United States is the worst country could health care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finny88

Reaction score
I had to apply for Medicaid for pregnant women. I probably won't even get to be seen for this pregnancy until I'm out if my first trimester. It driving me crazy!

Hopefully you get approved. We have to pay $5000, and then 20% after that! Crazy.

I'm with PP. I had a $5000 deductible with my previous insurance and my doctor and an ER visit charged me $4000 from October - December.

Thankfully my company changed insurance companies and now my maternity benefits are covered in full after a $250 hospital copay.

Having a baby in the US is so expensive. I hope you get approved! Call and check the status everyday. Maybe you can go to your local health department for some prenatal care until then. Maybe see if the medicaid will back up and pay for any visits you attended before the approval came through. ??

Reading this makes me sad! I know we have great health care in Canada... no one should have that kind of a burden going through a pregnancy, I cant even imagine - you are tough cookies.. I hope you get your coverage sorted out... sounds like it really varies so much in cost depending on what your plan is and where you are from!

I had to apply for Medicaid for pregnant women. I probably won't even get to be seen for this pregnancy until I'm out if my first trimester. It driving me crazy!

I'm going through the exact same thing. Spent 2 hours on hold with dss today after contacting 2 other companies, just to be told there's a delay we don't know how long it'll take. Basically everyone I called gave me a run around telling me to call the other companies. Grrr I hate it! I just wanna make sure baby is ok.

Just my OB's fee for prenatal, postnatal and delivering the baby is $3500. That doesn't count the hospital fee, any procedures done on baby (hearing test is $600 and circumcision is $130 <-optional of course) if I get an epidural I have to pay the anesthesiologist separate. For an uninsured woman in the US to have a baby vaginally I expect the cost anywhere between $8000-$10000 depending on location. A c-section would cost more of course.

I also had to apply for medicaid I was approved in under 4 weeks they're also supposed to backdate it from the date that you apply so you won't have to wait for healthcare that's how it was explained to me. I found a dr who accepted it but I still wasn't seen until 11 weeks because he wouldn't see me until after 10 weeks so we could get a good ultrasound. It's all a nerve wracking process and I hate it.

Im on medicaid i live in georgia and had my first appt at 8 weeks with scan and had appt every foyr weeks since then it only took me like 2 hours to get signed up at my local health dept at 6 weeks. Hope you dont really have to wait that long for scan.

I only have to pay for a co-pay ($25) if I go in for a non-routine pregnancy scan. And then $250 for the hospital stay for birth. All my prenatal appointments and postnatal are covered.

Do you guys have healthcare coverage through your employer? I spend about $300/month for both my DH and myself (and that includes dental).

I never had a problem with the health care system so far. I also applied for medicaid both times that I was pregnant. The first time, I found out when I was about 4 weeks and applied right away. This time I found out at 6 weeks and applied. Both times it took them less than 2 weeks to get it processed and they did back date it to the date that I applied. I am also eligible for traditional health insurance that went into effect on 1/1 so I was able to use that for my prenatal appointment at 8 weeks while waiting for medicaid to kick in.

I am wondering if each state is different?

Posts like this frustrate me. Was this not a planned pregnancy?

You can't get medicaid until you are pregnant. So are you saying if you are not rich enough to pay 600 a month ( that's what it would be to get insurance through my husbands job with a 5 grand deductible) that you don't have a right to have a baby? Insurance and doctors are a rip off- doctors can treat you like crap charge you up the ass and not do their job yet get paid a sick amount of money..

Most people work all their life and pay into programs like medicaid with their taxes .. nothing wrong with needing the program if it comes down to that.

I just had to sign up for pregnancy medicaid myself- and even thorough there is a list of doctors that say they take it- when you call they will tell you they are not taking new people- and it's a lie.. What you have to do is go to the board of health- get a case worker and have them call.. the doctors wont say no them!

And this is your business because?

We pay $650 a month for our insurance and I'd give my left leg to have pregnancy Medicaid. I spend most nights praying to God that our high risk identical twins who share a placenta don't require millions in NICU time.

I can see that you've been through quite a lot. <3 The cynic in me says that this might be coming from a place of jealousy that these young ladies have their BFP with government help? I suspect that once you get a BFP, you'll have more empathy, sending :dust: as I know what it's like to want something for so, so long.

Some people just can't afford insurance and I'm one of those many people who are greatful for receiving government assistance. Down the road when I earn my degree and have a career I'm want to be able to give back and won't complain about how much tax is being taken out of my pay check. My son was born 8 weeks early and stayed in the nicu for 5 weeks that ended up costing over 100k. If I didn't have medicaid I could never pay that or it would probably take me forever to pay off.

I had medicaid and was seen at 8wks so its not bad as how you make it look

qe, please do tell me what else I automatically thought in 2 sentences? Please point out where I said if you can't pay 10k then you don't deserve to reproduce?

Medicaid exists for a reason. I'm all about it. I support the responsible adult that just can't make ends meets. Good grief, I remember not knowing where I would get food next.

I am FRUSTRATED that this us what cut resorts to. Its offensive to me that the US isn't supportive of basic maternity rights. I'm all for reform.

I don't agree with medicaid pregnancy. You're welcome to your opinion, and if you choose to be hostile, that's your tantrum to throw.

It shouldn't have to be MEDICAID. It should be a maternal safe right. It should be automatically accessible to those who become pregnant. If we have the right of public schools, how is this not hand in hand?

Too many abuse the system. Not enough pay in. No incentives for those to work within the system.

Anyway, OP, have you cobtacted WIC? Ours has a prenatal program that works through the health dept, and I know some girls can get an advocate.

Y'all chill. It wasn't intended as you want to take it.

Don't cuss a system that's trying to help. Its broken, jaded, and needs changed, but there ate people there specifically for this.

But at the same time so many people in the USA don't want public health care? I just don't understand that whole Republican debate? The longer the system exists, the more robust it becomes and the better quality of care you'll get (doubts? See first hand in Britain or any other Common Wealth country). You don't get better health care by whining that not enough pay into it or people cheat or abuse it or how many times have I heard a redneck say I take care of myself (while sipping a rye & coke), I don't want to pay for some fat guys healthcare who refuses to take care of himself. Palleeeeaaase, enough excuses already, some people are simply brainwashed by the rich wanting to get richer. And likely can't make the connection of how a lack of public healthcare contributes to that model (rich getting richer, poor getting poorer -and by design of the system less educated and healthy).

Petzy, the PC's in Canada are trying furiously (in Alberta anyway) to implement private USA style only-for-the-rich healthcare (as they slowly kill the public system). In the past 5 years they bankrupt a long term knee/hip surgery hospital here in Calgary, they've tied the hands of Fertility clinics allowing only 1 embryo to be put back, closed a mentally handicapped long term care hospital and forced those autistic/handicapped people back onto their families forcing ppl to quit their jobs to take care of them, cut palliative care nurses down to nothing (those people need the most care in our entire health care system -cancer patients on their deathbeds). Etc etc, I could go on and on.

There's so much going on under Harpers' watch we have no clue at the totality of it all. Kind of like Bush Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"