Underhand tactics - formula companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach27

Reaction score
I realise the need for these companies to advsertise and how this is made difficult by a ban on advertising infant formula for 6-month-olds and younger but IMHO, this is a REALLY dirty game they're playing.

Obviously targetting first-time mums-to-be - I think this kind of advert ought to be banned as well.

It was a full page ad in Parenting and Pregnancy magazine.

Attachments

• BnB.jpg
    BnB.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 792
i dont understand what this advert is for??

doesnt seem bad to me

It's an advice line for pregnant women.

:grr: I wont get started on these companies ... they will try anything !!! :growlmad:

if you look on the sma website though theres lots of information on
Breastfeeding
Bottle-feeding
Feeding problems
Baby nutrition
Weaning
Toddler development
Pregnancy
Taking care of yourself
Baby care
Baby development

i think thats all the page is advertising.. just because someone might go onto a formula based website doesnt mean that they MUST then use formula.. theres even a section on their website ynder the breastfeeding section thats is called "breast is best" so i think they are just trying to help give info to pregnant women about all of their options.. i dont think its underhanded in the slightest/..... just mu opinion though...

A lot of companies have sites like this. xx

ETA: Nappy companies do it too

if you look on the sma website though theres lots of information on
Breastfeeding
Bottle-feeding
Feeding problems
Baby nutrition
Weaning
Toddler development
Pregnancy
Taking care of yourself
Baby care
Baby development

i think thats all the page is advertising.. just because someone might go onto a formula based website doesnt mean that they MUST then use formula.. theres even a section on their website ynder the breastfeeding section thats is called "breast is best" so i think they are just trying to help give info to pregnant women about all of their options.. i dont think its underhanded in the slightest/..... just mu opinion though...

Agreed!

At the end of the day, some people bottle feed, so why shouldnt they offer advice about other things?

I cannot read the whole ad but her in the States, Similac encourages breastfeeding and gives advice on their website, but also helps moms who choose to FF.

they have a right to advertise formula - i think its awful that people get completly slated for using formula!! we feed our babys! thats all that matters!!!!!!!

I dont get what the problem with the advert is?

I dont get what the problem with the advert is?

Agreed!

We all feed our babies,they are all happy and they all nurished.Whatever way we choose if its out of choice or out of need.

There is no need to make either FF or Bf Mums feel wrong with their choices,we need to accept that we all decide what is best for OUR children.xx

Sigh .... no one's slating formula or ff'ing generally ... :rolleyes: ..... just pointing out that a formula company providing an advice line is probably doing something underhand and using it in a sneaky way to advertise their formula when they're not supposed to.

I really hope people don't read this the wrong way and jump on it ... "that debate" is so boring and unecessary !!!! And not related to what the OP was intending at all! It would be nice if this stayed on topic ......

Although .... maybe i'm thinking a bit too cynically about it ... maybe SMA really are just trying to help and expand their repetoire a bit ........ I cant say I would recommend it to a first time mum looking for advice though.

I got this fact sheet when LO was born that they are advertising and its actualy very good, it gives alot of info about what to eat when breastfeeding, how to stay healthy, info numbers about breastfeeding problems and who to call for help.

Amongst all that there was only one page showing how to make bottles up safely so I dont think its underhand at all, it gave very good well ballanced infomation, somthing I was very surprised at from a formula company.
Plus I got a couldple of free muslin cloths that Brian wont let go of and fridge magnet :)

Unless anyone has actually called their helpline to see what they say then can't see how we can really comment? :shrug: I kinda fail to see how they could turn "I am worried about "x" pregnancy symptom at 20 weeks or so" into something that they can use to recommend formula. x

i dont see the underhand tactics :shrug: yes they are a company that makes formula who offer advice on all levels including pregnacy

pampers sell nappies, they do the same :shrug:

i dont see the underhand tactics :shrug: yes they are a company that makes formula who offer advice on all levels including pregnacy

pampers sell nappies, they do the same :shrug:

pampers are obviously underhanded too then :haha:

Your dammed if you do dammed if you dont.
I formula company is offering free advise about how to succesfully breastfead healthy and oh no they must be up to somthing bad and underhand.

try reading the fact sheets, info and phoning their helpline before you slate what the company are offering please.

Let's be honest - they aren't providing this line out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it so you have a positive association with their product. So if you decide to FF or have to for any reason, you'll think 'oh, that SMA company are good, they offer support/helped me with a query'. It's all about brand loyalty.

Same as giving muslins and freebies out - it's so you think you think of them if you have to chose a brand of Formula. Although I think it's good that they offer a lot of information on both ways of feeding, I don't agree with the way they advertise follow-on milk at all.

ETA - if I wanted BF advice I wouldn't call a FF company, I'd ask my HV or MW or LLL (someone impartial and with no financial gain from a decision i could make....) etc etc. I wonder how many BF mums do actually call them for advice?

OOoh ok. At the end of the day, companies DO want to sell products, but they can't force anyone to use formula...??? It's like, I'll see a really impressive advert on the tele - the cake one for instance.. when they make a life sized car - is it a Skoda - out of cake etc... I don't think "OOOH I need to go out and buy a Skoda!!!" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"