with breakfast when he usually eats the most. I have started trying to do this but am finding it difficult to get him to eat anything at all- even foods that he has previously liked and eaten with no problem.

I wondered if people thought that this loss of appetite (?) is just due to teething?

I wondered what tips other parents have for getting babies to eat solids if they experience a baby with a closed mouth, pushing the spoon away or turning their head.

If your baby refuses his savoury do you still offer his pudding?

I would be grateful for any advice, tips and other's experiences.

Thanks,

Sally

Hi Sally,

Sorry again for such a late reply.

The only thing I could think is that maybe for a bit offer him lots of different finger foods so that he can 'graze' as and when throughout the day, that way when you offer spoon feeds, even if he still refuses he may later fancy something and go and eat. You just need to keep feeding times as stress-free as possible. It is difficult if they are teething and don't want anything in their mouths so something, as and when, is better than nothing. You could offer bits of cucumber which could be nice and cooling on his gums, they use that a lot as a snack for babies at my LO's nursery. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->