Upset about neighbour

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
Our car seat arrived from Amazon yesterday but we were out, so a neighbour 2 doors down took the parcel in for us. These neighbours have taken parcels in before and it's been fine.

Hubbie can home and saw the slip, so went to the neighbours to say thank you and take the parcel. A young teenage girl answered the door who clearly didn't speak english well and Hubbie couldn't get her to understand what he wanted, so he said he would come back later - when we've been before there has been an older guy there whose english is fine and has seemed really nice.

So a little later, our immediate neighbour (inbetween us and the neighbour who took the package) knocked on the door with the parcel.... saying that she had found it in their back garden as though the other neighbours had just thrown it over the wall! Both her and Hubbie agreed that this was incredibly weird.... the worst thing is that this lady is the daughter of the people who live next door, and the couple who actually live there are on holiday. She was only there briefly to check the post so we were really lucky that she spotted it and was kind enough to bring it round.

When I got home and Hubbie told me this I was so upset - who does that sort of thing?! If you take a parcel for a neighbour you don't then just throw it over the back wall! And to the wrong house as well! I'm so cross that our lovely new car seat could have been lying in our neighbours garden for weeks in the rain and we might not have known. If you're not prepared to hold onto it for a short while just don't accept it, there's no obligation to!

I'm in 2 minds to go and tell them how rude that is and next time please DON'T take our packages if you're not willing to look after them. I'm hoping that the nice, older guy just wasn't around as this has never happened before with them. I'm still so furious that someone could be so negligent with someone else's property.

Sorry to rant but it really upset me, I just don't understand why someone would do that. :cry:

That is terrible no wonder you are upset. If they threw it over the wall then your car seat is not actually safe to use any more either.

I would definitely be going back around and complaining!

That is terrible no wonder you are upset. If they threw it over the wall then your car seat is not actually safe to use any more either.

I would definitely be going back around and complaining!

Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that! It's a fairly low wall (3 or 4 ft), would that be enough to warrant it unsafe? :(

It is not advice to use them if they have gotten dropped. It is a personal thing but we dropped one once and wouldn't use it afterwards. I'd be making sure it got replaced one way or another and would complain to Amazon. :flower:

Is the car seat damaged in any way at all? Maybe give the manufacturer a call before assuming it is unusable.

Not cool about the neighbours either, I would maybe just mention it to the older guy, maybe he didn't even know that it was delivered?

Thanks for the advice ladies! I texted Hubbie and he said that as the box wasn't damaged at all he's confident that it wasn't dropped heavily and that the seat will be fine. He's very sensible and would be wanting to return it if he thought there was any risk so I'll trust his decision there.

I'm not sure that complaining to Amazon is going to help too much - it's normal for their couriers to leave packages with neighbours and as long as that neighbour is happy to take it I presume what happens to it from then on isn't their responsibility?

i had this problem.
my sons toddler bed came early and i wasnt home to accept the package.
i came home to find it left outside my front door. and a note in my letterbox saying it had been left with the neighbour.
-.-

That is truly bizarre. I'd be irate. As for the safety of the seat, I'd call the manufacturer too and just see what they say. You could probably complain to someone but it can be so hard to get good customer service through places, courier or amazon, that I don't know that it would work. I'd definitely follow up with the manufacturer though. That sucks, I'm sorry.

i had this problem.
my sons toddler bed came early and i wasnt home to accept the package.
i came home to find it left outside my front door. and a note in my letterbox saying it had been left with the neighbour.
-.-

What is it with people and packages?!! Though at least yours was left outside your front door and not in your neighbours back garden.....

I think I'm going to have to go round and say something, though Hubbie will probably tell me it's not worth it. Maybe I could write them a note instead?

