Underhand tactics - formula companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
havint read the replies but no formula is "closest" to breast milk,thats just bs. and i ff! xx

but how do you actually know that one formula ISNT actually better than another?
i think we have established that no formula is 'better' than breastmilk (other than being circumstansially better) but that doesnt mean that all formulas are equal?

Of course not, but I have seen many times people writing here: I use Aptamil because it is the closest to breastmilk...!
Is it? Or is it the most advertised formula?!

It's based on personal experience I guess. It's not because it's advertised. Aptamil is one of the most expensive formulas. Many FFing moms tried several formulas before settling with the right one that works for their LOs. It's said that it's the closest to BM because LOs fed on aptamil doesnt get constipated, their poo color & consistency is similar to BF LOs poo, it doesnt cause much tummy aches & gases, etc. So based on those facts, it's said that it's the closest to BM.

Aptamil constipated Lexi when I used it, Hipp didn't but she threw it up more (not too many people actually know about Hipp Organic formula, including hospital staff..I think I wrote about it before).. Yes, I was going to say that it is different if it is tried and tested and then, based on experience, we can say it works for us best (or not).. but it seems to me that a lot of first time mums read what's written on the carton and believe it and then spread the word..so other moms will use Aptamil because their friends do and, if it worked, they would never have to try another. Not saying that there is something wrong with that- just noting the power of advertising and free teddies :winkwink:

but how do you actually know that one formula ISNT actually better than another?
i think we have established that no formula is 'better' than breastmilk (other than being circumstansially better) but that doesnt mean that all formulas are equal?

Of course not, but I have seen many times people writing here: I use Aptamil because it is the closest to breastmilk...!

It's based on personal experience I guess. It's not because it's advertised. Aptamil is one of the most expensive formulas. Many FFing moms tried several formulas before settling with the right one that works for their LOs. It's said that it's the closest to BM because LOs fed on aptamil doesnt get constipated, their poo color & consistency is similar to BF LOs poo, it doesnt cause much tummy aches & gases, etc. So based on those facts, it's said that it's the closest to BM.

Aptamil constipated Lexi when I used it, Hipp didn't but she threw it up more (not too many people actually know about Hipp Organic formula, including hospital staff..I think I wrote about it before).. Yes, I was going to say that it is different if it is tried and tested and then, based on experience, we can say it works for us best (or not).. but it seems to me that a lot of first time mums read what's written on the carton and believe it and then spread the word..so other moms will use Aptamil because their friends do and, if it worked, they would never have to try another. Not saying that there is something wrong with that- just noting the power of advertising and free teddies :winkwink:

I have 3 different aptamil tins (LF, AR, & follow on), just checked them all, non says it's the closest to BM :shrug: & I didnt get a free teddy :(

& I know about Hipp organic formula but it's only sold in the organic shop here (Which is so far away from where I stay) although Hipp organic jars r found everywhere. So convenience is another factor for choosing formula brands.

I have 3 different aptamil tins (LF, AR, & follow on), just checked them all, non says it's the closest to BM :shrug: & I didnt get a free teddy :(

& I know about Hipp organic formula but it's only sold in the organic shop here (Which is so far away from where I stay) although Hipp organic jars r found everywhere. So convenience is another factor for choosing formula brands.

It really depends on where you live hun...

I've never seen it on the tin, but I did look at Enfamil's website and found this:

Which of your formulas is closest to breast milk?

Enfamil A+® is our closest formula to breast milk. Breast milk is the best nutrition for your baby, but when breast feeding is not possible or chosen, you can feel confident that the nutrients in Enfamil A+ are patterned after breast milk in the following ways:

The level of DHA (an Omega-3 fat) in Enfamil A+ is similar to worldwide mean breast milk values.*

The protein blend in Enfamil A+ is patterned after breast milk.†

The carbohydrate in Enfamil A+ is lactose, which is the primary carbohydrate source in breast milk.‡

Enfamil A+ has a level of choline similar to breast milk levels§

The nutrient blend in Enfamil A+ helps support normal brain and eye development, normal, healthy immune outcomes and normal growth.

