TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Fruit, vegetables, potatoes, porridge!

We have been making puree - potato/sweet potato/butternut squash/apple/pear/carrot :)

I didn't read through this whole thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating, I'd like to know what order others have introduced solids to their LO's? I started with rice cereal and he wouldn't take it, switched to oat and it's better so we've done oat cereal 2x's a day for about a week. I'm not sure where to go next as I've heard a lot of mixed messages.. veggies, meats? how often do you switch to try another food? also, what about giving rice husks? are they safe for baby? and at what age?

thanks!!

I'm not 100% newbie. Isaac is 7 months now and he's having about 2/3 puree food at the moment.

This is his food routine at the moment.

Wake up time (5-7am!) - baby banana porriage followed by 6/7oz stage 3 Cow&Gate follow on milk.

11-12a/pm – 7month cow & gate puree jar. (I personally don't have the time at the moment to make his feeds from fresh. Even though this weekend due to OH being at home till Tuesday I'll be making a huge batch for him). Also most of the time we're out and about jars are easier.

2-3pm – depending on what we've done that morning e.g. swimming or play centre I give him 7/8oz of Stage 3 milk again or rusk depending on how tired or hungry he is.

4-5pm – another baby jar of food he'll demolish that and daddy's home so he has play time and then bath.

6-7pm – depending on how tired he is and how much he's had that day he'll have around 6-8oz milk before bed.

Then that's him till 5-7am next day.

Any tips, hints what I'm doing wrong. What can I do etc.

recipes and menu's that I can do easy as and are very cheap to make during the week?

Today I've just made from Boot's baby organic pasta; with a tin of plum tomatoes.

That okay?

I feel totally new to all this and dont have a clue what to use for ingredients etc haha :blush:.

Sounds like you're doing great :)!

As for what he eats, I normally just give Sophie whatever we're eating. So she gets pasta, noodles, mash&veg&meat, and just whatever. It saves me having to make seperate stuff for her (sooooo time consuming!) plus it's actually got taste to it. We use toddler meals when out and about or if we have a take away.

I've just adapted to cooking without salt, but you'll be surprised how nice things can taste with other spices and herbs added!

Quick tip for lazy bones like me - buy bags of pre cut veg mixes to save u half the work! Can get big bags of carrot and swede ready to cook for £1 from my local spar.
I agree with butternut squash being a right mision to tackle! Wish they had that pre cut!

You can get pre-cut butternut squash in sainsburys :flower:

Quick tip for lazy bones like me - buy bags of pre cut veg mixes to save u half the work! Can get big bags of carrot and swede ready to cook for £1 from my local spar.
I agree with butternut squash being a right mision to tackle! Wish they had that pre cut!

I didn't read through this whole thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating, I'd like to know what order others have introduced solids to their LO's? I started with rice cereal and he wouldn't take it, switched to oat and it's better so we've done oat cereal 2x's a day for about a week. I'm not sure where to go next as I've heard a lot of mixed messages.. veggies, meats? how often do you switch to try another food? also, what about giving rice husks? are they safe for baby? and at what age?

thanks!!

i started my LO with rice cereal at 4 month, then a week later oatmeal. I waited until 5 month to introduce fruits/vegies. I first gave apple and now I am trying out carrot. Up to 5 month I gave once a day and only like 1oz just for taste. Now I give 2x a day 1 oz of each. Cereal at night veggie/fruit in the morning..

thanks!!

i started my LO with rice cereal at 4 month, then a week later oatmeal. I waited until 5 month to introduce fruits/vegies. I first gave apple and now I am trying out carrot. Up to 5 month I gave once a day and only like 1oz just for taste. Now I give 2x a day 1 oz of each. Cereal at night veggie/fruit in the morning..

We're doing it the other way around. Because cereals are known to be constipating, and LO has big problems with constipation, we're starting on fruits first. Apple at first, we'll give banana then avacado a try later. A really tiny amount- LO still doesn't quite get the idea and I'm not really committed to starting solids.

After starting with tw an lo refusing a spoon switching to blw and lo refusing to pick most things up (we tried for a month) I an bit back to tw!
Anyway.. Quick question we're having tuna pasta bake for tea (all homemade no added salt) I was going to blitz the left overs up for lo. Will pasta be too thick, could I add milk to thin it?

