UK Visas

O

Ozzieshunni

So, as I near closer to applying for my visa for indefinate leave to remain, I've gotten to thinking. If you come from a country outside the European Union, you must pay huge amounts of money to get into the UK, while people from within the European Union can come into the UK and automatically get a home, benefits, etc.

Is this fair? Do you think the law should be amended so people coming from other countries outside the EU should pay less or people coming from within the EU should have to pay a small fee?

Also, should the government be doing more to stop people who are working in the UK from applying for Child/Family Benefits if their families are not living in the UK?

Well if their families aren't living here, then they're committing fraud and the government likes to tackle that!

Conversely, we have rights to leave the country (UK residents, that is) and settle in any European country we choose, get jobs, send our kids to school, claim benefits etc., so it works both ways. A recipricol agreement. I'm all for people trying to make a better life for them and their children if that's what they want. Not all migrants who come here sit on benefits doing nothing. EU countries are banded together for mutual benefit.

I think people from outside UK should pay a reduced fee to what it is. The reason for this is that majority of those coming from overseas are either highly skilled people coming into jobs, or university students who will be paying tens of thousands in fees etc. They contribute so much so it seems unfair to charge them that amount.
Some EU migrants are relatively low skilled in comparison, but they can come, and so from an economic point of view, it seems abit skewed. Also, migrants from overseas, for the most part, are not entitled to benefits anyway.

Having said that though, to charge the EU migrants would be to jeopardize the concept of free movement which is what the EU is all about anyway, so don't really see that working.

my bf was telling me the ova day.. that a girl he works with and her partner have started to talk about having a baby... they are from slovakia.. thy are entitled to benefits from BOTH countries... only a one off payment from slovakia but obviously fully entitled to what ever they might be entitled to here.. that kind of annoyed me tbh ... and you hear things like that all the time. i don't begrudge them claiming it because they are hard workers etc and if someone is stupid anuff to often you extra money you take it ! haahha but in all seriousness where is the fairness in that ?

unless it works the same way for us ? in which case i'm not fussed lol x

People coming from the EU don't automatically get a house, benefits etc. We were looking into moving back to the UK a couple years ago (OH is Finnish) and we could only go there for 3 months to look for work, and only if we could support ourselves. There was no possibility of just getting a house or benefits or anything like that.

I think the visa costs are completely unfair - My hubby is Indian and we have had to pay out so so much money for visas, spend 3 months apart waiting for them (when he was also apart from his daughter), I think if you come from outside the EU everyone acts like you are here to sponge of the government. We have taken no money yet my hubby pays taxes and thousands in all the visa costs as well. If you can prove you are a legitimate family (where one person is British) I think your visas should be free, or at a very reduced cost. I dont think a lot of people realise how expensive it actually is and the hoops you have to jump through as well. Sorry for the rant, I just find it so unfair when I have paid so much in taxes and my husband has too that we are punished by the government because we have fallen in love with someone with a different passport, to be allowed to live together and have a family (in any country as I would need a visa for India) we must pay thousands of pounds - how is that fair?!

I do think its fair yes. It works both ways and we can go as we please to other EU countries. I think its just something you need to keep in mind when you enter a relationship with someone from outside the EU.
My little brothers best friend is from trinidad and tobago and theyve had a hard time lately cos his dad lost his job and they were going to be deported. Luckily he found another one but I do find it unfair that families who have been here for years and years get deported so easily.

It's different when you are experiencing it firsthand, Blah.

The thing is that that people in the UK can move freely within Europe so it is not just a one way street. If, as a UK citizen, you choose to move to many countries outwith the UK then you have to pay fees/ apply for Visas/ have proof of financial stability etc. Moving to the States for example is almost impossible now unless you are married to a national or working in certain industries.

This is just my opinion (not intentionally trying to offend) and doesn't mean its right;

If every country in the world did this then yes i'd agree, but they dont, we have to jump through hoops to go to other countries outside of the EU and so those coming this way should do the same. I am sorry that the individuals have to do it but as a whole I do think it needs to work both ways or not at all. As for benifits I think only UK born and bred should get them... Simply because otherwise everyone would move here just for the benifits after its the british that have paid all thier wages into the system (thats already struggling).

This is just my opinion (not intentionally trying to offend) and doesn't mean its right;

If every country in the world did this then yes i'd agree, but they dont, we have to jump through hoops to go to other countries outside of the EU and so those coming this way should do the same. I am sorry that the individuals have to do it but as a whole I do think it needs to work both ways or not at all. As for benifits I think only UK born and bred should get them... Simply because otherwise everyone would move here just for the benifits after its the british that have paid all thier wages into the system (thats already struggling).

So you would be happy for someone who has never worked but is British claiming JSA/housing benefit etc all their adult life because they couldnt be bothered to work and knew how to play the system, but if someone not British lived here and worked for 30 years (and therefore paid 30 years of taxes), was injured and no longer able to work you believe that that person should not get any benefits at all?

So, once I get my visa and am entitled to benefits, I shouldn't claim them because I'm not British? My son is a dual citizen, my husband is Scottish, but I can't get anything because I'm not? Seems a little biased to me after I shelled out all this money to stay in the country.

I am not a British Citizen yet I pay taxes, are you saying if I worked here for 30 years and then became unwell or unfit to work I wouldn't be entitled to anything? thats ridiculous!

I also think the cost for Visas is insane, I am already starting to stress about paying my ILR visa next October. I wish people from commonwealth countries had an easier time with it, the Queen is still our head of state for gods sake!

I don't agree with having to pay to live in any country. Once you are a citizen of somewhere you are essentially a slave of that government - why should anyone have to fork out for that?

I shouldn't get into these debates :blush: :dohh:

I think the cost is insane. Also, if you dont fit into the categories it can get a whole lot more expensive. When my DH got his visa, i wasnt old enough for the marriage visa and he didnt fit into any other category so he had to come here 6 weeks before i gave birth to our daughter and quickly gather together anything and everything (photos, mail etc.) to prove that he had a life here and apply under human rights. Then they can decide if it is a yes or a no which, might i add is extremely off putting when youre having that persons baby and they can just send them home again if they decide to.
I do think its wrong the way they do things.
For the people who said its easy to claim benefits, it isnt at all! It took me 8 months to get my tax credits completely sorted because they needed ID and loads more things. And im British! Its just because im married to an American they make things awkward when they really shouldnt be. We have been checked out already in the visa process which is slow enough.

I'm American. DH is English. We live together in London and I'm about to apply for my Indefinite Leave to remain. I've had to wait three years to resume my nursing training due to me not being from the EU. However, non-English-speaking immigrants are allowed to start nursing training immediately here if they are from the EU or Commonwealth countries, even if they do not intend to work here after they qualify. The only exception is Australia (a commonwealth country). Want to know why Australians have to wait? Because they are native English speakers. It's extremely unfair and arse backwards. Priority is given to those whose cultures are as different as possible from British culture.

I'm American. DH is English. We live together in London and I'm about to apply for my Indefinite Leave to remain. I've had to wait three years to resume my nursing training due to me not being from the EU. However, non-English-speaking immigrants are allowed to start nursing training immediately here if they are from the EU or Commonwealth countries, even if they do not intend to work here after they qualify. The only exception is Australia (a commonwealth country). Want to know why Australians have to wait? Because they are native English speakers. It's extremely unfair and arse backwards. Priority is given to those whose cultures are as different as possible from British culture.

I'm a Canadian and I have go wait swell (commonwealth country)

I'm set to take my Life in the UK test on January 14th. Whoop whoop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->