US tech freaked me out.. help!

wheelz23

Reaction score
Hello ladies
I went for a private scan, to determine gender yesterday. (it's a girl!!!) However, while I was there, she looked at the baby and goes "and you said you were 17 weeks and 2 days..?" and I said yes... and she goes "the femur is only measuring 16w5d." .... then didn't bring it up again.
What does this mean? Is my baby not growing correct? Should I be worried?

I am so over the moon that we are having a little girl, but now I'm just a little scared that she's not growing correct.
She was so cute! Ugh. Anyone else?

Do any of you have a longer torso and shorter legs? I do. Two of my kids do. I wouldn't worry about it. We're not all designed the exact same way - how boring would that be? :) But that's only a 4-day difference, nothing too strange if you ask me.

My kids' legs are normally 3 weeks ahead of everything else. Genetics just takes over after a point and 4 days behind doesn't seem too far off. Not all babies are born to the same size and proportions. I really wouldn't worry. :flower:

I have to agree. A few days off isn't too startling and this is the point where genes start taking over development and babies start measuring ahead or behind. It's why they use your earlier scans for dating :)

My doctor said they usually only worry if it's 14days off. My child is measuring 5 days ahead but They said that's fine it usually only matters at 14 days

Most doctors give up to a week to be off by, but then it could simply be that your DD will just be a bit on the shorter side. Not unusual at all. My first baby had legs measuring over a week ahead while my other two had legs measuring shorter than average. My DS is still on the shorter side, in the 40th percentile for height. I'd say don't stress too much. Everybody grows differently xx

There is a pretty big margin of error in dating pregnancy by ultrasound after the first trimester, that is why they do dating scans in the first trimester. That is less than a week, I would not worry.

It's only a few days difference, I would try not to stress on it. Was the private scan being sent to your primary OB? You could always call them and ask about your concerns, they would probably be able to put your worries at ease better than any of us :)

Maybe baby just has shorter legs. My best friend growing up was always taller than me, but my legs were longer than hers. If we stood side by side she was taller, but my hips were far above hers :shrug: We're all built differently :)

I agree with everyone else, it sounds to me like you can be excited and forget the worry :). My ds1 is long and tall, long legs and arms, ds2 has little bitty legs and a stocky body like his dad heh.. I have asked at every ultrasound this time and they told me first that baby had longer legs and shorter body, then one month later shorter legs but long arms! Also was told he will be 7 lbsish and midwife says no, over 9 lbs! So when it's that close in measurement I dont think theres any need to worry :) Congratulations on your baby girl!

thank ALL of you!!! I would be so lost without this board. I'm a first time mom and struggle with anxiety so bad. Thank you for all of your reassuring comments.
I am SO EXCITED I AM HAVING A DAUGHTER.
Feels so weird saying that. <3

Congrats on the girl!

I was told my DS1 had a short femur and would need to come back for additional testing etc. Named off several scary things it could be. I sat there for a month worrying and stressing. I went in for my regular OB appointment and mentioned what the doctor at the US had said. So they sent me to the high risk place to be checked again. Turns out that a shorter femur means practically nothing in isolation. Only when combined with other measurements (ie- a humorous bone measurement that is equally behind- and much more than just a few days) would it really be cause for concern. I sat and stressed for a month over something that didn't really mean anything. Never went back to that US place.

If that was the only thing that they mentioned, it's very very likely that all is just fine. Keep in mind too how tiny these measurements are. Even just a small difference in the measurement can make a big difference on the dating. :flower:

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Sometimes you can measure a week behind or a week ahead. U/s dates etc more accurate the further along you are.

Congratulations on your girl. Don't worry, I had my 20 week anomaly scan on Friday and femur length was measuring 19 weeks whilst everything else was just over 20 weeks. Sonographer didn't even mention it and I'm not concerned as OH is only 5ft 6 so quite short for a male. I'm sure it's genetics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->