(UK) Pre eclampsia in previous pregnancy

girlinyork

Reaction score
Will they do anything different in subsequent pregnancies if you had pre eclampsia in your first?

hey girlinyork

Obviously I'm in Canada and not the uk, but thought I'd tell you that just because you had pre-e in your first pregnancy doesn't mean you will again.. I had it during my first pregnancy and then zero bp issues in my second!

Hope that you're lucky too!

Kim

There probably won't be anything extra/different done, but if your BP is raised at one of your routine appointments, or you have any symptoms, then they will/should do the blood tests to check

My friend had pre eclampsia in her first and the only thing they did different with her second was keep a close eye on her towards the end of her pregnancy. Extra bp checks x

I was pre e my first pregnancy. My doctor said it's a 50/50 that you will have it again. They will monitor your BP closely and my midwife order pre e labs to be done. She also told me to take a low dose aspirin a day unless my perintoligist tells me different.
Idk what the next step is for me, BP was a little high at first appt but not anything significant. There is BP medicine for pregnant woman.

They may give you low dose aspirin but that's probably it unless it shows up again. It depends if you have other risk factors for pre-e and stroke as to what they do.

I had it with my first and now they advise it take low dose asprin from 12 weeks to the end (they prescribe it) and I had appointment with the consultant at 14 weeks who advised growth scans at 28 + 34 weeks. Another appointment with her at 28 weeks to check everything's going ok and then monthly bp checks from 24 weeks and fortnightly bp checks from 32 weeks.

I had pre-e last time. Have just had my booking in appt. & she put me down as high risk pregnancy this time, but never mentioned aspirin etc....will I get sent a doctors meeting do you think? I was low risk last time & didn't think to ask at my booking in appt. I don't know whether to ring them or just wait till my 12wk scan to ask?

I'm high risk because of a few factors, but I'm borderline. I have to see a consultant at my 12 week scan. Last time I was the same risk number and saw a consultant twice and took low dose aspirin post 12 weeks. It will probably vary a bit depending on how services are coordinated locally though.

Well if I don't hear by my scan I can just ask them then whether I need to make an appt etc. thanks.

I had pre-e last time. Have just had my booking in appt. & she put me down as high risk pregnancy this time, but never mentioned aspirin etc....will I get sent a doctors meeting do you think? I was low risk last time & didn't think to ask at my booking in appt. I don't know whether to ring them or just wait till my 12wk scan to ask?

If you've been put down as high risk have you been referred to the consultant? As I'm guessing they will most likely advise you further.

The midwife never said. I had a rushed appointment as I didn't realise I was pregnant for a few weeks and then they now have a big rigmarole to go through in my area to get seen so there were no booking in appointments in time as they are booked up for weeks so they just did a half hour slotting in thing for me so I coukd be seen in time.

You will be referred to a consultant if you're high risk. They may only need to see you once to make a plan - if everything is ok after that then you might not see them again, just your midwife :)

If you've been put down as high risk have you been referred to the consultant? As I'm guessing they will most likely advise you further.

Yes I'll be seeing a consultant. Probably after my 20 week scan

I have an appointment with a dr at the hospital at 15wks...guessing that's my consultant appt... Less than 2 weeks till my scan...I hope you are all doing well :)

I saw my consultant yesterday! She went through the bloods taken on the day of delivery and they showed that my kidney function had hit rock bottom. I was never informed how bad the pre-e was so I was quite shocked. I'm getting regular bloods and growth scans as well as weekly bp checks in my last 5-7 weeks. My consultant was particularly concerned that things got that bad despite being on aspirin with my daughter so they are erring on the side of caution x

Good luck ladies. I have had pre-e & hellp with every pregancy. But I'm one of those ladies that doesn't do anything by halves! All the best

I had it with my 3rd baby but had no issues since and I am pregnant with baby number 7. I ended up with an emergency section with my 3rd and I just remember the surgeon commenting saying that the placenta was very 'scrappy' and we were lucky to have delivered a live baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->