U.S. breast pump FYI

sojourn

Soon to have 2 under 2
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you know, but some of you may not so I figured I'd post a little PSA.

As of 2013 insurance companies are required to provide breastfeeding supplies including pumps with no deductibles or any kind of out of pocket expenses.

IDK about how each insurance company is handling it, but Aetna covers even an electric pump (non-hospital grade) within 60 days of the birth of your child. PLUS if you have another, they will either replace it (if it has been more than three years) or provide additional supplies (if it has been less than three).

So, if you think you might want to BF, then you should definitely check with your insurance company and figure out what you need to do.

Hell, even if you plan on formula feeding due to having to work etc. it might be worth it if you possibly wanted to bottle feed with breast milk for a while. Or just in case you might change your mind. Who knows?

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE ABOUT THE ACA!!! If that happens I will just request the thread to be closed as that is OFF TOPIC.
I am just not in the mood to read everyone's opinions about it. Don't like it? Keep it to yourself. Love it? Find another avenue and pass on the information to new moms who can benefit from it.

Thanks for posting this! A friend just had a baby and she told me that her ins company paid for her pump and that I should check to see if mine does too but I didn't realize they have too. One less thing to buy!

They just have to provide *some* breast pump. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fancy one. But hell, it's better than nothing! Every little bit helps.

This is the best news I've gotten since I found out one of my benefits at work is $5,000 towards day care. THANKS!!!

My cousin got the nicest Mendela electric pump through her insurance, she just had to pay like a $20 copay.

thank you! I'm doubly insured so need to see what I need to do.

If anyone here happens to be insured under Independence Blue Cross, here's the info they gave me:

"If you wish to purchase a breast pump, you are eligible through your durable medical equipment (DME) benefit of 100% of the plan’s allowance. You may locate an in-network DME supplier by visiting www.ibx.com to perform a provider search in your area. You may wish to contact the provider to verify the brands of breast pumps they may offer.

Also, our Baby BluePrints program offers reimbursement up to $50 for the purchase of a breast pump. You may contact the Baby BluePrints department for further information at 1-800-598-BABY.

You may also find information about the program when you log in to your online account (www.ibxpress.com) and click the Health & Wellness tab on the homepage.

If we can be of further assistance, please contact us by email or by calling our customer service department at 1-800-ASK-BLUE. A representative will be happy to assist you."

This is fantastic! I will be calling my insurance very soon. :)

That's a great thing to happen, especially because you US ladies tend to have to go back work sooner also :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->