Uni Dilemma

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by jenny82, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

Am hoping someone on here has similiar experience, or will even just be able to help me decide what to do!!!!

So basically I work full time and study for a degree full time. This little man inide me wasn't exactly planned and is 150,000% loved anyway...

My original plan was to defer this upcoming uni semester and start back in Feb 2010 - I'm in my final year and this would mean I will graduate in Feb 2011. I would then just go on maternity as per normal in october or whenever...

BUT was thinking about it a few weeks ago and the possibility of actually completeing the uni year as normal. THis would mean I start maternity early in work (like mid-september) and start uni around then too.

I'm in final year so I don't have as many classes, but my worry is that I'll not be fit enough to complete the semester. Also, my EDD is 30th november, 2 weeks before the end of the semester, so I could potentially miss the last two weeks.

Oh, and note also that I would normally have exams for this semester in January, but I'm deferring these until August.

What would you do? I was worried about being the big, fat pregnant lady amongst a load of annoying 19 year old students, but that doesn't bother me so mcuh anymore.

I don't know how I'm going to feel towards my EDD - will I be too exhausted?? I feel grand now and have had a relatively healthy pregnancy...

Money is also a factor - if I was to defer this semester, then we would have NO money this time next year and the possibility that I'm not earning anything until 2011!!!

2. hattiehippo

hattiehippo Well-Known Member

I'm in a simliar boat...I work full time and I'm studying for a Masters part time. I'm due 21st December so have decided to take a years break and start back to studying in Sept 2010. This does mean i will have to do 2 modules together but I'm not confident I will have the energy or inclination to study in Nov and Dec this year. Also I would have to attend a study weekend in London at around 31/32 weeks.

Its a really hard decision to make. I can only say to be really realistic about how committed you are to studying and whether you're really going to want to when you're knackered and huge! I know I need lots of persuasion to sit down and study and have made my decision based on that. Also I'm concerned about my baby coming early as both I and my hubby were a month early so factored that in too.

If you are enjoying your degree and are really keen to get it finished as soon as possible then you could give it a go????? Could you try and then defer later if its not working???

3. Mrsahmed

Mrsahmed Well-Known Member

I am in a similar situation.

Im in my last year my baby is due in Jan 2010 and I finish uni in may 2010. Im determined to finish now no matter what because I know if I defer this year I will get lazy and probably lose touch with my course. I have quite alot of support from my family and OH so that helps a little.

I know its gonna be hard...but its not impossible xxxx

4. Kirstin

Kirstin Well-Known Member

It really depends what type of course you are doing? Something practical I wouldn't recommend. Will you be doing a dissertation?

5. jenny82

I can defer it if it doesn't all go to plan and still receive financial support from the student loans company.

I feel ok at the minute and have had no real problems in my pregnancy and still have a lot of energy, so am going to give it a go I think.

6. lalalen

lalalen Pregnant with #2 EDD 5Sep

I'd recommend having a chat with your personal tutor. They may be able to make a dispensation for the last two week of term? I would also recommend seeing you Student Union's Welfare Officer, as it likely they've got some experience in helping other students in a similar situ. They should be available still over the summer and are usually very helpful and unbiased, unlike college staff!

Good luck either way - brainy mums rule! x

7. jem02

jem02 Mirren 16/01/10

Im lucky enough that I finshed Uni this year but a girl in my class was pregnant last year, she came to class, done 2 jan exams had the baby before she could sit other, so done the resit in august for it, she didn't go back in feb but took a defferred semester for next year x

8. jenny82

Thats what I would've liked to do, but its all a question of money too. In that we're running a bit low :/

The sooner I finish, the better for everyone, so me & baby will have to work ourselves into a creche routine for 3 months and then we will be free to spend the summer together!

9. lottie_2007

lottie_2007 Mummy of 3!!

I'm due to go back in September to do my 3rd year but have decided to take a year out, i was at uni whilst pregnant with lottie and had to stop going and that was at 16 weeks ish as i was tired, sick and just couldn't keep up! I know that i will struggle with my final year as i'm due in Jan so i've decided on a whole year out x

10. jenny82

Well I feel ok most of the time. Was mostly tired earlier in my pregnancy but this has mostly cleared up now.

I am doing exams at the minute and they're going quite well and I'm quite motivated so I think I'll just try to continue and hope this momentum continues!