UK Statutory Maternity Pay - Bonuses, Holidays etc.

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
Hi ladies in the UK! I know most things about our statutory maternity pay, however one thing I am unclear on is holiday entitlement, bonuses and first aid pay. We currently get a bonus every month based on profit so some months its none, some months upto £100. I'm expecting to take 39 weeks maternity (6 weeks @ 90%, the remainder at £140? a week). My OH says that in that 39 weeks I should get the bonus and that I will get all my holiday entitlement for the year, regardless of whether I am on maternity or go back straight away. I'm also a first aider and do get extra money for this currently. Do I still get all that when I go on maternity?

Hello,

You should try posting in work and finance as there are some very knowledgeable ladies working there. Also check your companies maternity policy or hr dept. however based on my knowledge:

Holidays - you definitely accrue leave and bank holidays during your maternity leave. Depending on your holiday year you may be asked to take any reamaining for this year before you leave but during your next holiday year you will accrue them to use on your return. You may wish to use some in the week(s) prior to coming back so you get paid sooner.

Bonuses - my companies policy is to pay bonus' while on leave but I would guess this is discretionary.

1st aid pay - I would guess this is taken into account for your 6 weeks at 90% pay but I would be supposed if you get it the rest of your leave, however this would be down to company policy I guess.

Hope this helps?

Thanks, we don't have any sort of maternity scheme as I work with 95% men! It's all statutory so I guess I need to ask work really. I wanted to know if there were any definite rules around it so that they don't fob me off!

We go Jan-Dec for hols and i'm due at the end of January so they will have renewed when I leave for maternity.

Like the PP says you definitely accrue your annual leave, so for instance my company gives 6 weeks August-July, so I am taking my 6 weeks from September in one block and then start maternity leave from 30 weeks in October. Because I am going on annual leave near the start of our financial year it makes more sense for me to take it at the start, some people split it or take it at the end.

Sorry I'm not sure about the others.

(I'm taking a full year which is why I'm using it all at once, if you are only taking 9 months you might want to save some of your leave if you want time off in the last 3 months of the year)

I've done maternity leave once already as pregnant with second now.

Holiday entitlement - you accrue all the same holidays as you would if you were working. Most firms will want you to then take them at the end of your maternity leave as it's easier, but some will allow you to carry them over and have double holidays the next year, it's their discretion. I was allowed to take mine at 2 days a week for first 3 months back which meant I was part time on full time wage for a while, again that's company discretion though.

Bonuses depend on company policy. Ours is a percentage, so if it's an annual bonus and you were working for a third of that year and maternity the other two thirds, you'd get a third of the bonus amount. I don't know what the legal standpoint is, it makes sense that you should get something if your work contributed. I'm not in a role that has a bonus structure so never paid much attention.

First aid bonus - I'm fairly sure you wouldn't get this while on mat leave since you can't provide what they're supplementing you for. Also our company policy states first aiders can continue to be first aid contacts for as long as they feel comfortable and capable to bend over and administer first aid. Fire wardens have to cease duties as soon as pregnant for safety reasons. I think all this would probably vary from one employer to next.

Bonuses - I reckon I get 10 percent of what I used to get - at my company they are discretionary so not much I can do ....... Just to warn you.

I'm also a first aid person but as I'm not in the building I'm not able to get that money either as I wouldn't be able to assist with an emergency .....

Worth speaking to your company to find ins and out and try and get this in a written response !!!!
Gl

Bonuses are pro-rota at my firm. It's annual and the year runs jan - dec. I left for my mat at the end of Mar so I qualified for 1/4. Holidays & BH was worked out that I had 1/4 allowance to take before I left and the rest rolled over to my return. I had 4 weeks to take and despite going back 4 days a week I had to use them on the F/T basis and took an 4 weeks leave. I couldn't take it based on my 4 day week however the pay was lovely after being on statutory maternity pay! That's something to be mindful of.

is there a staff handbook you can refer too?

Bonus is down to the company. My company give me full pay for 6 months plus an average of my last 3 months bonus which will work out quite good for me.

I think if your first aid pay is separate to your wage then you're not guaranteed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->