Urgent - doctors note for sickness/ calling in sick

Kmx

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can help me. I've been in my job for over a year with no sickness. I currently work 3 days however I am about to increase to full time in 2 weeks. I have a holiday for next week (3 days).

Anyway I really need advice. I Need to take my 3 days off this week. I'm worried it looks suspicious as I have a holiday for next weeks 3 days so technically ill be off from work for over 2 weeks whilst only taking 3 days holiday.

Anyway all that aside, I need something that is going to sound believable and won't ask many questions about why I need 3 days.. I was thinking kidney infection?

But the main question is, can a doctor write me a note for sickness and put down the wrong reason for this? My doctor has offered to write me a note but didn't say what it would say. its been confirmed that I will miscarry/possibly have an ectopic pregnancy and I can't face work today worrying it's about to happen. Plus I'm emotionally in bits. I have also to go to hospital today and tomorrow so would be leaving work anyway at some point during the day once I know when my appointments are.

But I don't want to call my employer and tell them kidney infection and that I've got a note from my doctor and then the doctor isn't able to lie on the note. There's no way I can tell my work the real reason for various reasons but mainly because I just don't feel comfortable telling them.

Anyone experienced in This?

I'm so so sorry your going through this, thinking of you lots x x

I always thought if you were off for less than 5 days you didn't need a doctors note but I may be wrong. When I had my miscarriage I ended up telling my main boss but explained that I didn't want anybody else to know so asked her to say that I was ill with a bug. Obviously everybody feels differently in these situations but I actually found it useful having my boss know the truth.

I hope things are easy on you x x x

I'm so so sorry your going through this, thinking of you lots x x

I always thought if you were off for less than 5 days you didn't need a doctors note but I may be wrong. When I had my miscarriage I ended up telling my main boss but explained that I didn't want anybody else to know so asked her to say that I was ill with a bug. Obviously everybody feels differently in these situations but I actually found it useful having my boss know the truth.

I hope things are easy on you x x x

Thank you :hugs:

I know what you mean, it would be nice to be able to tell my boss but unfortunately I just know it wouldn't be received well. It's a very male dominated industry and I'm one of the only females In my office. I know they legally can't discriminate against me but I'm afraid they would.

The doctors certificate can just say for medical reasons you are unfit for work, you can tell your employer it's of a personal nature and that you have a certificate and legally they can't demand anymore from you

I'm sorry to hear about your imenant loss. Doctor said to me you can self certificate yourself for up to one week and you don't have to give a reason. I would do that x

Thanks all. My boss wasn't too pleased at all and asked if i could try to be in for Wednesday and there's important work to be done. I just said I would try but obviously if the miscarriage has started then there's physically no way I can go in. Maybe if it hasn't started I'll go in and hope for the best.

They do not have to state a reason. I have had doctors write notes for everything from pregnancy induced migraines to cysts to domestic violence to whatever. They NEVER write down what I am missing for, just that it is their medical opinion that I be excused from work. Sometimes, they'll say something generic like as the result of a medically necessary procedure, xx is to be excused from work on such and such date. But usually it is short and simple, excuse her from work for this many days based on my professional medical opinion on official letterhead.

Hugs. My last bfp ended in a miscarriage and my gyn wrote me a one sentence letter stating I was to be excused from work for up to five days. I told my boss what happened. I kind of threw up in her office and was losing my s*** so I had to tell her, but she took it so well. We cried and hugged and she had people drive me to my parents so I wouldn't be alone.

:hugs: you shouldn't have to be worrying about this right now. As pp have said you can self cert for 7 days, then a doctor can write a note to say you're unwell and not specify why. It should be enough.
Sorry things are not going as they should be x

Your doctor can't lie but doesn't have to put a reason either. I would recommend telling your boss as he will probably be a little easier on you, if for nothing else because it's uncomfortable. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->