Underhand tactics - formula companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not so much the wanting the free toy that stumped me it was more the complaint of being sent info and a picture of a product that yourself had ordered that baffled me, I dont understand how you can order somthing and then go on to complain that you got it???

I wasn't complaining I had got it. I was complaining because I joined it to get generic advice about my baby and yet it seems the first thing they try and do is sell me their formula.

Its not so much the wanting the free toy that stumped me it was more the complaint of being sent info and a picture of a product that yourself had ordered that baffled me, I dont understand how you can order somthing and then go on to complain that you got it???

I wasn't complaining I had got it. I was complaining because I joined it to get generic advice about my baby and yet it seems the first thing they try and do is sell me their formula.

But it is their product so of course they are going to try and sell it?

I have to say, it isn't the first place I would go to get advice about my baby. They are known as a company that sells formula? Surely a website like this would provide more info?

https://www.askbaby.com

I had ordered the toys when I was still pregnant and wasn't sure about the whole feeding thing.. I had to use aptamil a couple times, because i didnt make enough milk, but I tried several brands to see which one suited her best. But sure a lot of advertising makes people believe that some formula is better than another, that is my big problem with them!

but how do you actually know that one formula ISNT actually better than another?
i think we have established that no formula is 'better' than breastmilk (other than being circumstansially better) but that doesnt mean that all formulas are equal?

Its a formula company, wheres the surprise?

So essentialy you are complaining that a formula company dared to send you promotional info that you asked for in the first place.

Nope. I am making the point that - referencing the OP - I went to Aptamil to join their baby club, just like SMA want pregnant women to ring them for advice yet, lo and behold, straight away an advert for infant formula is staring at me. No, it doesn't surprise me but that was the point I was making.

Thanks for clarifying Rach! Makes a bit more sense I guess, but I'm still confused a bit. :hugs:

But it is their product so of course they are going to try and sell it?

I have to say, it isn't the first place I would go to get advice about my baby. They are known as a company that sells formula? Surely a website like this would provide more info?

https://www.askbaby.com

I have to agree. When I was freaked out about my LO not gaining any weight, I didn't contact a formula company to have them mail me stuff. I wanted advice right then and there, so I called my doctor's office/public health nurse first.

but how do you actually know that one formula ISNT actually better than another?
i think we have established that no formula is 'better' than breastmilk (other than being circumstansially better) but that doesnt mean that all formulas are equal?

I think it is how one brand of formula is better for your baby, rather than just "better" across the board. It is the biggest downfall of formula tbh, and why I personally agree that BM is definitely better, there's no guesswork with it. I started out on one brand and it seemed okay but my little girl was so gassy. Then I went to another brand, and same deal. It was the third brand that I tried that worked for her and is what we stayed with.

At the end of the day, there is no brand loyalty out there. It wouldn't have mattered if the company sent me a year's supply of free formula, if it gave my little girl gas I refused to use it.

Of course a company- any company!- is going to say their product is better than the competition! Whether any product is better than its competition is almost always a matter of personal preference or situation- is Tide better than Gain (laundry soaps), Whirlpool better than Frigidaire (appliances) or Dove better than Hershey's? Who knows! Whether or not it's 'true' is beside the point- all companies need to sell their products! I understand being annoyed that a company is trying to get around the laws imposed upon their advertising (well, I understand that some people are annoyed anyway, although I don't feel the same), but being annoyed because a company claims its product is better than the competition's just kind of doesn't make sense. Should Enfamil, for example, be expected to air a commercial (where it's legal) saying "Hey, we sell infant formula, but they're basically all the same so Similac is good too, or you could try Earth's Best- it's organic!"

An ad that claims FF is better than BF could be damaging, maybe- but once BF'ing is removed from the equation and we're only talking about choosing a formula brand, it's not hurting us FF'ers to see different ads. We're already FF, what is there to "lose" iykwim? Besides, if they're all the same, it shouldn't matter which company we're swayed by because they're all just as good or bad as one another then!

Nope. I am making the point that - referencing the OP - I went to Aptamil to join their baby club, just like SMA want pregnant women to ring them for advice yet, lo and behold, straight away an advert for infant formula is staring at me. No, it doesn't surprise me but that was the point I was making.

