Update: THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING. I don't know what to do

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
I apologise in advance for the length of this post, I'm just so ridiculously stressed and on the verge of a mental breakdown right now.
OH and I moved into this townhouse on the 4th of April. Things were amazing (the neighbours do leave a lot to be desired but hey we have a roof for our son) until yesterday. When we signed the lease, the body corporate that run the estate treated us like we were hooligan low lives but at first we didn't mind. People judge us for our age gap (8 years) and the fact we have our first child on the way. Who cares, right?
I should probably add OH told me before we moved in that I should deal with the finances like rent and bills etc. He works as a brick layers labourer and works his butt off as I don't have a job and only recieve government benefits as income. As a result of my anxiety, he agreed to pay rent every week once he finished work as I find it far too stressful being out of the house by myself. I didn't think about it once (the rent) as I assumed he had it covered.
On Monday, I heard a knock at the front door, well it was more someone thrashing their fist against the screen and I freaked out and hid upstairs. I came down about half an hour later to a letter attached to the door saying rent was 11 days overdue and had only been paid up until the 22nd of May! This didn't make sense to me as the 22nd to the 16th of June is 25 days, not 11. I spoke to OH when he got home and he told me he had spoken to them and had paid up until the 5th. As I had been paid that day, we went and paid a weeks rent right then (we didn't even have enough left over for food, which is usually what my pay goes towards).
Upon further investigation, I found another letter we had recieved on the 10th of June saying we're 19 days behind in rent. Body corporate had banged on the front door and spoke to my OH and they came to an agreement that we would pay one week on Monday just gone and two weeks this Friday. I can't remember what day that happened but it seemed sorted.
We woke up this morning to a letter saying our lease has been terminated and we have to leave by the 24th!!
I know none of that probably made sense but I've written it all out from the letters I've found, bare the verbal agreement date as I can't remember it.
10th June- First breech received. Rent is 19 days behind. Must be remedied by the 17th June.
16th June- Second breech recieved. Rent is 11 days behind. Rent paid until 5th June. Breech must be remedied by the 23rd June. $290 (one week rent) deposited to body corporate.
17th June- Third breech received. Rent paid until 22nd May??!! Notice to leave was also recieved.
That has all been put in order of dates and with exactly what each breech clearly states. OH and body corporate verbally agreed to have the excess rent fixed by the 20th which is this Friday and by law here verbal agreements such as these are still legally binding.
I'm freaking out sobadly right now! This can't be happening. I'm thinking about getting a loan today to pay the excess plus another two weeks so that we're a head but I still can't calm down. I have a feeling their screwing us over I just can be sure. So sorry again for the length of this post but as I said at the start, I'm so close to having a mental breakdown. I don't know what to do!!

Just wanted to bump this. Pretty sure OH has finished work and I'm here stressing out but he is probably at his.mothers house consolidating her because her two massive dogs have apparently killed OHs grandparents tiny dog. Far out! I'm sick of her constantly doing this! We have our own issues which are clearly hard enough. He should be here with me trying to fix our house problem, not being her crutch because she is too stupid to watch the dogs together!

That doesn't make any sense at all! I hope you guys get t all sorted out and don't have to leave :(

Do you have a tenancy agreement? Ours states that the landlord has to give two months notice if they want us to leave. It sounds like your OH needs to be open and honest about what he has or hasn't paid so you can get your dates straight and try to remedy the situation. Does he get a receipt if he pays cash, or can you check your bank statements? That way you'll know if they are overcharging you or not. Good luck getting it sorted

Do you have a tenancy agreement? Ours states that the landlord has to give two months notice if they want us to leave. It sounds like your OH needs to be open and honest about what he has or hasn't paid so you can get your dates straight and try to remedy the situation. Does he get a receipt if he pays cash, or can you check your bank statements? That way you'll know if they are overcharging you or not. Good luck getting it sorted

What she said ^^

Really hope it all gets sorted out.

What she said ^^

Really hope it all gets sorted out.

I agree with this also, if you pay via bank transfer you should be able to see when/how much you've paid on statements too.