Are you sure the courier didn't do it? Is their back garden accessable to the courier? I only ask as I ordered monitors from eBay and when I got home there was a note from the courier to say they had left it with a neighbour but I couldn't understand the writing, I was going mad trying to find where it would be and let the dog into the garden, a few minutes later I heard her barking and when I looked she was barking at a parcel that had been thrown into the garden IN THE RAIN!! It was the monitors, I was livid and was going to complain but just didn't get round to it! I think the courier was yodel xx

Are you sure the courier didn't do it? Is their back garden accessable to the courier? I only ask as I ordered monitors from eBay and when I got home there was a note from the courier to say they had left it with a neighbour but I couldn't understand the writing, I was going mad trying to find where it would be and let the dog into the garden, a few minutes later I heard her barking and when I looked she was barking at a parcel that had been thrown into the garden IN THE RAIN!! It was the monitors, I was livid and was going to complain but just didn't get round to it! I think the courier was yodel xx

Wow, that's terrible!! I hope you complained! I've been really unimpressed with Yodel in the past, they have left a note that they attempted to deliver a package and I was HOME! So they hadn't even rung the bell, I was fuming. I don't think Amazon use them anymore?

Our back gardens back onto other gardens and we have immediate neighbours either side so there is no rear access at all, it was definitely the neighbour dropping it over the wall.

Newborn safety should be paramount. You don't have any idea how hard it was thrown, dropped, whether they abused it indoors.

I wouldn't trust 'well the box looked ok'

Personally - I would be getting a new seat. AND giving neighbour a bollocking.

That's awful. I would definitely be saying something to the neighbour, even to just make sure they didn't take in parcels for me again! I don't get the logic of some people. If you don't want to take in the parcel just tell the delivery person that!

If the box wasn't damaged then I'm sure the car seat is fine. In all fairness parcels get thrown about during transit anyway -did anyone else see Dispatches on TV last week!?

Wow, that's terrible!! I hope you complained! I've been really unimpressed with Yodel in the past, they have left a note that they attempted to deliver a package and I was HOME! So they hadn't even rung the bell, I was fuming. I don't think Amazon use them anymore?

Our back gardens back onto other gardens and we have immediate neighbours either side so there is no rear access at all, it was definitely the neighbour dropping it over the wall.

That is just so strange!! I would be asking the neighbour why they did it and also let them know that they could have damaged the seat and made it unusable!!! What is wrong with people. Xx

That's awful. I would definitely be saying something to the neighbour, even to just make sure they didn't take in parcels for me again! I don't get the logic of some people. If you don't want to take in the parcel just tell the delivery person that!

If the box wasn't damaged then I'm sure the car seat is fine. In all fairness parcels get thrown about during transit anyway -did anyone else see Dispatches on TV last week!?

I agree, I didn't see Dispatches but did see the ad for it and I can guess the sort of abuse our parcels get on their way to us! I agree that newborn safety is paramount but in this case I'm going to trust my Hubbie's judgement, if he thinks it's safe then that's ok for me. He's VERY cautious so if there was any worry from him it would be going back.

Hubbie has said that he will have a word with the older guy if he sees him any time soon, and has told me not to worry about it.

I can't help but still feel really cross though! :growlmad:

Thats awful! Maybe when you order things online in the future, sometimes they give you a section for delivery instructions, you could say please do not leave with number blah blah, to try and stop it from not happening again.
Hope your car seat was ok

I feel bad for the UPS guy. I always ask them to throw the package over our back wall. They must get so many different types of requests and have to remember which house wants what.
If you a package cant be thrown, it will be labeled as such. Don't think they don't throw it throughout the whole shopping process just because you haven't seen it.

Yep they are extremely rough with parcels throughout the whole process, we ordered a buggy board direct from the manufacturers via Argos and it came to us with the box completely smashed up and all the pieces coming out of the box. The courier insisted I just sign for it and put the box was open when it arrived so it would be easy to return. Upon inspection it was totally fine and unscathed but it's not the first time we got stuff delivered by courier which looked like the box had been reversed over by a truck! I don't order car seats online anymore as you just don't know how they have been handled on the way to you xx

Royal Mail has to retain liability for the package until it arrives with you, just in case you wanted a refund from them.

As for your neighbour, I'm pretty sure what she did has something to do with misappropriating someone else's post, which is pretty serious. I can't find the laws on postal theft at the moment but it's your property she's damaged.

That's so disrespectful. Why they would just throw it over the fence is beyond me. Maybe jealousy? Why else? Why accept it for someone then throw it? It seems like jealousy, IMO.

And yes, delivery trucks can leave packages with neighbors. And neighbors, if they're NORMAL, would hold it for you until you come home. SMH, I'm sorry hun.

BTW, just wondering, why aren't you allowed to use it once it's been thrown around like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->