Ugh nauseous and light headed?! & HG question

orangedaisy

Reaction score
So at my doc appt yesterday she said they do the diclectin something or other as the meds, but my insurance doesn't cover it for some reason. So I'm trying the 25mg of B6 3 times a day first to see if it helps.
Woke up this morning not AS nauseous as usual, but still nauseous enough to feel like crap and not want to get outta bed. I have 2 little ones though, so I HAVE to get out of bed. Showered, and then had to lay back down out of fear of passing out. I was so light headed I wasn't sure I'd make it to the bed. Had to kneel in the shower a couple times. I let the hubby know in case it gets worse, and have taken my morning's B6 and eaten breakfast so hopefully it passes.
I can't be passing out in a two story house with 2 littles, anyone else got this crap? Can you have HG and NOT be vomitting? I haven't lost any weight cos I'm forcing myself to eat, but omg.

Hi, I'm in the uk and in the same position with 2 other little ones to look after.

I'm not vomiting and forcing myself to eat toast but I couldn't function enough to look after the children. I've been to the dr today and been given cyclizine, took the first one this morning and am already feeling so much better. If you can possibly get meds I would, it's no fun when you have little ones to care for xxx

Diclectin is b6 and the antihistamine doxylamine, found in unisom. My dr has me take those 2 together. Maybe try that? It seems to help, b6 does nothing for me on its own.

I also take zantac and zofran. With that combo I'm surprisingly STILL nauseous! But it's just barely manageable. But at least it is.
Also the passing out feeling for me passed after the first few weeks thank goodness. Gosh I hope we all feel better soon.
Early meds can really make a difference on how bad it gets, in my opinion, comparing this pregnancy to my last one.

Yes...you can absolutely have HG and not be vomiting. HG is determined by a few factors, among them the rate and amount of weight loss, severity of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, the requirement for medication. I have a post all about HG on here with a list to compare morning sickness to HG. Check it out.

I'm confused by that though because "emesis" means vomiting, so hypermesis means "excessive vomiting"
Maybe the names just misleading?

lanet - it does. But I know of women who hardly vomited yet still ended up hospitalized and with ports and PICCs just for the fact the nausea stopped them from being able to consume anything. It is less common, but does happen.

EDIT: severe, debilitating nausea still falls under the HG umbrella as it is closely related.

I'm confused by that though because "emesis" means vomiting, so hypermesis means "excessive vomiting"
Maybe the names just misleading?

It was probably named before they had the ability to do a urine analysis and blood work. :D

Its kind of like comparing different types or stages of cancer to each other. Some are easier to treat or less threatening but are still cancer. I know a woman who had HG and threw up only 4 times, but by the end of her pregnancy had multiple organ failure. Her nausea was so severe she could not be touched, roll over, nothing. She gagged constantly and putting food in her mouth would cause her to choke, but not vomit. She was unable to swallow at all. It turned out she had a thyroid condition which caused her gag reflex to malfunction, making her unable to vomit.

Maybe it was named by the same person that named "morning sickness"
I'm still not sure if my first pregnancy was hg. I was hospitalized twice with dehydration. Couldn't eat or drink or even function, definetely lots of vomiting, 24/7 for 6 months even with every med they could try.
However with this one it started to get bad fast and I just started meds early, stuck with them religiously, and although I have terrible nausea from 5pm to bedtime, I can function and haven't thrown up once. So maybe I just have severe morning sickness.

If you were in and out of the hospital for dehydration, i'd say it is safe to say that is HG. I'd even go so far as to say as soon as you need medication intervention, you at least have mild HG. Normal morning sickness does not require medication. It is uncomfortable, sure, but it is not debilitating, it happens only once or twice a day, and you can carry on with life without the need for medicine to help you to function. It doesn't stop you in your tracks and slows you down very little. It passes by 2nd trimester. It doesn't cause weight loss at a huge level. You might lose one or two lbs, but not 5-10% of your body weight. It does not require IV hydration. If you require these things to survive or even function, I'd say you have HG.

I was wondering about the dizziness myself. It's been getting worse for me the last few days but it's way worse in the mornings. Its all I can do to get out of bed and that takes me quite a while. I feel like I have a really bad hangover but without the severe headache every morning. No vomiting yet but almost did this morning. I'm not one to actually vomit, I seem to manage to suppress it even with a bad stomach bug, always been that way for some reason but the dizziness and light headedness is kicking my butt!

I hope you feel better soon hun and yes, do try the unisom and b6 together, it's been shown to work and is perfectly safe!

Thanks everyone. The nurse has me on Unisom and B6 together now. Then last night I tried Sprite, and omg I had tears of joy in my eyes, it tasted sooo good. And it causes me to burp which gets the nasty bubbles out of my stomach that I think are causing some of my sickness. So those 3 together, I'm feeling a lot better. Still icky, but at least I can function now. I actually made it out of the house today for a few groceries.

I drank a sprite the other night too and was trying to explain to my friend how burping is the best feeling in the world to a sick pregnant woman! Glad you're doing better.
Just some input but not sure if it's the same, I feel like my dizziness early on was bc of blood pressure changes that happen in early pregnancy, it really did go away after a couple of weeks so hopefully it will for you guys too, but also make sure you're hydrated.

I drank a sprite the other night too and was trying to explain to my friend how burping is the best feeling in the world to a sick pregnant woman! Glad you're doing better.
Just some input but not sure if it's the same, I feel like my dizziness early on was bc of blood pressure changes that happen in early pregnancy, it really did go away after a couple of weeks so hopefully it will for you guys too, but also make sure you're hydrated.

I am wondering if it is blood pressure related, so I'm working on getting better hydrated. I had some really nasty nausea this morning, it took a while but I did manage to eat. Now I'm waiting very impatiently for my lab results from this morning lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->