Sorry to hear about the stress you're having. He needs to sit down with you and figure out a plan. You did just pay and then shortly after have an eviction notice. Surely they can't do that. You went to go pay straight away! So they still had their money. I'd ask to reconsider and that it won't happen again but some places are just a pain!

My other half agreed the payment date to be the 22nd rather than the 1st so I wasn't expecting to pay rent the first month I moved in until after payday and then he said he'll pay it all and I owe him back. Which I don't like that method. We'll have to pay a larger sum to move the date which I can't do. And because of all the dates of new bills and rent we missed one month due to the companies error and it all got crazy and confusing from there. So much so is that he'll have to pay one whole month on the 22nd coming up, then I'll have to pay one whole month on the 1st coming up. Leaving me with literally £200 for my other bills (which my car is more than £200 per month) and nothing else whatsoever. Just to stop my other half telling me I need to catch up on £X amount of money and pay him back, and to stop the housing company from saying we're behind.

It's horrible having a house worry especially when you're newly moved in! I just any believe how quick they've decided to kick you out like it's crazy you caught up and paid but they'd already sent out the notice.

I hope you get it sorted, but please don't let this stress get you down. You WILL figure something out. Even if it means you still have to leave and find somewhere else. It will be okay! You never know you may find somewhere more suitable wih nicer neighbours that is ideal for you and your family. Bit like fate. It's stress now, but you'll get through it and may end up in a better position than before xxx that's what I always try to tell myself and it helps a little xxxxxx

I'm so confused it doesn't make sense to me. Hope your ok and it gets sorted x

Thank you all for the support :hugs: I've spoken to OH about it and we have figured out a way to fix the situation. It just all depends on whether the body corporate will go for it. OH showed me a text message he had been sent before we even recieved the first breech that said everything needed to be paid by the 29th of this month, which is just over two weeks from today. So if they tell us we still need to be out, we can go to the RTA and they will sort it out for us. The rental agreement says they must give us 2 weeks notice, not one week like they did. I think they just want to get rid of us, I don't see why though. We're quiet and mind our own business. I'll definitely update you all when we speak to body corporate. We're currently at the mother in laws, helping with the house and kids as the youngest lost her two dogs to the pound due to them killing the grandparents dog and her son is going in for knee surgery today.
Fxd things go well but I'll definitely let you all know xox
Thank you again for the kind words and support

I and my husband have a 9 year age gap and I'm 5'1 and he is 5'10. However, I never really felt like I was being judged.

Anyhow, I am glad your situation is better now. :)

I think people first judgement is the fact I'm clearly still very young.

The husband came to the door and spoke to OH about the whole situation. It turns out his wife had been the one sending the notices and he had only just seen the eviction notice. It's all sorted now and although money will be tight, we still have a house! He told us that he wants to keep the good tenants and that he understands construction jobs can be temperamental at times and wouldn't kick us out with baby being so close. Hopefully OHs work holds up. I Jusy don't see why this man's wife was so keen to get rid of us? From the moment we met her she was quite rude and made it clear she disliked us but that's far from my mind now. Thank you all for the support xox

sounds like this lady has something big up her bottom if you ask me. Don't let her get to you-glad it's all worked out!

You've mentioned 'body corporate' a few times. Are they a management company? Who did you sign your contract with? I'm surprised it's the woman sending the notice of eviction if your rental agreement is with a management company? It would be the company's responsibility to evict you and recover the money for the landlord had you not been paying. I'm glad that things have resolved and that you spoke to the husband side of the landlords, but from what you've said I wouldn't trust there is good communication or record keeping going on between him and his wife! I'd make sure you keep your own records of payments and copies of the letters etc just incase there is ever an issue again. Hopefully that is the end of the matter now though and you can just concentrate on baby's arrival!

We live in a group of town houses. Body corporate is the husband amd wife. They manage the place. Will definitely be keeping track of all our payments from now on.

I would suggest you ask for what's he said verbally in writing. Alternatively type up your interpretation of the meeting and ask him to read and sign if he agrees with your record of the meeting/minutes are in agreement and any actions for either party to take.

As much as you want to trust him, at the moment all written stuff is against you so unless you get the resolution discussion also on record so you can keep to demonstrate there was alternative arrangements made subsequently to the previous letters, should things go pear shaped again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->