Did you state to them what info you wanted help on like you would if phoning an advice line for say bathing tips (somthing they do offer)

Of course they are going to send out formula info, its a standard pack that they just send out to everyone that requests it, its completly different from phoning up an advice line with a specific question in mind.

I just applied to be in the Aptamil Baby Club. I would not expect the advertising to be as obvious as "Welcome to Aptamil Mrs Smith, how about feeding your baby some of our first milk in stead of breastmilk!" The marketing is subtle but always present.

But, I can see we're not heading for any sort of agreement on this matter either ;)

I can see what you where trying to do I think, it goes to show how easy it is for formula companies to get pregnant woman to formula feed rather than breastfeed . Obviously. When I joined them I seen nothing on breastfeeding, i didnt think about it and would have choosen aptimel. But now they are trying to get woman in their helplines, why when they never promote breatsfeeding in mail they send out? I did get all the stuff form them but never seen anything on breastfeeding, lots on milestones and milk and weaning. but then again are you surprised really? they are there to sell their product even though some seem to think they are there to help you with breastfeeding.

I just applied to be in the Aptamil Baby Club. I would not expect the advertising to be as obvious as "Welcome to Aptamil Mrs Smith, how about feeding your baby some of our first milk in stead of breastmilk!" The marketing is subtle but always present.

But, I can see we're not heading for any sort of agreement on this matter either ;)

Probably not. :haha:

Although in all honesty if someone truly wants to breastfeed, they'll do it. Or at least try. Look at Dragonfly, who was pretty sure she wasn't going to breastfeed and now look where she's at! :mrgreen:

I personally feel that it isn't the advertising of the company that's going to brainwash/lure people in to think that formula is somehow better than breastmilk, and I honestly can't recall anyone who actually thinks that it IS better. Sure people have decided to FF from the start, but I haven't come across anyone who made that choice give the reason that it was because of the commercials/advertisements that made them think that way nor because they somehow think formula is superior.

:shrug:

i wasn't educated on both thorough just formula from all my fam and friends. But once i done it felt right I seen the difference and nothing stopped me so i get what you say about if you want to you will. I had formula in the house people bought for when i would fail they said. I never listen to anyone but me anyway i look at the facts, go with my gut.

It really bothers me that people automatically assumed you would "fail". :grr: Very sorry that you had to listen to that. But at least you proved them wrong and then some! :happydance:

problem is my family and friends left when they thought I was making them out to be wrong dispute never discussing my choice with them as I didnt want confrontation. They think formula is the same and they used it and their kids are fine so whats my problem with it and why arnt I using it? Simply choice as I am rather lazy to and as well as seeing the loads of good it was doing also that I was wreaked and didnt have to make up bottles and my OH didnt have to either he got to cook for me and do a lot of other things. Loads of benefits for me and baby not just health wise, I am all for choice whatever suits people as formula wouldnt suit my life style sounds like more work to me.

I think their marketing should always be present...thats what they are...a retail company. I don't think anyone thinks a formula company is the place to go for medical advice, hotline or not.

I think their marketing should always be present...thats what they are...a retail company. I don't think anyone thinks a formula company is the place to go for medical advice, hotline or not.

Absolutely. I would be interested to know how many people use it though. It must be worth the cost of the advertising at least.

Absolutely. I would be interested to know how many people use it though. It must be worth the cost of the advertising at least.

Soo true. I FF since day 1, but never thought of seeking advise regarding formula or any parenting issues from formula companies. I look for advise & info from prefessional health providers.

Of course not, but I have seen many times people writing here: I use Aptamil because it is the closest to breastmilk...!
Is it? Or is it the most advertised formula?!

Of course not, but I have seen many times people writing here: I use Aptamil because it is the closest to breastmilk...!
Is it? Or is it the most advertised formula?!

It's based on personal experience I guess. It's not because it's advertised. Aptamil is one of the most expensive formulas. Many FFing moms tried several formulas before settling with the right one that works for their LOs. It's said that it's the closest to BM because LOs fed on aptamil doesnt get constipated, their poo color & consistency is similar to BF LOs poo, it doesnt cause much tummy aches & gases, etc. So based on those facts, it's said that it's the closest to BM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"