I tried to give him fork mashed jacket potato and cheese today and r wouldn't eat a lot of it but he then demolished a whole pouch of Ella's managi breky (it was all I had in!) do you thi j he prefers the smoother thinner consistency? What consistency should I be making his purées? Thanks !

Hello everyone. I haven't read through but would like to join this chat, I have 1 son, he is almost 7 months old. So far he is eating:
Breakfast: rice cereal and a fruit
Lunch: a meat with veggie, and fruit
Dinner: rice cereal and fruit
(All store bought)
He seems to be doing ok with that, and I am slowly introducing new foods to him.
I would like to follow along everyone else's advice/suggestions.

Tesco do it frozen in cubes :)

DS is 9 months old and until this week I had pureed his food or used jars. The food has slowly become more lumpy and I introduced bite size chunks of fruit. This week he has refused pureed food or jars and will only eat what I am eating. This is great but he refuses to feed himself and always has done. Everything else he picks up goes in his mouth but not food. After he has eaten I have been letting him play with his leftover food but is there anyway I can encourage him to feed himself

flou, I remember you from TTC thread. how are u doing. Congratulation on your baby. Your little ARTHUR must be your pride and joy. My Bronsen is incredible funny and smart too.
my boy is 1 year old and I am making his food every day, fresh, steamed veggies, fresh fruit and meat two a week. I started to give him yogurt too. have u tried fish. He did he threw up few times. He has allergy to egg.
I started him on the puree veggies and now I mash them or cut in small pieces.

He will not open his mouth, if he doesnt have something in his hands. Spoon, jar cover... He feeds himself with fingers and I am training him to eat with a spoon. It takes too long for him to spoon the food so I help him, I control the spoon.

Try to give him milk first and then a meal, he will not be sooo hungry and will have time to enjoy his food. Dont push him to feed himself, time will come. Eat together with a family and one day he will copy u.
Are u still breastfeeding. If not, how did u weaned him. I give him milk formula/ he drinks from the cup/ one time a day, next month I will introduce a second milk portion. By the end of April I plan to wean him.

Hi dovkav, I remember you too! I'm glad all is going well with your little one. My Arthur is definitely my pride and joy and I love being a mummy! It makes everything I went through to get him worthwhile.

Arthur is quite good about finishing off a bottle with food. He loves his porridge for breakfast and has pretty much been on 3 meals a day since the start of weaning. I guess I just let him explore his food, as he is keen to do that and hopefully he will eventually put it in his mouth.

When he was first born I breastfed but because I had to go on drugs as I had high blood pressure in late pregnancy. He had trouble regulating his blood sugar. I wasn't producing a huge amount of milk so I would breastfeed him and top up with formula. He wouldn't take it from a cup so I had to use a bottle. I then got an infection which meant I had to take strong antibiotics so I couldn't breastfeed. I pumped to maintain my milk supply so he ended up having a mixture of expressed breast milk and formula from early on. We are now introducing the trainer cup and he seems to enjoy using it and having that bit more independence.

I can't believe Arthur will be 1 in March. Where has the last year gone?! He is growing up so fast!

I am very proud of u that u didnt quit breastfeeding, pumped and mixed with formula.
I will not give him formula anymore cos organic cow whole milk is full of nutrients too and he turned 1 year 2 days ago.
He hates changing daiper and cloths, and cries when I leave the room.
He cries when I say no.
He loves bath, company-party, shopping, phone, keys, white bread, throw everything on the floor, play with nuts and jar covers.
Does your boy wakes up at night.
Bronsen wakes up 3 times at night, drinks milk and falls asleep.

Arthur is very much a mummys boy. Which I think gets to DH sometimes as he is the one who looks after him during the day whilst I go out to work. This has been the case since Arthur was about 6 months old but makes sense to us financially. I find it so difficult to leave him but I know its the right thing for our family. I love Arthur's smile when I come home. Arthur loves his Daddy but he is definitely a mummys boy! When I leave the room he cries, like your DH. He is always wary of strangers. And when meeting people for the first time he seems to assess them. After about half an hour with someone he will be happily playing with them and smiling. He loves being the centre of attention! He isn't that keen on other babies but loves other children, I would say from about 2 years and above. This might be due to my own circle of friends and their children. He is developing a sense of humour and finds passing wind hilarious! Typical boy! He loves his baths as well and he likes all his toys but can't sleep without his bunny rabbit. He mainly sleeps through the night. He started sleeping through from about 7 weeks. Back then he would go down about half 9ish and sleep until 5. He is now going to bed about half 7/8pm and will sleep until 8am. But if he is ill or having trouble with his teeth he will wake a few times for a cuddle. He doesn't sleep much in the day tho, just 2 40 min naps. As babies go Arthur has been a relatively easy and laid back one. I know of others whose babies just won't sleep and that must be so tiring! If I have another I hope I am as lucky again!

