*UPDATED!!!* Does HCG drop before bleeding starts in an MC?

FartyBum

Reaction score
I'm so confused, had beta HCG done last Thursday morning (5 weeks pregnant) and got a result of 96.

Did the second test on Saturday morning and the result was 175. An hour or two after leaving the surgery on Saturday I began heavy bleeding, clotting bright red blood.

My question is, should the HCG not have dropped if I was about to begin miscarrying?

Today is Monday and the bleeding stopped late last night, so the heavy bleeding lasted for a day and a half total.

So confused! :wacko:

Those are low numbers for 5 weeks! Miscarriage is different for everyone!

I realise that they are low, but the point is they doubled (pretty much). Why would they double, and then I MC two hours later?

I realise that they are low, but the point is they doubled (pretty much). Why would they double, and then I MC two hours later?

It could be okay but since it was on the small rise end of the scale it could be bad news. My numbers were almost identical with my ectopic and I had a heavy bleed at about the same time. Not trying to scare you but take care of yourself and make sure to let your doctors know if you have ANY one sided pain or discomfort. Ectopics are rare but deadly. I hope this is not the case for you and all works out well. A lot of women have bleeds and everything is just fine. If you have slow rising hcg and bleeds your doctors should be running test for hcg rise every 2 days and keeping an eye on you.

Hugs and let us know what happens...

HCG levels can be so different for everybody. My HCG levels stayed the same for a week before I miscarried. I'm sure for some women the miscarriage happens with HCGs still going up. I think the only way to know is to do a scan and actually see what is going on. Good luck!

tbh I think its possible for anything to happen when it comes to miscarriage.

Do you have any follow up? Are you having bloods taken again?

Well she rang me with the results and asked how I've been and I told her about the heavy bleeding with clots and her reply was 'well actually your hormones did double as they should but the fact that you've been bleeding heavily means you're miscarrying, ring me if you feel any major pain"

hCG levels are one predictor of a healthy pregnancy, but not the only. Did they check progesterone too? It's an important marker. hCG can rise slowly, mine did, but it's important that it's rising. I also had a high progesterone of 46. A nurse did warn me that i might miscarry after she gave me the results of my 2nd hCG (135.6), but it was only a MIGHT (of course I heard the worst and therefore worried for days until I got more test results).

Check this resource out: https://americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

Well she rang me with the results and asked how I've been and I told her about the heavy bleeding with clots and her reply was 'well actually your hormones did double as they should but the fact that you've been bleeding heavily means you're miscarrying, ring me if you feel any major pain"

Clearly she went to the same sensitivity training as the nurse I saw this morning! No wonder you confused. :hugs:

Has the bleeding completely stopped now or has the heavy bleeding slowed to spotting? I would have thought in a very early loss you would bleed for at least as long as your normally would during a period.

Could you be earlier than you think and that's why the levels are low? When I miscarried at 5-6 weeks I bled for 10 days like a period.. I tested a week after I started bleeding and got a - test but I don't know what my hcg levels were like.

Sorry you have to go through this but I hope everything is ok

With my 3rd mc, I started bleeding although my hcg had gone up, but it hadn't doubled.
I had it taken on a Thur and it was 1568 and then on the following Monday it had gone up to 2156 and I started bleeding the following day.

I'm not sure how someone can be certain of a mc tho w/o further tests...a scan or more hcg levels. You numbers did double and some people do have bleeding in pregnancy.

That unfortunately is low numbers for 5 weeks. I am 5 weeks and my numbers were 1200 at 4 weeks and 2 days. When I had my MC at 5wks 1 day my hcg was only 24.5 and I bled for about 1 1/2 days heavy then spotted for 3 more days. Now that said, nobody here can say if you for sure had an MC. Your rising hcg would make anybody wonder. I reccomend getting another blood test in 48 hours to see what's going on. I know this is hard and the wait between tests is frustrating. Also when you MC everybody bleeds differently and for different lengths of time.

The bleeding has completely stopped. My boobs have been my only symptom of pregnancy and they are definitely still tender.

Having blood pregnancy tests isn't really the norm here in Ireland, believe it or not.

I just wanted closure, one way or the other.

My HCG kept doubling and was up to 56,800 by the time they found my MMC. I should have been 8 weeks and only a sac and yolk had formed. Anything is possible, unfortunately.

It doesn't sound like your doctor gave you an answer at all :nope: I'm sorry. Your doctor won't do any more followup? If not I would suggest taking HPTs at home to make sure they go back to negative, if in fact you are miscarrying. I think you can buy ones that are less sensitive which may be good because it can take a long time for your HCG to drop below 25. Or it could take a couple days. Who knows what our crazy bodies are up to :shrug:

To answer your question. Yes HCG can still be going up normally in a miscarriage (that was the case for me. Had normal and rising level HCG even up to the day before I started to miscarry).

Doesn't sound like your health care professionals are being much help to you. I'm sorry :hugs:

I'm sure with my MC back in 2008 my hcg was till going up slowly even though I was spotting then when it got worse it started to fall

My numbers dropped the day after I started bleeding. So the day I started spotting and bleeding my numbers had doubled.

You could try going to a different place tomorrow... You could deffinitly still be pregnant and its important to get proper care and rest if your having complications! Praying for you!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted, and if it's one thing I hate is when OP's don't update their threads.

So it's all still up in the air, my HCG which was 175 the night before I bled, rose to 216 three days later. Obviously not a huge rise at all. I had another repeat blood test two days later again and the result was 338. Doctor did a trans-vaginal scan and could see a thick uterine lining, but nothing else, no sac, she couldn't see anything in the tubes either. Two days later and my HCG was 588.

I am so confused. I'm assuming that big bleed I had wasn't in fact an MC due to the fact my levels are still rising. But they're still on the very low side. And they're not doubling every 48 hours. I'm still spotting, but when I say spotting, I mean VERY little. Just a smear of brown on the tissue after I pee.

Back next week for another scan. Don't know what to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->