TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Farie, can I ask how you give your little one the Omeprazole as Ollie has been transferred from Ranitidine to the Omepreazole and I find it a complete pain in the backside as we've been breaking a tablet in half, mixing with two teaspooons of water then mix it with either half cube of apple puree which is really messy as its like lumpy water or adding pure orange which we can just about give him with a 10ml syringe.
Ollie is 22 weeks and on 3 meals a day with 4 x 7oz bottles and doing really well, the Domperidone also helps (he's on 3ml x 3times a day).

Hey there, Nim has her Losec which is granules in a capsule, she has the granules in a little pear puree, I open the capsule, pour them out onto a spoon and either drip my finger into the pear then into the granules or put a bit of pear onto a spoon then pour the granules on top and feed her the spoonful.

I'd just crush a tab dry and put the powder onto some pear puree

HTH

Hi, am just wondering how long did it take your lo's to start eating food instead of it all coming back out?
i started weaning about 3 weeks ago now first i started with baby rice now am on rusks mixed with his milk, now & again he shudders as though he doesnt like it thats why i changed from rice to rusks but hes also done it with them.

sometimes he opens his mouth to take the spoon but he always pushes the food back out, am just not sure what am doing wrong

p.s hes 26 + 3 days old

Hiya everyone,
My son is 4 months old and I've just recently started weaning him the traditional way. I give him baby rice, porridge and rusks which he loves. But when I try to give him real food like mashed potato (with his own milk),mashed up carrot and banana he's not interested and spits it out. Anyone have any advice?

Our LOs 6 months, and she'll eat porridge, mushed rusks and savory jars, she'll suck and bite little bits of finger foods but she won't eat our food mashed up :( i'd say just keep trying and maybe he'll eat it?

I tried giving him pureed pear the other day and he took a few spoonfuls of it, so I'm happy with that. I know that it wont happen overnight but we'll get there. xx

Defo keep trying, your on the right tracks :flower: You may of heard it before but it can take several attempts for your baby to like a food, some say 10, others say more and others may say less :wacko: It's certainly a case of keep trying, maybe move onto something else then re-introduce those tastes later. Overally, just make it as easy going and fun as possible for you both :flower:

:hi: Ladies. Just found this thread. We discovered our lil man is allergic to cows milk a few months ago (allergy blood tests). This is tiresome as he is now getting to the point where we can get a little more adventurous with his food but alot of stuff has cows milk powder in it. I am thinking of buyong some soy products e.g yoghurt etc. Anyone any idea if that's OK at this point? He is 6 months old today. Thanks

:hi: Ladies. Just found this thread. We discovered our lil man is allergic to cows milk a few months ago (allergy blood tests). This is tiresome as he is now getting to the point where we can get a little more adventurous with his food but alot of stuff has cows milk powder in it. I am thinking of buyong some soy products e.g yoghurt etc. Anyone any idea if that's OK at this point? He is 6 months old today. Thanks

Sorry, I'm not sure myself but there is a 'living with kids with allergies' group on here and they may be able to help you more (see link) https://www.babyandbump.com/parenting-groups/544129-living-kids-allergies-group.html :flower:

So as HV advised we are starting to wean. We have decided to TW. I have no idea when to give my LO the baby rice. I wasnt expecting to wean til, 6m so hadnt had time to get a book. Our bottle routine is as follows:

8-8oz
12-8oz
4-8oz
8-9oz

Naps are usually after a feed for 1-2 hours depending what we are doing etc.

When should I introduce the rice into this routine? Advise is much appreciated.

I have posted in main forum but only 1 response so far....

