UK vs US Children's TV

L

lepaskilf

First of all, I hope this doesn't offend any US members.

I let Tom watch TV but I never let him watch the US programmes, such as the US Thomas the Tank.

I fiind the US ones quite brash and loud and too fast pacing. I think it's because we usually stick to CBeebies but if we watch Milkshake and a US programme comes on it just instantly annoys me!!!

It's strange as we love the Disney & Pixar films!!

Anyone else like this?

TBH amelie loves the US shows more. I find them all crap but I find thomas so boring >.< so does she.

When we started watching Disney Junior after only ever watching CBeebies, I did find it all a bit more, I dunno, different, loud, busy, 'Americanny', and some of it was really annoying. But my daughter prefers it, she loves Mickey mouse and special agent Oso and urgghhhh everything, I find the CBeebies stuff more educational, but she seems to get bored with it quicker now.

My 4 yr old loves disney jr but I am trying to stop her from watching it. In the past week alone she has seen the 'garbage' man and the 'mail' man.

I won't let Katie watch SpongeBob after I read an article that it shortens their attention span :rofl:

She loves MMCH, I hate it. The words they use are made and it bothers me...like Mousekatools and Tootles!!!

V xx

I'm glad it's not just me lol!!

My LO is only 2.6 years old, so maybe he'll want to watch the loud annoying ones in a year or 2. He's happy with CBeebies at the moment which is good as I can only just stand that! God know what I'll be like when he's older!! I'll prob throw the telly out of the window!

I dint even know what shows are on c beebies :blush: other than in the night garden and waybaloo which we don't like at all lol LO loves loves loves mmch and Jake an the neverland pirates.

lyssa's two of lyssa's favourite shows are barney and mickey mouse clubhouse- (the third is something special)
doesnt bother me, i find barney incredibly educational- more so than some of the cbeebies shows that annoy me more ( waybuloo and in the night garden)- but dont have a problem with either us or uk- it tends to be individual shows that annoy me. x

Tegan watches Disney junior or nick jr. To be honest I find the stuff on cbeebies to be really crap :lol: we never cbeebies in this house!

Madi much prefers the American shows. The only hit UK show in our house is Peppa Pig. Thomas the tank engine is banned. in this house.

Yeah there are definately crap and non educational UK ones too. CBeebies does have it's fair share of crap programmes like Zingzilla's!

Tom loves the one's that are not educational too, like B the Buillder, timmy peppa pig and Thomas the Tank

But I don't know what it is but as soon as an American one comes on I'm like noooooo, switch it off! But when I was a teenager I remember loving Kenan n Kel, Sister Sister n Sabrina lol!!!

My 4 yr old loves disney jr but I am trying to stop her from watching it. In the past week alone she has seen the 'garbage' man and the 'mail' man.

lol, we've just managed to get amelie to start saying fire engine and icecream van instead of fire truck and icecream truck :dohh:

Dec (who is 4) loves all the American stuff, yesterday he wanted to know when the "garbage" man was coming, last night the ice-cream "truck" was outside our house, at the shop he wanted "candy" and today we have to go buy some "Moutain Dew" (said in a real southern accent).

We stick to Cbeebies as I can't be bothered to pay extra for the Disney ones. I do like the slow pace of Cbeebies as well. She likes Mr Maker, Justin's House and Mr Bloom at the moment. My favourite is Abney & Teal, which my husband is convinced is set in Victoria Park in London.

She does have some old school Sesame Street DVDs from the 60s and 70s which are American as well as episodes of a (Canadian version) of Barbapapa. I'm inflicting my childhood favourites on her. I don't like the modern Sesame Street as I find it too brash and loud - plus I really hate Elmo.

I much prefer (as does my eldest) ameriacn ones, we love disney jr, i hated cbeebies! everytime its on it just annoys me. My OH puts on cartoon network when he is around, not sure what that is?

my 4 month old twins now love tv lol, they cry for the tv to go on and then just stare at it open monthed lol! obviously none of them are allowed tv all day lol but its terrible my 4 month olds love it!

It could be just the lack of channels, but I never found anything from the UK all that educational. :shrug: Probably because the only shows we got were Waybaloo, In The Night Garden and (back in the day) Teletubbies. :rofl:

Currently she's obsessed with Max and Ruby, before that it was Yo Gabba Gabba and before that, Blues Clues.

I grew up on Blue's Clues, SpongeBob.. all sorts of shows.. it didn't ruin me or give me a short attention span, even as a kid.

I can NOT watch Yo Gabba Gabba.. that shit drives me NUTS.. I hate the repetitive, creepy cartoons like that.

but to this day (even though I don't live with my little sister anymore) - I will still watch Wow, Wow Wubbzy :blush:

i have to do a few weeks cbeebies then a few weeks disney jr or i'd be demented! Were on cbeebies atm but some of the programs i find really crap! LO loves the ones like mr tumble, mr blooms nursery, waybuloo and INTG. He loves mickey mouse though! and jake and the neverland pirates and the rest of the disney ones.
I do find that cbeebies is good for the bedtime bit though, they calm LO dow somewhat for bed whereas the disney is very go go and hyper so i don't allow those before bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->