UK mums to be - when did you hear from the midwife?

red_head

Reaction score
I’m going out my mind and really want to speak to my midwife, but still haven’t heard anything! I’m 8 weeks and am getting mixed information - some people say I won’t even hear from them until 10 weeks, but some people say I should have seen them by then? I ovulated late so I know I’m 8 weeks, and have had early scans, but my lmp I would be nearly 10 weeks now - when I filled in the paperwork I was asked to put down that rather than ovulation date, so would they be going off that or would they have been given the scan info? I just want to talk to them as my anxiety is off the chart and I really need some reassurance! I can’t ring them either as I don’t have their number and the doctors surgery don’t give it out. And I know they received the referral as I’ve had my 12 week scan through (which was originally going to be on the 12th of Feb I think but because of the scans I’ve already had they’ve moved it back to the 23rd which seems so far away!! Also I’ve got an appointment to see the consultant but that’s not too after the scan as he only runs them every two weeks and won’t see me until I’m at least 10 weeks so i just missed an earlier one.

Have you had your booking? I saw them at the booking (7 or 8 weeks), 12 week scan then 16 weeks and so on. Are you able to google for a direct number or phone the switchboard and ask to be put through?

Haven’t had a booking I don’t think? I filled out an online form and that’s it? I don’t know whether because I had early scans at the hospital that would change anything? They won’t give out direct numbers or anything so I can’t reacb them I don’t think unless I request my gp calls them, which they won’t do. If there’s an emergency I can phone the epu, but there isn’t - I just want some reassurance and support!

I had a hcg beta when I was about 5 weeks in the epu but that’s the only test. I haven’t seen a midwife at all.

You usually have a booking appointment where they ask loads about your history and take blood tests to check your blood group, iron levels etc.
It's usually done about 8-10 weeks, might be worth a phone call if you haven't heard yet.
Although where I am they wouldn't book your 12 week scan till after the booking appointment but maybe it's different because of your early scans?

Definitely not had that - I’ve got quite an involved medical history and no one has asked about it at all! Here the scan gets sent automatically I think when you register online. I might give it til Friday and then chase via my gp next week if I still haven’t heard.

Might be different in Scotland but we'd be seen within two weeks of first calling then again about 10 weeks for a booking appointment. We also self refer ourselves to a midwife, our Dr wouldnt see us regarding pregnancy at all. Not even to confirm it x

In Suffolk we have to call the doctors and book ourselves to see the midwife at around 8 weeks, once we have seen them they book the 12 week scan

I'm in Suffolk too and same as above. I didn't see till 14weeks though so I had a late 13week scan but that's as I was moving house and didn't see mw (4th baby!)

I just phoned them as everyone seems to have seen them around where I am now date wise - I got to them through the hospital switchboard but the lady wasn’t very helpful and just said they would contact me before my scan - she didn’t take my details so didn’t check I was in the system, and my scan isn’t until I’m 13 weeks so I hope I don’t have to wait that long :/ she just reiterated any problems/emergencies phone the epu but otherwise I have to wait for them to call.

It does feel a bit silly that I’m going to have to wait out this nerve wracking time on my own, and then when I hit 12/13 weeks I will have a scan and I have a consultant appointment, and will be seeing the midwife then too! Wish they’d spread it out a bit so I’m not on my own for these horrible long stretches and then overwhelmed for a couple weeks before nothing again!

It is very odd they’re not making you any apts I’m pretty sure it’s nhs procedure to see you around 8 weeks to take bloods and get your notes started etc. Do you know where your midwife will be based? I’d ring there and ask if you’ll be having bloods at any point before your scan x

That’s where I did phone - they’re based on my local hospital. If I haven’t heard by the end of the week I will phone again. Frustrating! I was hoping to hear from them early due to my history and everything I’ve got going on, can’t believe I’m hearing from them later than most!

As long as your midwive books you in before your scan it can be as late as an hour before your dating scan as in london you cant go for your dating scan untill you have your maternity notes x

I didn't see mine till about 16 weeks in the end but it was ok. They didn't do much before that. A doctor can do bloods. X

Maybe they’ll do bloods just before the scan? Possible I guess. Don’t panic, I’m sure they know what they’re doing. Here our midwives are based at either dr surgeries or at children’s centres x

With my son I was 12 weeks and it was literally days before my scan. I was starting to think they had forgotten me as it was at 7 weeks with the baby I had before him. They will get round to it, they don’t see it the way we do. They don’t really get the importance for some women who have anxiety around early pregnancy. I hope you get seen soon.

I seen a midwife at 8 weeks with both my girls DD2 I had a few early scans but still seen midwife at 8 weeks were she took initial bloods and asked about family history . I had scans at 12 weeks bloods taken again and 20 weeks .
I’m in the U.K.
I would be phoning again the NHS website does say 8/12 weeks for a booking in appointment . They seem to change things all the time !

Try not to stress I’m sure you will get an appointment soon

Here we call and book our appointments. So I called at 5 weeks in all my pregnancies, and then usually the appt letter comes through within about a week after that. My booking appts have been 7, 8 and 9 weeks exactly in each of my 3 pregnancies, so about 2-4 weeks after I initially rang them up to make the appt. You may just need to be more proactive than filling out a form and call to speak to them and follow up to self refer. I would call the actual maternity ward and ask to speak to a community midwife. I wouldn't waste your time talking to someone on the switchboard as they aren't a midwife and don't manage the bookings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->