Update on My special little man!

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
Just a quick update on little Tommy for those who are interested and followed our story through pregnancy.

Firstly, Tom was diagnosed with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephelas at my 20 weeks scan and was born with a hole in the base of his spine which leaked spinal fluid. It was not clear whether there was any nerve damage to him below the waist but it was 90% likely.

He has an operation to close the hole at birth and an operation to insert a drain (shunt) into his head to get rid of excess cerebal-spinal fluid from his brain at two weeks old.

We just had our first check up with the neurosurgeons post op on his shunt and everything looks good at the moment! The shunt appears to be working well. We have to go back for an MRI scan when he is one year old to make sure there are no other brain conditions as they say babies with abnormalities usually have more than one defect. He will have to have a general anaethetic tho as he prob wont keep still:(

He also has had a full physio check and movement is excellant! He is kicking and doing all the normal movements but seems a little stiff in one leg - but hopefully a good exercise routine will cure that! Fingers crossed, there is no indications that he wont grow into a normal toddler.

I have to wait until december to have his bowels and bladder tested - but so far, he seems to be able to go for a pee, but not be able to empty his bladder. Which i think is good, as he can be taught how to empty it when he is older. I have to catheterise with every nappy change to prevent infection and kidney damage. His bowels seem to flow constantly most days - but this can be normal for such a young baby.

He has only just discovered his hands and isnt really using them yet - but it is still early days. The part of the brain which controls motor/coordination in Tom's brain is damaged but we wont know to what extent until he is much older. usually it just means the babies are a little slower to develop these skills.

Over all, he is doing so well! he could have had no feeling or movement from the waist down so I am sooooooo pleased!!:baby:

Aww glad things are looking good for you and tommy. :hugs:
xxx

glad things are looking good. well done little tommy x x

glad things are looking up for your lil man hunni
:hugs:
xx

Sounds like he's doing amazingly well...so happy for you :hugs: x

Pleased for you hun ... Sounds like little tommy is doing brilliantly! xxx

well i have followed your posts throughout your pregnancy and and always on the look out for new updates, i am glad tommy is doing so well and that things are looking positive for the future

Lou
xxx

I haven't followed your story, and I'm just reading all this for the first time.. but I work in a neurology clinic, and I just want to say that it amazing! I am so happy for you and your little one. He is doing excellent, and wish the best for both of you. :hugs:

Aw thats fantastic Emma, you must be so proud. :) Fingers crossed for the MRI scan when he's one :D xx

He's really doin well and i hope that it continues that way x

Glad he is doing well hun & things/you look positive *hugs* to you both

x

Aww what a strong little boy...keep up the good work babe, you're doing brilliantly.

Congratulations :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::cloud9:

So pleased to hear little Tommy is doing well :) I'm sure he will continue to thrive xXx

Glad to hear it Em!! Tegan's had her shunt out, she's still in the hospital and now has an external drain which is being taken out sunday and they're going to see if she needs a shunt or not after that because they're not sure if she does.

Anyway, glad Tom's doing ok :)

Thats great news hun:hugs: hope the little man continues to go from strength to strength:hugs:

Really happy that tom is doing so well! Lily went under general anaesthetic a couple of months ago for a ct scan, it was scary at first and i had many sleepless nights about it, but they forget it within an hour or so and are completely back to themselves soon enough! i think its a lot worse for us than them! If you ever want to talk about any of it, let me know hun, Its so helpful to get advise, i know its not easy hun. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->