Try the baby rice in the middle of the day, if there is a reaction to it you will see, whereas if you give it at night you won't notice.
Maybe give it around 11am, where your baby will be starting to get a bit hungry, but not starving. If you give it when he is starving he won't take it as it is a completely new sensation to him.
Best of luck.

hiya - just finished a pot of baby porridge and noticed on the back its says (oatmeal and semi skimmed milk) so can he have normal porridge oats but with formula instead of milk? Just wondering as the baby food has oatmeal in so was wondering if its ok. He hates baby rice though and will not eat it but prefers his baby porridge

It should be fine to give him normal porridge oats with formula - I think the main thing is the texture, they aren't as fine as what is in baby porridge, so the size / thickness is more the issue.

thanks for that! He loves his baby porridge but hates baby rice and wev run out of baby porridge and iv got 2kgs of porridge in the cupboard:haha:

My LO usually drinks five 5-6oz bottles per day. I started weaning her when she was 19 almost 20 weeks and she now has a fruit purée with baby rice and breast milk for breakfast in the morning. Ever since I have started this I have noticed she really isnt hungry at all, all day? Her milk intake is quite poor, she has maybe 3-4 bottles of 4oz and most of that is overnight?! If I change when she eats to a late afternoon meal then she is up all night wriggling digesting! She LOVES banana and she actually roars for more! but this really fills her up!

Do I stop and wait until she is older? do I continue but give her a larger portion of breakfast food so it replaces some of the calories? Do I just give her lunch as well because she will eat off a spoon all day, its just not wanting to drink milk which is the issue.

eeek, help!

Food for a LO in the early stages of weaning is more for fun, taste, textures etc . . . they would still rely on their milk for the main intake for their nutrients; you don't necesserily have to stop but I wouldn't up her solids much more yet until she is a little bit older. You could try and reduce her breakfast and see if her milk intake increases again, its prob better to trial it that way rather than increasing, if that makes sense? :flower:

Although I am a tad confused, did she used to have 5x 6oz bottles and now it is 3 or 4 x 4oz bottles? :flower:

sorry, I meant she used to have five 6oz bottles a day, and now she has three or four 4 oz bottles (I make up a 6oz bottle but she leaves 2oz)

I found this for you :flower:

500ml = 16oz

Breastmilk is designed to be the perfect food for your baby's first six months. Both breastmilk and formula provide important vitamins, iron, and protein in an easy-to-digest form. Breastmilk or formula will remain her most important source of nutrition until she is a year old (FSA nd. c). This is the case even though solid foods will gradually replace some of your baby's milk feeds.

You could give your baby vitamin drops containing vitamins A, and D from six months (DH 2009). It's a way of ensuring she has enough of the important vitamins she needs. This is especially important for breastfed babies, and babies who drink less than 500ml of formula milk a day (BDA 2008)

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startingsolids/introducing/

Just want to say thanks to all you guys for your advice, this is my 1st post in here but ive read the entire thread now and you have all been really helpful.
My LO is nearly 19 weeks and a big boy. We have been weaning since he turned 17 weeks but VERY slowly.
He had baby porridge the 1st week and then since the weekend hes had pear with baby rice and then the last couple of days ive given him sweet potato with a bit of his own milk. Hes getting the hang of the spoon feeding now.
Hes always been a big milk feeder and im giving him his solid meal about an hour after his first bottle of the day as this is when hes the most relaxed. Only having one meal at the mo. Im giving the same food for at least 3 days before changing it, am planning on a couple more veggies before i go back to the fruit as think hes got a sweet tooth!
Have no questions right now but thanks again everyone for all your advice, im def a regular stalker now!

Just want to say thanks to all you guys for your advice, this is my 1st post in here but ive read the entire thread now and you have all been really helpful.
My LO is nearly 19 weeks and a big boy. We have been weaning since he turned 17 weeks but VERY slowly.
He had baby porridge the 1st week and then since the weekend hes had pear with baby rice and then the last couple of days ive given him sweet potato with a bit of his own milk. Hes getting the hang of the spoon feeding now.
Hes always been a big milk feeder and im giving him his solid meal about an hour after his first bottle of the day as this is when hes the most relaxed. Only having one meal at the mo. Im giving the same food for at least 3 days before changing it, am planning on a couple more veggies before i go back to the fruit as think hes got a sweet tooth!
Have no questions right now but thanks again everyone for all your advice, im def a regular stalker now!

Glad it's been helpful and your weaning is going well :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"