Is Bronsen walking yet? Arthur is attempting to crawl but just pushes himself backwards. According to my mum I didn't crawl until 11 months and DH never crawled. At nearly 11 months he just got up one day and walked.

I am so lucky to have someone like u to chat about our DS.
I am reading about your DS it feels u wrote about my DS. He is the same way,great with a humor. Imagine he wrinkles his nose, sniffs with a big smile. I say he is a doggy.
He held his head and turned from belly to back at 4 month. At 7 months sat on his own and stood up holding to the bed. At this time time he started to crawl, short distnaces just to reach the toy.
He crawled for months before walking. He did 5 steps on his own before he turned 1 year old. He is walking holding to the bed, wall and one or both of my hands. At 11 months he waved first time and now he cant stop, he waves every day with both hands.

You have a luxury that your DS is sleeping well at night. He did too from 6 weeks till 6months. Yesterday he woke up 6 times, I can calm him down only with a breast. Maybe 9th tooth is growing.
His favorite toy is a cow since he was born.
He loves dancing and humming along with music.

what is your DS bed routine
what is your postpartum weight. I gained 20kg and I have lost 22kg but my belly in the evenings is very big. My new year resolution is to do crunches every other day.

I was lucky, I didn't gain much weight during pregnancy, all baby, placenta and fluid. I weigh exactly what I did before conceiving. However, even though I'm not overweight, I would like to lose a few kgs and definitely exercise more - but between being mummy and working I don't have much time! Would love to tone up my wobbly tummy which has appeared since having Arthur, maybe I will try the stomach crunches too!

Arthur starts his bedtime routine at about 7ish. This involves a bath with me, change into a vest and sleepsuit, we read a book, bottle and a cuddle before sleep. He is normally asleep in his cot by 8. Then myself and DH get some time together before we go to bed. We find it so difficult to find time for each other. My parents live close by and do babysit for us when we need it. But I have to confess we end up talking about Arthur! Do you and your DH get much chance to spend time just the two of you? Recently we have been talking about baby number 2. I feel broody but I know its too early for me and in reality I don't feel ready. We are thinking of trying again in maybe a years time. I don't want to wait too long as I'm 35 in July and it took us 4 years from starting ttc to getting Arthur. I hope its easier next time round. FX! Are you planning anymore?

Hi flou,
Your baby is in the cot at 8pm. Does he fall asleep with you or in the cot by himself?
He falls asleep breastfeeding in my bed in the dark and then I put him in the cot. It was like this since, he was born and he slept through the night. At this time he wants to crawl and play after the milk. I have to carry him sing a song and he falls asleep. After 2 or 3 hours he is up and wont stop crying till I give him my breast. He refuses to stay in his crib in the evening, crying a lot; however, he is OK to play in the morning with his toy, cos I like to lay in bed longer.
I think he is up so often cos he wakes up and doesnt know how to fall asleep by himself, gets scared. His molar teeth are sprouting, maybe it is the reason of his bad sleep at night.

I wish to have a baby no2. I cant imagine having a baby and a 2 or a 3year old. It is too hard. I take care after him all the time, my mother in law and my husband only play with him. We dont have time alone at all, only when the baby asleep. My mother in law is 84 she took care after him maybe 3 times and she didnt care about my wishes and rules about his care. We take Bronsen along everywhere. My hubby is depressed and he has OCD, he is not seeking any medical help. He is in bed all day. Eats and drinks only in the evening. It would be unfair if we bring another baby to this world in this haotic time of our lives.
We did IVFs and I know we will need many more for another baby.
If I were you, I would try for another baby. When u are ready. It also took u along time conceive.
I am 36 and I feel I am very fertile. I think so about you too. Start taking folic acid and do it.:hugs:
You told me before your DS was sick. What did he have?
Bronsen had a very bad alergic reaction to eggs, we were lucky his breathing was not disturbed.
He had mouth, hand disease, Coxacki virus for 3 days and nights with a very high fever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->