* Average level of DHA in worldwide breast milk is 0.32 +/- 0.22 % (mean +/- standard deviation of total fatty acids) based on an analysis of 65 studies of 2474 women.
† Based on whey:casein ratio of typical mature breast milk (15 days to 6 months after birth)
‡ Based on carbohydrate content of average mature breast milk; remainder composed of oligosaccharides.
§ As calculated from the mean choline content of human milk determined by the IOM

So they definitely do try to promote it. I don't know, I can't say for other Moms as I can only speak for myself but I knew I wasn't giving my LO breastmilk when I switched and even though they might claim that a specific brand is "better" I knew enough that some babies reacted better to other formulas than others.

I still don't think there's a debate that BM is better, it is.

Agree. Using Nestle products is the norm here, but I dont like it as it's too commercial in my opinion. I remember their follow on formula & cereals ads since I was tiny. They always have stands in supermarkets, & they keep sending free samples. They keep pushing. I went for their formula at 1st, as it's the only one I heard of but it didnt work for Omar. Had to try several ones until we settled with Aptamil. I also dont believe there is formula closest to BM but for each baby who's FF for any reason there is formula that works as a good alternative when BFing doesnt work.

Agree. Using Nestle products is the norm here, but I dont like it as it's too commercial in my opinion. I remember their follow on formula & cereals ads since I was tiny. They always have stands in supermarkets, & they keep sending free samples. They keep pushing. I went for their formula at 1st, as it's the only one I heard of but it didnt work for Omar. Had to try several ones until we settled with Aptamil. I also dont believe there is formula closest to BM but for each baby who's FF for any reason there is formula that works as a good alternative when BFing doesnt work.

Nestle are well known for their awful advertising, hence the massive boycott - i believe it may be the largest in existence.

If someone asked me which milk is closest to BM i'd say aptamil. bloody adverts ;)

Im clueless about this whole nestle thing, why are they so bad?
I ignore most advertising so I probably miss alot of the subliminal stuff, I just stick to stuff I have used, know well or what I know from my mother sort of thing or some stuff thats on special offer at the time.(dont just mean formula I mean all everyday products)

The nestle boycott is due to their aggressive marketing techniques, especially in third world countries. Here is the link that gives more information.

https://info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

And wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé_boycott?wasRedirected=true

Not a nice company :growlmad:

Nestle are awful and immoral and also all their food is gross! I've currently broken the boycott though to eat sugar free polos to help with ms. They own everything. When did they get polos too?

We were given aptamil by the hospital when Byron was jaundiced abs wouldn't feed but later when we got some in for whatever reason he hated it. We went for sma when he was older and we got some for mixing with babyrice because it was the only one that didn't contain fish oils! :shock:

Nestle are awful and immoral and also all their food is gross! I've currently broken the boycott though to eat sugar free polos to help with ms. They own everything. When did they get polos too?

We were given aptamil by the hospital when Byron was jaundiced abs wouldn't feed but later when we got some in for whatever reason he hated it. We went for sma when he was older and we got some for mixing with babyrice because it was the only one that didn't contain fish oils! :shock:

Omar was fed S26 at the hospital. I wasnt planning to FF, but BFing didnt work for me as I didnt have milk. I had a tin of Quiqose- Nestle just incase as here it's said it's the closest to BM. Omar got constipated. When I went for his 1 mnth check up the nurses advised me to give him NAN gold - again Nestle. When I started giving it to him, he started to suffer from reflux, green smelly poo, tummy aches & lots of gases. At that point I started seeking advise frm baby forum & I found BnB. Many recomended Aptamil, & we gave it a try. He was on Aptamil AR for reflux & it worked like magic. If we had more awareness here regarding different brands of formula & if health providers r more educated regarding fomula, it would have saved us all the pain & struggle.

Isn't it great these ads (online versions) have since crept onto this forum - NOT :(

I have come here and one way to many occasions the full sma site has blocked me from signing in here asking me to join!, not a small pop up a whole site, full page. Same with the banners on the top.

If you have issues with ads use the Forum help & we will deal with them instead of bumping an old thread.

rach, your thread in the forum help is noted, there is no need to bump an old thread to make a point.

This thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back