Ultrasound for toddler

xarlenex

Reaction score
My little boy has to have an ultrasound on thursday and needs to have a full bladder, but how can I do this? He's not properly potty trained due to problems with bowel movements which is currently being investigated. But will happily pee in a potty, and pull pants up and down.

But how do I make him not wee? Surely if he has a full bladder and I wont take him to a toilet he will just pee his pants. Anyone with experience?

Daisy's letter was told she needed a full bladder, she was coming up to a year old, but they put a cathater in and filled her bladder for her, not sure if they might do this? x

I imagine there's not much you can do other than have some water at hand and have him drink a bunch not too long before the ultrasound, like in the waiting room.

Can i ask why your LO's are having ultrasounds? Laila could have a problem with her hips, doctor said he'd make me an appointment to have it checked but didn't know whether it'd be an ultrasound or x-ray due to her age.. she ended up having an xray though? x

xolily did they scan Laila's hips for dislocation? On younger babies (normally 1 year under) they tend to US but for older ones they XRAY.

To the OP - I would get him to drink as much clear fluid (water, juice, etc) an hour before his appointment but nothing from half an hour before onwards. He will desperately need to pee though and may get quite upset. If he won't hold it they will probably do what they did to Hayley's LO and put him a catheter in to fill his bladder for him.

Daisy has tests cause she has kidney reflux (where urine spills into her insides rather than all coming out normally, causing her to be a very poorly girl :( )

Daisy has tests cause she has kidney reflux (where urine spills into her insides rather than all coming out normally, causing her to be a very poorly girl :( )

Tegan has that too. It sucks doesn't it :(

Asking a toddler to have a full bladder.... sounds a bit ridiculous to me. There is no way I'd be able to tell my toddler to not pee just yet. Hope everything goes well with the scan. :hugs:

James had an ultrasound at around 7-8 months because they saw something an x ray when he was having problems with his bowel movements and his tummy. They thought they saw something and they did an U/S and said the full bladder thing too...but it was fine. So Idk how they expect a baby nor a toddler to have a full bladder

xolily did they scan Laila's hips for dislocation? On younger babies (normally 1 year under) they tend to US but for older ones they XRAY.

To the OP - I would get him to drink as much clear fluid (water, juice, etc) an hour before his appointment but nothing from half an hour before onwards. He will desperately need to pee though and may get quite upset. If he won't hold it they will probably do what they did to Hayley's LO and put him a catheter in to fill his bladder for him.

yeah that was it :thumbup:

Can i ask why your LO's are having ultrasounds? Laila could have a problem with her hips, doctor said he'd make me an appointment to have it checked but didn't know whether it'd be an ultrasound or x-ray due to her age.. she ended up having an xray though? x

Thanks ladies :)

My son ended up in hospital due to what I was told, blockage of the bowel caused by severe constipation and a urine infection. However I got a letter in from the hospital that had been forwarded from my GP which said "...As you know Kyle tested positive for E-Coli..." I was never told throughout that stay in hospital he had E-coli.

Anyway, the ultrasound was to check there was no damage to the kidneys as far as I can make out, still waiting on my GP to call me to actually discuss this matter.

Hope your daughter is okay x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->