UK Maternity pay question

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a full year off with baby and then returning to work.

However, if I choose not to return to work, does anyone know if I would have to repay any of my maternity pay above SMP?

I understand that SMP itself does not need to be repaid, but my company pays my full salary for the first 12 weeks. There is nothing in my contract or my companies Maternity leave/pay policy that says I would need to repay it if I don't return to work, but I have friends who work at other places who say that they need to repay any additional maternity pay if they don't come back to work for x months after maternity leave. Is that something that would need to be explicitly stated in my contract, so if there's no mention of it I can assume that no repayments would be necessary?

Thanks!

No they cannot make you re-pay anything, SMP or any agreed additional pay in your contract.

Lucky thing getting 12 weeks full, I will just be on plain SMP :p

I work for the NHS and I'm sure I have read in our policy that I will have to pay something back if I don't go back to work.

I work for the NHS and I'm sure I have read in our policy that I will have to pay something back if I don't go back to work.

Thanks Annaki - so it's stated in your policy? Nothing is said about it in my policy so I'm hoping that means I wouldn't need to repay.

No they cannot make you re-pay anything, SMP or any agreed additional pay in your contract.

Lucky thing getting 12 weeks full, I will just be on plain SMP :p

Thanks Dani! That's great to hear, I was worried I might need to save a bit of it back just in case!

12 weeks full is very fortunate - my company was bought out by another last year who only offer the basic SMP. Fortunately they haven't got round to reviewing our policies/contracts yet so my original one still applies! :thumbup:

I get 6 months full pay - I would definitely have to pay it back if I didn't return, this is stated in the company's maternity leave policy. I would double check with HR if you aren't 100% sure just to avoid any nasty surprises X

I would definitely ask HR. Usually anything over SMP has to be repaid or you have to return to work for a certain amount of time x

Best to check with HR.

I get 13 weeks full pay and it says in my policy that I don't have to pay this back but I think each company deals with it differently.

I think by law, you don't have to but as others have mentioned it might be in your handbook, policy etc.

If it is stated in your contract then I'm presuming you would have to but may be worth checking with work but if you don't want to then maybe Citizen's Advice Bureau may be able to answer your query x

Check with HR.

It's not stated in mine if I have to pay my first 12 weeks of full pay back either ... I emailed them and I don't have to pay it back if I leave ...

It will depend on your company

Hi,
I think HR is your best bet as all companies are different in their policies.
I would think if its not stated in your policy you probably don't have to but best to check,
My company - I get a full year off at full pay and don't have to pay anything back if I didn't return but that is most definitely not the norm

Xx

I don't have to pay any of mine back, in fact if I left the company 12 weeks before I'm due, I'd still receive my maternity package of 12 weeks full pay, 12 weeks half pay and 12 weeks smp!!
Need to pay my mortgage tho so guess I will be going back! X

Its in my HR handbook that unless I return for more than 26 weeks work I need to pay back maternity pay

NHS and local government have different mat pay patterns fr staff planning to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->